Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:00:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDifferent favicons for TIGF, TIGS, and TIGdb
Poll
Question: Different favicons for TIGF, TIGS, and TIGdb. Makes sense?
Makes sense - 38 (86.4%)
not - 6 (13.6%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Different favicons for TIGF, TIGS, and TIGdb  (Read 3409 times)
qubodup
Level 1

icons?

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:12:58 AM »

Heylo,

I want to suggest creating different favicons for forum, blog and database. This way they will be better distinguishable when looking at the browser tabs.

Please think what you tell on this.

For example: TIGdb icon . Of course everybody can tell that this one sucks but someone with access to the original logo files could produce a decent one. (without background)

Pancakes.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 07:28:25 AM by qubodup » Logged
qubodup
Level 1

icons?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:03:20 PM »

Can you tell me whom to contact, who might have the sources of the logos?
increpare
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »

Derek probably.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:43:44 PM »

It's a good idea. A basic change of colors would do the trick.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »

That's some attention to detail, there.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »

Love this idea. So cool.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 01:26:56 PM »

That's a good idea!
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 01:35:29 PM »

Haha, qubodup, you are the proliferator of favicons.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »

That is now his title.

No question.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
qubodup
Level 1

icons?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 06:49:52 PM »

That's a good idea!

Did you get the electronic mail that asked you for some nice-to-edit stuff for making a favicon? Or are you now working on an own? Smiley

That would be cool (though even cooler would be a Fav Icon Mini-Competition!)

That is now his title.

No question.

WTF How did you do this? Oh wait, I did this.

PS: My last FavIconJob:
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 06:52:24 PM »

Did you get the electronic mail that asked you for some nice-to-edit stuff for making a favicon? Or are you now working on an own? Smiley

"Electronic mail." Ha ha ha ha.

That made me laugh.  :D Thanks.

It's fun that you're taking this as seriously as you are. Many people like to be productive with bigger things than 16x16 icons.  Tongue But yeah, this is a brilliant idea. Some people use that Firefox extension that only shows favicons instead of showing the name in tabs.

My personal suggestion is to leave the TIGSource one as it is, for the TIGdb one have a gray background with a solid white joystick thingy and for the TIGForums have three of those joysticks, one in the front and two in the back.

EDIT: Kind of like this
I did a sloppy job so I wouldn't steal qubodup's spotlight and job.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:19:51 PM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
qubodup
Level 1

icons?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »

The lack of smiley leads me to thinking that you might in fact be not joking Smiley

PS: Crap, this can be red as an insult. Is not supposed to be such. Sorry.

About the 'job': I'm offering to do it, because I wouldn't like to demand others to do it. I don't think my result would be optimal, but it would be good enough or attract someone talented  Grin

PPS: Thanks for your ideas and work. The left one has a background that makes it hard to identify the joystick and the right one is too edgy (non-shaded) other than that your approaches seem valid.

My only concern is that the icons would not be very connected to the page they represent, as no TIG page contains icons in any of the styles you proposed.

This is why I think a small version of the TIGdb joystick would be good for the TIGdb site. For making a difference between forum and blog... we'll have to come up with something.

That multi-joystick idea sounds good. Hope it works with 16 pixels.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:36:01 PM by qubodup » Logged
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 07:38:19 PM »

The lack of smiley leads me to thinking that you might in fact be not joking Smiley

PS: Crap, this can be red as an insult. Is not supposed to be such.

About the 'job': I'm offering to do it, because I wouldn't like to demand others to do it. I don't think my result would be optimal, but it would be good enough or attract someone talented  Grin

PPS: Thanks for your ideas and work. The left one has a background that makes it hard to identify the joystick and the right one is too edgy (non-shaded) other than that your approaches seem valid.

My only concern is that the icons would not be very connected to the page they represent, as no TIG page contains icons in any of the styles you proposed.

This is why I think a small version of the TIGdb joystick would be good for the TIGdb site. For making a difference between forum and blog... we'll have to come up with something.

That multi-joystick idea sounds good. Hope it works with 16 pixels.
Of course I was not joking. You seem to be more into this than I am so I want you to do it. I'm really looking forward to what you can cook up.  Smiley

And yeah, I don't like the icons I made much, either. GIMP anti-aliased the shrunken joysticks a lot more than I would have liked, which I don't know how to change, and the solid white joystick on gray didn't look as good as I'd hoped.  Tongue

But as I said, I didn't work much on this. You should.  Wink

P.S. I thought that idea I had for the TIGdb icon would be nice because the logo on that site is similarly gray and white.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 11:53:28 PM »

Eh, sorry for what follows.

I just cleaned up the existing favicon into 3 colors + transparency (NES sprite style I guess), added the missing button, and made two versions with alternate colors.

qubodup
Level 1

icons?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 05:29:29 AM »

P.S. I thought that idea I had for the TIGdb icon would be nice because the logo on that site is similarly gray and white.
I thought it was good to use the joystick from TIGdb, because it is different from the other two and I think that more difference is better for differentiating. (I might be wrong.)

Eh, sorry for what follows.

I just cleaned up the existing favicon into 3 colors + transparency (NES sprite style I guess), added the missing button, and made two versions with alternate colors.

Why sorry? They are so nice! And clean!

The only question is: Is color-coding appropriate for differentiating between TIGS/F/db?

Waaait a seecond!

Haha! I guess it is. Would ya care to create a violet one? (Am I correct in assuming that the violet color would be the appropriate one for playing the TIGS role?)

In any case, your icons there will definitely replace the current one!

Man! So crispy!
qubodup
Level 1

icons?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 06:11:01 PM »

First test

first fail.

Derek: Any chance to get our paws on the TIGdb's logo?
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »

these with corresponding colors are exactly what i was thinking they should be!

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
qubodup
Level 1

icons?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 03:02:51 PM »

these with corresponding colors are exactly what i was thinking they should be!
So which colors do you think are corresponding?
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 07:03:03 PM »

good question. i guess in my opinion i think it would be cool to have corresponding colors. but i think we can come up with something with out treading on dereks design toes. maybe the colors agj used are good. color coordination is a really good technique, but maybe there are others. can they be animated?

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
qubodup
Level 1

icons?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 07:37:38 PM »

good question. i guess in my opinion i think it would be cool to have corresponding colors. but i think we can come up with something with out treading on dereks design toes. maybe the colors agj used are good. color coordination is a really good technique, but maybe there are others.
But what are the corresponding colors for you in this case? Is it a technical term? (Google made that impression, though Wikipedia didn't.) And what is color coordination?

What color of agj's icons would match what section of the TIG sites then?

can they be animated?
Animated? Heck, you can play games in them!

However, I'm sure using animated favicons would attract the attention of the style police. Luckily they appear not well-supported. (Firefox only.)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic