Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 08:05:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessUS government grants for games
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: US government grants for games  (Read 4870 times)
frabberjabber
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:43:36 AM »

I thought this:
http://www.nea.gov/grants/apply/AIM/index.html
might be of interest to some people here. It's a grant of $10,000 to $200,000 available to US citizens producing media projects - including games - that qualify as art. Applications are due by September 1.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 09:10:18 AM »

Art games, huh?
tergem
Level 1

It's a pony!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 02:20:55 PM »

Smiley Nice to see the government of the current superpower making a decision such as this. I take it as art games then.

Games made so far (completed):Spike teh dodge, Unnamed puzzle game, Galaga clone, Generic Top-Down Shooter, overly simplistic business simulator In dev: Platformer!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 04:07:22 PM »

I want to make a game about the life of obama ben laden and his struggles against the forces of oppressions, will that be accepted?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:17:27 PM »

I want to make a game about the life of obama ben laden and his struggles against the forces of oppressions, will that be accepted?

Facepalm

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
frabberjabber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »

Art games, huh?

You know, I was going to push back at this and cite a bunch of exciting, innovative, accessible works that have gotten NEA funding, but it turns out that most of the media art projects they directly fund are pretty ponderous. A lot of past grants, though, have gone to organizations that house and support artists while they work, which seems like a model that would work as well for games as for anything.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 10:11:48 AM »

"Art Games". And why not "Art Music" or "Art Movies"?

This is bullshit.

In this precise case, it's only a qualification to tell "it's allowed to be in our official cultural pool of media".

Do you think a game like MineCraft could get this "Art Game" flag? Even if it's a worldwide cultural phoenomenon?

Anyway, if you can manage to get the money, please make at least a good game first.

(we have the same kind of thing in France, but they don't allow any help for non-company game developers.. like indies. After all, they are no "real business".)

Zaphos
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »

This grant appears to be for non-profit orgs?  Or units of local government, or tribes?  Not individuals?  I don't know of any indies who have set themselves as nonprofits, units of local government, or tribes ...

Also, Klaim, this is a grant that has traditionally supported music and movies and is just now expanding to include games as well.  Looking at their previous winners it's a lot of documentaries, music programming, and NPR shows.  So, given the context I don't understand your "why not" question.
frabberjabber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 11:46:57 AM »

This grant appears to be for non-profit orgs?  Or units of local government, or tribes?  Not individuals?  I don't know of any indies who have set themselves as nonprofits, units of local government, or tribes ...

This is as good an excuse as any for nonprofit indie studios, no? It seems like a pretty logical direction for a community with high artistic standards and limited commercial ambition. Game jams are essentially just very short-term, low-budget artists' colonies, aren't they?

This is all said, of course, as someone with literally zero experience or interest in designing games, so its total, nonsensical wrongness is expected.
adam_smasher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 01:56:06 PM »

Art cinema is a thing. And so is "art music" - stuff like John Cage for instance. And people doing these sort of things are far more more likely to get government funding than, say, some indie garage band, which I suppose is the analog to yet another fucking pixelly platformer.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 11:32:43 PM »

Which games qualify as art?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 11:35:23 PM »

those exist too. art music and art film are both real things, and predate art games.

adam_smasher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 12:47:20 AM »

Which games qualify as art?

What movies qualify as "art"? It's hard to say or lay out guidelines that'll appease everyone,  but it's pretty clear that "Transformers 2" is doing something different from "The White Ribbon" which is doing something different from "

".

This may come as a surprise to some people, but there's no litmus test for "art", in any medium. But the lack of a clear-cut distinction doesn't necessarily entail the lack of a distinction whatsoever. Court cases have revolved around deciding whether some obscene novel or another is "art", and in that latter case I'm still not sure. That doesn't mean a taxonomy isn't, at least on some level, valuable or insightful or valid.

Generally speaking, being permissive about what constitutes art is probably a pretty good idea - especially if your reason for dismissing it is because it shocks or offends you. If someone says it's art, it probably is - unless the people saying it are simply nerds without any conception of the historical or cultural significance of the word trying to justify their recreational activities.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 01:52:37 AM »

those exist too. art music and art film are both real things, and predate art games.

Really?

Is there any definition of what it is?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 04:44:29 AM »

Dear god, not this again...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 05:12:37 AM »

Really?

Is there any definition of what it is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_film
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_music

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 06:14:58 AM »

I think getting into a whole "games as art?" discussion is missing the point really. This looks like an excellent opportunity for developers. If they think their project may be eligible it's well worth checking out what funding could be available to them, and how to apply. Thanks, Frabberjabber, for posting the link Smiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 06:55:53 AM »

what would really be useful is a list of games that have gotten this grant (if any) and words from the people who developed those games as to how to go about it -- simply posting a link isn't particularly helpful because we don't know what type of games (if any) they're willing to fund

i do believe that belgium gives grants for this sort of thing, tale of tales mentioned being funded partially by these types of grants

frabberjabber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 07:58:44 AM »

what would really be useful is a list of games that have gotten this grant (if any)

This is the first year the grant has been available for games. Until now, it's been for art in radio and television; now it's for art in media. I guess my hope in just posting the link was that someone would apply for and win a grant and then we could have a better idea what the judges are looking for. I'm really sincerely curious about what the NEA thinks about video games and what they can be convinced of.

And please, please forgive me for starting the art game fight again.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 08:49:42 AM »

I agree that the discussion is steril when talking about "art" of anything.

What I don't like is just to specify that some games or whatever have to be "art" to be worth being selected or something. I find it just strange.

Anyway, at least it's a good thing that the medium get official reconaissance.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic