Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411687 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 10:59:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAdlib
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Adlib  (Read 2690 times)
aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 07, 2009, 03:46:30 PM »

I'm working on a new word game for Mochi's Word Play contest. Today I thought I'd introduce it to you and share some screen shots. I'm interested in getting feedback from the community and especially in finding some people who would like to beta test the game before it's release -- slated September 18th -- and help make the game even better.

Adlib (working title) is a word game which combines the best elements from games such as Bookworm and Bejeweled. It's a faster paced puzzle game wherein the player has to work to find new words while growing his vocabulary and casting spells to help manage the board. Check out the screenshots below to get a sense of what the game will be like.

Adlib is developed in Flash and will be available both through the browser and as a downloadable using Adobe AIR. I'm really interested in hearing what you think and if you'd like to help out why not sign up as a beta tester? If you think Adlib looks cool I'd also really appreciate if you help spread the word by telling a friend. Check out my site for more details or go here. Over the next couple of weeks I'll be posting more updates about the game including a look at how I developed the gameplay and art style. I hope you'll stay tuned.

Title Screen

In-game Screen

Cheers, Alex!  Beer!

My site: Spotted Zebra
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:42:19 AM »

The ui design doen't really go with the lovely paintery artwork, especially in the first screen. Apart from that it looks really nice.
aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:53:39 AM »

The ui design doen't really go with the lovely paintery artwork, especially in the first screen. Apart from that it looks really nice.

Hey, thanks for the feedback, can you clarify what you mean by "in the first screen"? Are you referring to the play/high score buttons? What about them in particular?

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 01:29:20 PM »

The buttons, but also the logo. They are nice, but in a shiny classic style, which clashes with the much less precise, softer and more arty style of the boys.
aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »

Thanks for clarifying, I'll have to think and see what I can do. Obviously they're meant to connect to the whole magic spellbook theme but I see what you are saying. Hm...

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »

I do like the swirly text of the logo, i think the main problem i have is how shiny they are. Maybe try them without the bevel/gloss effect on the logo and the top of the buttons? I don't know, maybe it's just me and i'm being overly critical ...

I did a quick (and very rough!) paintover to try and explain what I mean more clearly:

Obviously it's messy, and i didn't bother to touch the buttons, but I think the style is more in keeping with the rest of the art. Feel free to totally ignore me though Smiley
aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »

I really appreciate all the time you've invested already, thanks! At some point I will be revisiting the title and I'll have the artist I'm working with try some different things based on this feedback, if you'd like I can post or PM you the results. Also if you're interested in beta testing the game in a couple weeks let me know!

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 02:27:36 PM »

No problem, I was bored and it only took a couple of minutes Smiley

And yeah i'd be interested to se what he comes up with. Not sure i'll have the time to really beta test the game unfortunately. Wouldn't want to commit to it and then have no time to actually be helpful!

By the way does the artist have a site? Because i really do love the two kids artwork.
aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 02:32:12 PM »

Yep, I see I forgot to fully credit him up above, I'll fix that now. The artist is Von Caberte and you can find more at his site or read about another game he worked on Bonnie's Bookstore (toward the bottom).

As for betatesting I fully understand if you don't feel like you have time. That said I hope you'll reconsider when it's finally ready as any feedback is helpful, especially when it comes to fine tuning the balance and pacing of the game.

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »

Wow. The guy's been published in expose? That's some high flying artist you have there!
aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 01:52:01 PM »

Hey everyone I thought I would share another update about Adlib. This time I wanted to post about Adlib's story. Check out the line art for the storyboard:

So what’s the story about? Well two siblings are visiting their grandfather who lives somewhere remote. Grandpa’s asleep, though, so what are the kids to do? Obviously, it’s time to explore some of the nooks and crannies of the house, which is when they stumble upon their grandfather’s secret library! Needless to say there’s always a penalty for discovering someone’s secret, and in this case the children have found a magic spellbook and triggered a powerful spell! Now you'll have to work to figure out how the book works in order to undo the transformation magik.

Anyway, that's it for now I hope you'll stay tuned for future updates, and that you're getting excited to try it out this September. If you'd like to play Adlib sooner and help make the game better feel free to sign up as beta tester.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:54:54 AM by manunderground » Logged

aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 02:24:01 AM »

The deadline for the contest is approaching so I've started getting non-game things in place. To start I've registered a new domain and set up a simple splash page. Let me know what you think!

http://www.playadlib.com/

Behind the scenes I'm working on the larger site for the game. I'd like to have a few things besides simply the game, perhaps a chat room where people can discuss the game. Does that sound like a good idea? What other types of services have you found have helped your games?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 02:29:31 AM by manunderground » Logged

raiten
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 08:37:40 AM »

I think the contrast of the text against the background is fine. It's meant to stick out a bit, isn't it?
aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 09:45:04 AM »

Yea, I think that the title (Play Adlib) should be front and center commanding your attention. After that either the picture or the sign up box should be the next thing the user focuses on.

aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 12:27:40 PM »

Adlib has been released! You can play it now at http://playadlib.com. Please give it a try and let me know what you think. Adlib is currently available through the browser as a Flash game or for purchase as an AIR application. If you enjoyed Adlib please support it by sharing it with your friends. The easiest way to do so is to use the social networking links below the game on it's site.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the game or site, feel free to leave it here, through a private message, or through the chat program. Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic