Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:35:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMost Unique Games You Know
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Most Unique Games You Know  (Read 20591 times)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 03:52:23 AM »

Time Slaughter: Cactus found this a while ago, it's a super violent shareware fighting game from 1996 (made by "Bloodlust Software" no less). It's visual style is the naive disturbed visual style that you may or may not be familiar with, and the intro is just hilarious in its gratuity. Watch the intro to see the hilarious antagonists and some eye drilling action:

Ha ha, pulling someone's innards out and using them as bagpipes is like the most creative gruesome death I've seen on a screen.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2011, 05:30:28 AM »

Apparently, Catherine, the new game from the Persona Team at Atlus is a psycho-sexual survival-horror puzzle game?Droop
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:03:02 AM by Sorano » Logged
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 07:38:41 AM »

Sounds good to me. The Shin Megami games have always had some sort of unique hook. Take Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha Vs. The Soulless Army- it's set in  1920s Japan and includes historical figures of the day, and your main character runs a detective agency and just so happens to be able to summon/command demons.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 07:47:29 AM »

There are games that are unique for their gameplay and games that are unique for their graphical style, sound and thematic.

Kirby's Epic Yarn for instance has a very unique art-style but does nothing really new.. Tim Schafer games (like someone mention, Brutal Legend) usually have a very unique setting and art-style (Psychonauts and Grim Fandango).

So, let me use this thread to ask you guys: which kind of "uniqueness" is more important for you?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »

Apparently, Catherine, the new game from the Persona Team at Atlus is a psycho-sexual survival-horror puzzle game?Droop
Oh that title reminds me of an old obscure french PC game called Isabelle
http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/Isabelle/Isabelle_Review.shtm

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2011, 08:40:43 AM »

I heard of "CAPTAIN BLOOD" on Atari ST very recently and it has fascinated me ever since

I have no idea what its about
something about blowing up planets and communicating with aliens through a strange glyph-based language

(also awesome fucking music what the hell)

ArmchairArmada
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »

There are games that are unique for their gameplay and games that are unique for their graphical style, sound and thematic.

Kirby's Epic Yarn for instance has a very unique art-style but does nothing really new.. Tim Schafer games (like someone mention, Brutal Legend) usually have a very unique setting and art-style (Psychonauts and Grim Fandango).

So, let me use this thread to ask you guys: which kind of "uniqueness" is more important for you?
To me unique gameplay mechanics and design elements are more interesting.  Anybody can clone the gameplay from another game and give it a different graphics style or have it take place in a different setting.  I'm more interested in the games that have something about them that has never been (or at least rarely been) copied.

I considered having "Rocket Robot on Wheels" in the list, but then wondered if it really was unique or if it was just a really good 3D platforming game.  I decided to leave it off the list.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2011, 10:12:48 AM »

I heard of "CAPTAIN BLOOD" on Atari ST very recently and it has fascinated me ever since

something about blowing up planets and communicating with aliens through a strange glyph-based language

We should ahve cactus and increpare team up to develop a spiritual sequel to that game.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2011, 11:21:37 AM »

I'm a massive fan of Kongai on Kongregate. It's distilled turn-based RPG-style battling turned competitive.

I've never seen a game that's got so much excitement with so little by way of graphics. It barely moves visually and yet it's utterly thrilling to play. I haven't seen many games that have made RPG battling competitive, other than Pokemon, but I find Kongai way more intense.

Also, that Captain Blood game looks awesome - so bizarre!

TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2011, 11:37:44 AM »

Actually, it seems much less unique now that the gameplay has been shown. The setting is still very unique, but I'm almost sure this kind of climbing puzzle has been done already, although I don't remember where right now.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:43 AM »

Apparently it's quite good, according to a Japanese friend of mine.
The puzzle/action sequences are quite varied.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »

To me unique gameplay mechanics and design elements are more interesting.  Anybody can clone the gameplay from another game and give it a different graphics style or have it take place in a different setting.  I'm more interested in the games that have something about them that has never been (or at least rarely been) copied.

Yes, anyone can clone gameplay and put it in another setting but thinking about a unique and interesting setting and visual style can be as hard as thinking about unique gameplay mechanics.

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2011, 01:08:54 PM »

I had Captain Blood on the Spectrum. Properly bizarre. You had to travel the universe trying to track down and re-absorb a bunch of clones made of you, which involved traversing weird vector valleys. At the end of the valleys were representatives from a whole pile of different (and deeply odd) alien races who you'd communicate with using a sort of universal heiroglyphic language. They'd be friendly or smug or hostile at you, and some of them would give you coordinates of other planets to go to in an attempt to track stuff down. There was a secret ending in which you chat up the naked purple female alien and she shows up on your ship and reclines on your wacky biomechanical spaceship dashboard, all naked and purple and female.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2011, 07:14:14 AM »

Captain Blood was definitely unique. 

Of the same era, I can't think of a modern equivalent of Carrier Command.

Lords of Midnight on the Speccy was unique.

These aren't the most unique I know of, because there are too many that are totally unique.  These are just some that sprang to mind.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2011, 05:46:11 PM »

great idea!  Gentleman

• Snake, Ratlle 'n' Roll - pretty unique isometric platformer where you have to eat enough nibbley pibbleys and climb up magic mountains in order to reach the moon. (features also a 2 player coop mode).
    originally released for the NES... but got also ported to the sega genesis (aka mega drive).
    Wikipedia, Moby Games,

Snake, Rattle 'n' Roll was probably the closest thing to a 3D game you could play for the NES.  It would be pretty sweat if someone would make a full 3D sequel.

indeed...that would be fantastic!  Smiley

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
mirosurabu
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »

I was trying to remember the name of that game for so long! Damn! Thanks!
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »

is about as unique as games come.
tylerthedesigner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2011, 04:00:55 PM »

Games that are unique due to mechanics or aesthetics?

A few that haven't been mentioned-

Progress Quest http://progressquest.com/ (If you consider it a game)
Specter Spelunker Shrinks http://gamejolt.com/online/games/platformer/specter-spelunker-shrinks/1865/
Rom Check Fail http://www.farbs.org/games.html
The Club by Sega (not so unique with Bulletstorm)
Minecraft
Love http://www.quelsolaar.com/
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2011, 04:30:19 PM »

Picked up

for cheap recently.
Tuba
Level 10