Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 10:17:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioIs there a Chiptune/Orchestral mix genre?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is there a Chiptune/Orchestral mix genre?  (Read 2073 times)
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »

Hello TIGSource! Glad to finally have a reason to post, I'm working on a game that mixes a bunch of new and old with platformers and I'd like to get a musical style to match. Fez does something awesome like this visually, but the audio is mostly ambient chiptune stuff, whereas I'm looking for something closer to Super Mario Galaxy 2 meets Sonic 2.

Electronica can also be a big influence, but I want the focus to be on reviving yet retaining an old thing. Inspirations are the Bionic Commando Rearmed soundtrack, artist dummeh whose work was seen recently here on TIGSource with Pirates of New Horizons, and the Tron Legacy soundtrack (where Daft Punk went for an orchestra/electronica merger)

Examples of attempts in the chiptune/orchestra genre are DJ-Nate's Chiptune in my Pants and

. Does anyone know of any artists who have successfully merged orchestrated and chiptune music, playing both in the same song? (or at least capturing the aesthetic of it) Thanks guys!

Sidenote: I'm also generally looking to find out what the Kirby/Sonic/Mario musical genre is in general, but I figure that's much easier to figure out than this.

EDIT: to throw in a question mark icon by the topic name, because heck, why not. Tongue
Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »

Double post because Dummeh/Blake Robinson just went and posted the exact genre I was mentioning:

Very, very interesting. And delightful Smiley But does anyone know any more artists working in this genre?
ShuffleBitSound
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »

I try to blend the two.  I especially resonate with the Sonic 2 feel.
Here's an example of a combination I feel is successful (even though the only "chiptune" part of it is the lead line): http://shufflebitsound.bandcamp.com/track/crossing-dunes

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic