Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 08:28:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat would you do with Google Fiber?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What would you do with Google Fiber?  (Read 3726 times)
Neight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2011, 06:15:51 AM »

Google is coming to my town (Kansas City) and installing reasonably priced Gigabit internet (1000 Mbit up and down).  Since we're the only game company in the metro area, we have to represent. What game or service would you make if you had access to this kind of bandwidth?

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 07:06:54 AM »

Well, since you can't guarantee that the players will have good bandwidth the only way to make use of something that big is to support lots of players. Unless you have access to some big servers too that probably means some relatively simple gameplay so that the server can handle large numbers of players at once.

Neight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »

I'm really kind of interested in services like Playtomic. I'd like to see services like this expanded to other platforms and aspects of gaming.

So these speeds aren't unheard of. They exist. The two advantages this affords us are cost and physical access to our servers.  So maybe the trick is hooking up something other than rack servers to the internet.  I haven't figured it out yet. That's why I'm here.  Wink

For those who find this real world situation too restrictive, Google does plan on expanding the service to other cities.  And I think the hope is that other services will have to step up their bandwidth.  So I'll ask a more fantastic question: What would you do if Everyone had Google fiber?

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:44:14 PM »

What would you do if Everyone had Google fiber?

That would be great, because it would become practical to run multiplayer games on one client and stream the entire game state to all the other players continuously.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:03:58 AM »

Exactly what I'm doing now.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »

I would stop feeling guilty about sending XML over the wire.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »

Quote from: Google's project description of Google Fiber
1 gigabit per second
Wow! When this gets to Canada, I'll finally be able to fulfill my life's dream of paying $0.25 per second.

Seriously though, it's nice to see that Google is doing something with all that fiber they've gathered up. Hopefully it'll work well - more bandwidth would be a great boon to gaming (and other things too).

EDIT: Oops, that said gigabit.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:28:02 PM by TheLastBanana » Logged
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 06:34:15 PM »

1 gigabit per second
Wow! When this gets to Canada, I'll finally be able to fulfill my life's dream of paying $2 per second.
[/quote]

I hate UBB as much as the next guy but 1 Gigabit ≠ 1 Gigabyte

That said, fuck our telecom companies. Seriously.
Nix
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 06:35:31 PM »

1 gigabit per second
Wow! When this gets to Canada, I'll finally be able to fulfill my life's dream of paying $2 per second.

Seriously though, it's nice to see that Google is doing something with all that fiber they've gathered up. Hopefully it'll work well - more bandwidth would be a great boon to gaming (and other things too).

Like watching 1080p video stream real-time without having to wait for it to buffer.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 07:08:51 PM »

i can already do that on my cable connection -- youtube 1080p videos run fine for me, without buffering -- and i only get about 1.1 mb/sec

Nix
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »

i can already do that on my cable connection -- youtube 1080p videos run fine for me, without buffering -- and i only get about 1.1 mb/sec

Actually, so can I. Bad example.
andrewjb
Level 0

srsly u guise.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »

MMOG of some sort, even if it's MMO pong (been done, but a tech demo is a tech demo.)

If anything, you could just talk the technical capabilites, compare to previous tech, and the potential possibilities it could provide to gaming.
Neight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »

The video raises an interesting point though. We would be able to receive video streams from a high number of players at once. Everyone's avatars could have a live webcam feed for their faces. The Chat Roulette MMO! No No NO

It doesn't actually have to be webcam video. Maybe screen capture. Like the onlive arena, where you can watch any game being played on the service, and there's even a screen where they've composited a bunch of them. Again, not sure what I'd do with it, but we're getting somewhere.

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 08:33:32 PM »

A gigabyte and a gigabit are generally used interchangeably when it comes to bandwidth. Regardless, there's only 70MB difference between a gigabyte and a gigabit, so you'd still be paying roughly $2 per second.

EDIT: Note to self: do not misinterpret "bit" as "byte", then proceed to give an explanation of how they are one and the same.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:29:43 PM by TheLastBanana » Logged
tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 08:35:04 PM »

~Snip~
It doesn't actually have to be webcam video. Maybe screen capture. Like the onlive arena, where you can watch any game being played on the service, and there's even a screen where they've composited a bunch of them. Again, not sure what I'd do with it, but we're getting somewhere.

Well with the composite you could see which routes or moves where taken the most. Very easy to see how most players play.

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
Neight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »

A gigabyte and a gigabit are generally used interchangeably when it comes to bandwidth. Regardless, there's only 70MB difference between a gigabyte and a gigabit, so you'd still be paying roughly $2 per second.

You're talking about the difference between a Gigabyte and a Gibibyte. That's about 74MB. There are 8 bits in a byte, so a 1Gbps (Gigabytes per second) is 128MBps (MegaBytes per second).

/Nerdrant Waaagh!

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 09:20:46 PM »

Woop, misread that. Guess I'm going to have to relinquish my status as a nerd Embarrassed
Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 05:35:16 AM »

The difference is that with gigabit fiber we could actually do it in good quality!

Though really, even 100Mbps would be easily enough for that, provided that there's no clogs in the tube chain leading from the source to your computer.
Nix
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 07:58:58 AM »

I would run a ton of game servers and web servers from home.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 03:27:29 AM »

I'd setup a small rack of servers and rent out VPS's.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic