Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 04, 2024, 12:05:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallYou Only Live Once
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: You Only Live Once  (Read 4104 times)
raiten
« on: July 31, 2009, 11:57:41 AM »

You Only Live Once (flash game)

This is actually a precursor to my previously released game "Free Will - The Game" - I sort of came up with that game while I was waiting for one more Japanese voice actor for the Japanese dub for this game, so it's been pretty much finished for quite some time now.

It took way too long time to finish and I sort of hate the game pretty much by now, partly because of the time it took to finish it, but also because I'm not too happy with the graphics and the way it actually plays. Also the whole crazy idea of having 2 dubs - I'm not used to bringing in other people so it feelts kind of weird playing something that's partly me but partly somebody else. Kind of cool too though.

I still think it's based on a really good concept though Smiley

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on this in the feedback forum (a while back).
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:04:54 PM »

Hilarious. :D

Works a lot better now that you don't have to spoiler.

raiten
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 01:12:02 PM »

Yeah, I'm glad I implemented that change (after somebody suggested it in the feedback thread. Thank you, somebody!)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 01:59:08 PM »

sorry for the off topic, but why are all flash games becoming so focused about existentialism? Paul?

Back on topic: very nice game, I like the art style, even if it's all over the place, this must have been a lot of work to do!
Next time don't do a joke game and it wil be awesome

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »

Pretty funny, but more movie than game it felt like.

Echoing moi's sentiment, I look forward to a meatier game from you in the future.  Gentleman

Corpus
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »

Really nice! However, as seems to be the case with many of these flash games, the actual gameplay felt very unpolished - the movement and jumping were not particularly enjoyable.

Apart from that, the attention to detail was great, as was the dragonlizardthing's yorkshire accent. I clicked through every continue.
SidM
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 05:08:59 PM »

I got to a 3 cannon jump and mistimed and died.

Now, there's this chick who's standing there and not doing anything.

Now what?
Corpus
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 05:29:57 PM »

Did you click continue?
SidM
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »

There was no Continue.

She went "Oh my god" (or something like that) and that was that.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »

hahaha this is awesome.

Venks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 06:45:21 PM »

Pretty interesting game.
My first play through I made it to the rotating yellow platforms and couldn't see below me very well and jumped to my doom. I them realized that like 'Free Will' I wasn't gonna play again. A simple refresh wasn't gonna do it. I enjoyed the comical death scenes and eventually saw a zombie hand reach out the grave. I started reading comments and someone said you could play as a zombie. So of course I spent the next 30 minutes refreshing. I got the zombie to leave the grave, but it didn't do anything. Then once the zombie was gone I was quite disappointed.

I figured out how to clear my flash game data and tried to beat it. Took me a hour to beat the game. First the yellow rotating platform room I kept mistiming jumps. Then the room after that you have to jump on one of the canon shots to get across the first gap. That took me forever. I was counting in rhythm with the shots "One and two and, one and two and..." to time my jump with the shots. Each time I said 'one' the canons would shoot. Jumping at "One" was too early while the first "and" was too late. Eventually I gave up on orally timing it and just waiting for the canon shot closest to the ground to touch the highest canon's base. Once I learned that it was smooth sailing.

I noticed a lot of things that could of been polished, but seeing as the game is only meant to be played once I guess that didn't matter. I very much enjoyed the challenge. It was like a super, ultra easy version of Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Which is quite difficult.

Would love to see a game featuring more game play.
raiten
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 10:58:30 PM »

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I feel like the thing I spent the least time on was the actual gameplay and level design. I probably spent half the time mouth synching Smiley
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 11:06:10 PM »

great little game. nice work.

ps. i didn't know you did Doeo...  Beer!

EDIT: oh man, i refreshed thinking i could start again, and then again... the grass was a great touch!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:09:47 PM by aeiowu » Logged

undertech
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 11:08:48 PM »

I died on the first pit.

I was looking forward to trying again and clearing the pit next time.

That hope was dashed rather cruelly.

Love the voice acting. And the sound effects. Very good.
raiten
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »

There was no Continue.

She went "Oh my god" (or something like that) and that was that.

Hmm, that must be a bug... I'm gonna see if I can fix it. You should be able to see the next ending if you refresh though.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 03:57:52 AM »

:D

Oh goodness me. I died on uh, level 5 I think. That was great. Played in Japanese, English subtitles. IT'S THE ONLY WAY KIDS. But, uh, yeah, great stuff.
raiten
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »

I made a sort of... follow-up to the game.

http://bit.ly/hyulh

A tribute of sorts.

If you haven't played through "You Only Live Once" nothing much will happen, so play it first (the outcome of YOLO decides the outset of this).
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 08:20:51 PM »

Amusing, but I think I fell into a sort of bug? I started the game up but once I'd gotten past the opening cinematic realized I didn't have time to play it right that instant, so I closed the window. When I came back to it later it immediately went into the TV news report thing. I never even got off the first platform.

I hadn't seen Free Will before this thread, I think I liked that more.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
raiten
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 01:39:09 AM »

Amusing, but I think I fell into a sort of bug? I started the game up but once I'd gotten past the opening cinematic realized I didn't have time to play it right that instant, so I closed the window. When I came back to it later it immediately went into the TV news report thing. I never even got off the first platform.

It's not a bug, you left him alone in the castle and he ended up dead.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 11:12:58 AM »

It's not a bug, you left him alone in the castle and he ended up dead.

True, fair enough.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic