Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 01:28:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioWhere to begin?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Where to begin?  (Read 1259 times)
Wisheez
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2012, 01:06:55 PM »

Hello there!
I've been a TIGforums lurker for the past two years, somehow I decided only today to become part of it(maybe because of the really bad english).

Anyway, I'm making one of the usual, boring, "Beginning Topics" but I really don't want to disturb anyone.

Alright, here's the question, I always wanted to be some sort of 8bit/chiptune artist but only in the last week I started to think that I could really make it.
I used to play the guitar for 3 years, and everyone says that I'm a fairly good singer but, besides that, assuming that I could produce something cool: which program/tool/tracker should I learn to use?
Remember, I've never made music!
(damn, this looks seriously unpolite  Sad )

Hoping that my english didn't ruin the whole essence of my question.

err, sup?
GavinHarrisonSounds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:08:25 PM »

Everyone will have a different suggestion I'm sure, but I personally go with using the original equipment and if needed put the samples into your preferred sequencer.

Andrew M
Level 0

music, sound, web

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 01:15:05 AM »

I wrote a whole long post then re-read your post and noticed the "never made music" part.  In this case I would probably suggest you try FL Studio, as it's the simplest interface and will have you creating music the fastest, in all likelihood.  Compared to all the other software I was writing about, you will almost certainly find it the easiest to start with.

Other software to consider or check out:

MilkyTracker (traditional, cross-platform open source music tracker)
Renoise (commercial but very powerful music tracker)
FamiTracker (NES tracker for PC)

ShuffleBitSound
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »

If you want the hard road, start with Famitracker or Milky.  Otherwise, I would second the Fruity Loops suggestion.

You need to know:
1. Basic arrangement (bass parts, mid parts, treble instruments, rhythm)from listening to traks you like.
2. Sequencers!  These are just grid-looking applications for inputting sounds and playing them back.  You may be familiar with guitar tabs--it's a little like that--a replacement for sheet music.
3. Basic Keyboard.  Almost all sequencers are based on keyboard notes and harmonies.  This is really just basic music theory.  Your approach to composition may mean that you need to know what notes constitute the chords you are playing on guitar.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »

just try out a bunch of programs and pick whichever one you're most comfortable with. all decent sequencers/trackers/daws can do more or less the same things anyway, esp if you're just trying to make "chip" music.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:59:26 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »

Never made music? I'd start with trying to make an arrangement of some simple songs with an easy tracker.

Try PxTone: http://buzinkai.net/PXTone/tutorial/

It was made by pixel ! It's really nice and has a few things in it (very basic sound/voice generators...tracker)

It's got a very simple piano roll interface, and is user-friendly, and you can make nice stuff with it! Keep working till you make something you like, share it, then as you grow more confident try other mediums/read about techniques and whatnot!

good luck!

play hydlide 2
ShuffleBitSound
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:26:57 AM »

Great link seagaia
Never made music? I'd start with trying to make an arrangement of some simple songs with an easy tracker.

Try PxTone: http://buzinkai.net/PXTone/tutorial/

Never seen that one before!  I would have recommended a tracker like that if I had known about it.

Thanks

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic