Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:19:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGood old games: gog.com - Now in Open Beta!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Good old games: gog.com - Now in Open Beta!  (Read 14981 times)
CaseyTheGreat
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2008, 12:13:43 PM »

I'd really like a beta invite key if anyone can help me out.

I need my SHOGO fix!
jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2008, 02:16:34 PM »

Sent you mine!

Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2008, 01:04:12 PM »

For anyone who missed out on a beta key for GoG, they've now opened up the beta. They'll also be adding Disciples and Gothic within the next week.

Unfortunately they seem to be a little slow with expanding their library so I haven't bought anything since the first time I went there...

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2008, 04:46:33 AM »

The best news for me is their deal with Strategy First. They said they'll be adding Jagged Alliance. So if that means they'll also get Jagged Alliance 2: Great, that's my next purchase on GOG Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »

interesting interview with a GOG person at EEGRA, for the curious. 
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2008, 06:07:47 PM »

Disciples? I think I still have that game somewhere. Twas brilliant.

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2008, 03:31:52 AM »

Where do I find a list of all Titles on the network and what titles are likely to be added to it (soonly)?

€: well, okay. found it.  Roll Eyes

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2008, 06:57:37 AM »

THREAD NECROMANCY!

So, some time later, what have people bought on GOG, if anything? I bought Sacrifice, Arx Fatalis and Disciples 2 when they had their buy-two-get-one-free thing going on. Arx Fatalis seems good, only played about an hour of it so far; Disciples 2 is not downloaded yet; and Sacrifice is amazing.

I find it hard to believe that I haven't heard more about this game before. The gameplay is really tangibly tactical; in most RTSes, I find that until you reach a high difficulty, a lot of the strategy is not very apparent; it seems like you're just throwing units at each other. In Sacrifice, I always feel like I won because I did good and I lost because I skrood up. Also, the story is excellent.

As for the GOG service, I've found it pretty good. There are a few tiny graphical glitches in Sacrifice that I haven't bothered to try and fix, and when I was downloading Arx Fatalis, it screwed up somehow and I had to do it all over again. Could be quite annoying with some larger games, but they are still in beta.

I think their business strategy is very effective. By going DRM free, they've created an emotional response in the consumer that makes me much less likely to pirate their games. The other day, my friend asked to borrow Fallout (which I bought on CD, not from GOG). I told him "No, if you want it, buy it from GOG. If you won't pay $6 for it then you probably wouldn't have liked it anyway." And then I felt warm and fuzzy inside. Now I think about it, that sounds kind of dickish of me, but I think it was the right thing to do.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2008, 11:12:31 AM »

Oh man, they added gift certificates. Now I'm just hoping someone will buy me Unreal/Unreal Tournament Tears of Joy

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2008, 11:34:43 AM »

But you could already buy a physical copy of fallout (including a physical copy of the amazing manual) for nearly as little on amazon.com. So I don't see what the big deal is. Old games are still available for sale, and I'd rather have a physical copy for 7$ than a digital copy for 6$.

TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2008, 01:23:51 PM »

Old games are still available for sale, and I'd rather have a physical copy for 7$ than a digital copy for 6$.

Not only are old games still for sale physically, but GOG deals mostly with publishers, not developers.

Any Interplay games on GOG go to funding a company that does not deserve to still be in business.  Interplay CEO Herve Caen ran the company into the ground, and Interplay is a known offender when it comes to not paying its employees.

Strategy First is another shady company that does business with GOG.  Jagged Alliance, for instance, wasn't even developed by them, they just happen to own the IP.  They have also been accused of not paying their developers, and have had a major run in with Introversion for this reason.

Companies like this are nothing but unnecessary middlemen who profit off the exploitation of IP.  The original developers are not getting any of the money from a lot of games on GOG.  I, for one, would rather spend the money on Amazon, get a physical copy, and give my money to someone who doesn't directly exploit our industry.

In Sacrifice, I always feel like I won because I did good and I lost because I skrood up. Also, the story is excellent.

Agreed, Sacrifice is definitely up for most underrated game of all time.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2008, 02:38:01 PM »

But you could already buy a physical copy of fallout (including a physical copy of the amazing manual) for nearly as little on amazon.com. So I don't see what the big deal is. Old games are still available for sale, and I'd rather have a physical copy for 7$ than a digital copy for 6$.
I think it's worth it just because it actually works.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2008, 03:27:01 PM »

What do you mean by actually works?

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2008, 03:51:08 PM »

I think he means it is already patched and everything to run on Vista.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2008, 04:01:50 PM »

Can't you patch it manually?

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2008, 04:41:09 PM »

i tried before
there were about a bajillion different patches.
none of them really worked

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »

Can't you patch it manually?
I guess so, but I never had to do it. XP, FTW!
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2008, 07:51:27 PM »

Old games are still available for sale, and I'd rather have a physical copy for 7$ than a digital copy for 6$.

Not only are old games still for sale physically, but GOG deals mostly with publishers, not developers.

Any Interplay games on GOG go to funding a company that does not deserve to still be in business.  Interplay CEO Herve Caen ran the company into the ground, and Interplay is a known offender when it comes to not paying its employees.

Strategy First is another shady company that does business with GOG.  Jagged Alliance, for instance, wasn't even developed by them, they just happen to own the IP.  They have also been accused of not paying their developers, and have had a major run in with Introversion for this reason.

Companies like this are nothing but unnecessary middlemen who profit off the exploitation of IP.  The original developers are not getting any of the money from a lot of games on GOG.  I, for one, would rather spend the money on Amazon, get a physical copy, and give my money to someone who doesn't directly exploit our industry.

Sad You've ruined everything!  Cry

But seriously, wouldn't you still be giving money to the publishers if you bought a physical copy? I mean, Black Isle is shut down, so no matter where you buy Fallout, it isn't going to go the original developers. Or if you got it second-hand, you would just be giving money to some random guy, which I guess is probably better if you really hate the publisher.

TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2008, 08:22:44 PM »

I think it all boils down to personal preference.  I just wanted to make sure that anyone who might have a problem with that knew where their money is going.  Really, its not GOG's fault that Interplay and Strategy First are companies of ill repute, but I have to question a business that partners with known shady characters.

This is actually an instance where I really think piracy is an acceptable route.  If I can't give a random person my money for a physical copy, then I don't want one.  I would rather just pirate a game than give my money to people I know don't deserve it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 08:27:33 PM by Haymarket » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2008, 08:19:25 PM »

Paying a publisher does encourage money going to future developers, at least to some extent.  The used game market is also not a total loss for developers, as the prospect of re-sale raises the value of their product.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic