Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411678 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 09:10:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTIGsource Comic Strips
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: TIGsource Comic Strips  (Read 14560 times)
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2008, 09:40:58 AM »

I used to read Ctrl-Alt-Del, back when it was a penny arcade clone. I quit when he proposed to Liah.

Main issues with CAD:
One Man Design - He has noone to bounce Ideas off of. Case in point: The Frozen throne comic he wrote, he had Arthas lamenting about how no one was coming to see him and how board he was, the thing is, if he had someone to tell him he was wrong, he wouldn't be making simple mistakes like that.

The Art is worse then his fans will tell him- Listen, his art hasn't gotten much better since his first big change 4 years ago. The vast majority of his panels are copy pasted from previous panels. They are 3/4 talking heads mostly with the same dopey face on. When action does happen, it's flat and uninteresting. Look at his 'pin-up' for Gears of War 2, it is boring and flat, its two burly men holding hands.

He hates any criticism- This is a big problem, if you can't take constructive criticism, how do you expect to grow as an artist. He actively deletes any descending opinions from his forums. This has gotten so inbred that he as mods scan new users so that previous users whom he has kicked have no chance of joining again.

His storylines are contrived and wretched. It used to be a gaming comic, now its a boring drama comic with 1d gaming related characters. The problem with setting up your characters as comedic foils is their jerkness doesn't really transcend to interesting characters for drama.

He is socially enept. The Jakie incident. The WoW guild Incident. The Nuking of one of his forums Incident. How he talks at Cons. All of this

Also his TV show that he puts online for $30/year is just as wretched and lazy as his comic and he has people pay for it!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
The-Imp
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2008, 12:09:35 PM »

The Art is worse then his fans will tell him- Listen, his art hasn't gotten much better since his first big change 4 years ago. The vast majority of his panels are copy pasted from previous panels. They are 3/4 talking heads mostly with the same dopey face on. When action does happen, it's flat and uninteresting. Look at his 'pin-up' for Gears of War 2, it is boring and flat, its two burly men holding hands.

if he drew it at a different angle, it certainly would look better. Their stances are quite... Dull, he really needs to read up on his art stuff.
Gnarf
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2008, 12:30:31 PM »

He is socially enept.

As are lots of really awesome comic artists.

Being able to draw isn't much of a requirement for making really brilliant comics either. (Though it's possibly a little retarded to put whatever amount of work into it making it look mediocre.)

Not that I'm saying CAD is worth a damn or anything. I checked out a few of the latest strips. Apparently it's a Star Wars fanfic. Or something.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2008, 12:56:38 PM »

Not in an interesting introverted sense. More of an aggressive egotistical sense.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2008, 01:00:31 PM »

I like CAD.

~bs~
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »

I think AutoCAD is better.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2008, 01:55:13 PM »

I stopped reading CAD after he tried being all serious and shit. I have TV for soaps, webcomics are there for the funny and occasional philosophical brainfart.
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »

He is socially enept.

Being able to draw isn't much of a requirement for making really brilliant comics either. (Though it's possibly a little retarded to put whatever amount of work into it making it look mediocre.)

Not that I'm saying CAD is worth a damn or anything. I checked out a few of the latest strips. Apparently it's a Star Wars fanfic. Or something.
It is a chose your own adventure where people e-mail in different words in order to vote to what to do next.

Even if you don't like him at all, you have to give him the credit that makes the comic that he wants to make.  If you don't like it, don't read it.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »

He is socially enept.

It is a chose your own adventure where people e-mail in different words in order to vote to what to do next.

Even if you don't like him at all, you have to give him the credit that makes the comic that he wants to make.  If you don't like it, don't read it.
In the last one of those he did, everybody ever expected him to just change the story if somebody made a choice that would have Ethan die, and was shocked when the choice not only had him die, but then he showed he had an entire plan made out for where the story could go.  Gotta give him credit for planning skills.  I'm still kinda surprised that he followed through with the death.

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2008, 03:24:45 PM »

He is socially enept.

In the last one of those he did, everybody ever expected him to just change the story if somebody made a choice that would have Ethan die, and was shocked when the choice not only had him die, but then he showed he had an entire plan made out for where the story could go.  Gotta give him credit for planning skills.  I'm still kinda surprised that he followed through with the death.
HOLY SHIT GUYS ETHAN DIES  Cry
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2008, 03:32:13 PM »

HOLY SHIT GUYS ETHAN DIES  Cry
I'm not dead! At least I think I'm not. Huh?

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2008, 03:32:51 PM »

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20080421.jpg

He did kinda take it back though:

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20080423.jpg

The current chose your adventure is a continuation of it right from after he gets out of the clone pod.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:08:52 PM by laremere » Logged

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Gnarf
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »

The point of my post was that some of the stuff TeamQuiggan said had little to do with the quality of the comic. It seemed to be more about whether its creator was a cool dude or not. I know nearly nothing about CAD, but I do know that I'm not going to choose to read or not read it based on whether or not Tim Buckley like criticism. Or "the WoW guild Incident". I twice as know that I've no interest in knowing what incident that is.

And then, judging by the 3 pages of comics I looked on just before posting, it didn't seem like a particularly good comic, so I mentioned that in case someone wanted to misunderstand my post and read it as some defence of CAD. Left me wide open to another misunderstanding. Bad move :(

I think I'll give him no credit for making the comic he wants to make. He'll get two credits if the comic is any good and 4 credits if it is awesome. In addition, he'll get an extra life if the comic features any meerkats.

"If you don't like it, don't read it," goes without saying.
godsavant
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »

The first few pages of this thread were funny. I was happy. Now everyone is arguing about unrelated shit and it is scary and I am not happy anymore.

More TIG comics, plz. Policedanceclub, great job with this so far.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2008, 07:53:19 PM »

The first few pages of this thread were funny. I was happy. Now everyone is arguing about unrelated shit and it is scary and I am not happy anymore.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2008, 08:05:26 PM »

police to the rescue!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2008, 08:06:56 PM »

AHA shit this is awesome :D

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2008, 08:10:11 PM »

What will happen to poor john, lost without his monocle, in part 2?

I DONT FUCKING KNOW YET!!!!
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2008, 05:54:20 PM »

What will happen to poor john, lost without his monocle, in part 2?

I DONT FUCKING KNOW YET!!!!
NEITHER DO I!!!!!
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2008, 06:10:23 PM »

Hooray for PDC! Art conquers angry nerds!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic