Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 08:06:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Spelunker
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Spelunker  (Read 50392 times)
godsavant
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2009, 03:26:13 PM »

I stand corrected.
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2009, 07:13:05 PM »

I haven't read the whole thread but here is my suggestion for the rope. How about the rope shoots out and then he swings on it for a bit, hurting anyone he smashes into, and then jumps? kind of like this:

think pitfall

EDIT: I just realized this wouldn't be a very good recovery move if you're trying to get back onto the map from down low... Maybe if it worked kind of like Olimar's Pikmin chain when it attaches onto the ledge, and just pulls him straight up then?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:17:21 PM by Yigguth » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 08:50:39 PM »

EDIT: I just realized this wouldn't be a very good recovery move if you're trying to get back onto the map from down low... Maybe if it worked kind of like Olimar's Pikmin chain when it attaches onto the ledge, and just pulls him straight up then?
In other words, it would be identical with Liero and Trilby's recovery. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not really true to how the ropes work in Spelunky.

By the way, is the jetpack really that unpopular? I mean, it's the primary item I look for whenever I play. That makes it iconic in my book.

godsavant
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 09:17:02 PM »

In other words, it would be identical with Liero and Trilby's recovery. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not really true to how the ropes work in Spelunky.

By the way, is the jetpack really that unpopular? I mean, it's the primary item I look for whenever I play. That makes it iconic in my book.

It's just that the rope is used much more commonly, since you start the game with it, making it a part of his base moveset. However, I must agree that we are rather inundated with rope recoveries...could we find a way to make it unique?
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2009, 09:42:36 PM »

To me the jetpack isn't that iconic because I find it so hard to find. In my 1200+ plays I've had it only a rare few times (I've never bought one though), so personally I consider it a lot less memorable than the rope.

However, the only way I see to make it unique is to code ladders, but to be usable by every player, there would need to be an extra climbing animation for each character. I don't know if that's really worth the effort (allthough climbing animations aren't that hard to do (except maybe for characters without feet like Liero), but the more I think of it, the less I like the idea.

The jetpack would certainly be the most unproblematic to do..  Shrug

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2009, 10:12:28 PM »

I haven't played as Liero or Trilby that much. Is the swinging thing similar to anyone elses? I meant to make it work like the other grapples only when it hits a ledge, and when it hits a ceiling it can do the swinging thing.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2009, 11:54:52 PM »

How about what I said earlier:

This way,

1. The rope differentiates itself from the other grapple recoveries.
2. The rope stays hanging until it is used or the move is used again.
3. The rope always drops straight down like in Spelunky
4. The rope can be used tactically - make it hang off a platform over a hole - if you get knocked over the hole, instead of falling down you have a rope already waiting to rescue you.
5. No swinging, as that would be time consuming and difficult to implement.
5. No climbing, for above reasons.

Oh, and the rope could damage characters as it is thrown as well.

So? think it could work?

EDIT: Oh, also once the rope is latched on and hanging down, touching the rope -anywhere- on it will pull you up much like the other character's grapple moves, you don't have to press a button, or touch the end, or anything like that.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 01:14:05 AM by Radnom » Logged

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2009, 12:37:56 AM »

I think that sounds like the best option. It may be a little more complicated but the idea of being able to set up ropes in advance seems very true to Spelunky.

Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2009, 12:54:46 AM »

I think I like it better brighter, you can see the detail on the hat better. Nice work.

You may as well try it with a mouth now. That's all it's missing.
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2009, 03:23:39 AM »

I tried a color edit too, with using similar colors to this artwork:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:57:17 AM by Tazi » Logged

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2009, 04:03:51 AM »

I like it, Tazi! Hand Thumbs Up Right

godsavant
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2009, 08:25:04 AM »

His head seems a bit too far from his shoulders, like he's leaning forward.
Codestar
Level 1

One man, one game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »

honestly his body seems a little too fat to me...

Check out my current game project:
Mine to the sky
falsion
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2009, 07:01:50 PM »

It's just that the rope is used much more commonly, since you start the game with it, making it a part of his base moveset. However, I must agree that we are rather inundated with rope recoveries...could we find a way to make it unique?

The Spelunky rope is pretty unique in that it acts like a ladder, rather than the conventional approach most games use of making a rope act like a grappling hook. And it can impale anything that collides with it as it travels upwards, as I mentioned before, which is also awesome.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2009, 08:30:41 PM »

[Bunch of rope stuff]

Sounds good. Another cool use of this rope would be purposely using it on opponents to keep them away from items, or set them up for combos.
shig
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2009, 11:15:40 AM »

I kinda want to see sticky bombs and spiky shoes/stomping in this. Also throwing random stuff like rocks, pots, etc.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2009, 02:11:20 PM »

Spike Shoes are his vA move. Sticky bombs and thrown items would be better as items. Actually, that's a really good idea.

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2009, 08:09:57 PM »

Awesome, sounds like his moves list is pretty much perfect Smiley

I agree that the Rope is much more iconic than the Jetpack, but it would be a poor recovery move if made true to the game, and would probably end up being too tricky to use right if Done as Radnom suggested.

Jetpack would be great, but what about the Teleporter?
I love that item in game, it's so fun to use!
shig
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »

This would be pretty good, too:

^S sets up a rope. If you press ^S again while really close to a rope you'll automatically climb it and it'll vanish. ^s once, and pressing ^s again after a while would let you climb right after throwing a rope, but you'd have to fall in a vertical straight line a bit before climbing.

Max three/two ropes, I dunno. Make one more than the max number of ropes and the first one you set up catches on fire.

Would work just fine, IMO.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2009, 09:32:51 PM »

Having to press S^ twice in quick succession would probably be a real pain, especially for new players.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic