Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411626 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 10:05:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPixel Warlords (Demo 02)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Warlords (Demo 02)  (Read 5017 times)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:19:52 PM »

The resolution is 80x60.

The target is deep inside the terrorist base.

Have you got the balls?

Download + more screens.
Poppenkast link.

Game is scaled. This is demo 02. Everything is explained ingame. Have fun!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 07:37:12 AM by jwaap » Logged

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 01:31:03 PM »

It plays nicely, although I'm not clear on what up+x is supposed to do. It seems to make a little cloud of dust?

My issue with it is that it isn't actually 80x60 res. The scrolling is per-pixel at about 800x600, and some of the 'pixels' are rotated to some arbitrary extent. I'd really like to be able to play the game in an actual 80x60 window so that people looking over my shoulder won't be able to tell that I'm not working Wink

Also it would be nice to get a bit more feedback when the bullets hit an enemy. As it is, not much happens.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:49:07 AM »

It plays nicely, although I'm not clear on what up+x is supposed to do. It seems to make a little cloud of dust?

My issue with it is that it isn't actually 80x60 res. The scrolling is per-pixel at about 800x600, and some of the 'pixels' are rotated to some arbitrary extent. I'd really like to be able to play the game in an actual 80x60 window so that people looking over my shoulder won't be able to tell that I'm not working Wink

Also it would be nice to get a bit more feedback when the bullets hit an enemy. As it is, not much happens.

Thanks. The up+x move is ment to be some kind of roundhouse slap/uppercut stealth kill move. It instantly kills the enemies.

About the resolution: Everything is sprited and coded in 80x60, but for now I've scaled it to 640x480 for testing purposes. The turrets get rotated weirdly then, so I'll have to find another method of doing this. There will be a 80x60 mode btw.

About the bullet stuff: The enemies flash red when you hit them, but I'll add a nice little 1 pixel blood effect if you want that.

-JW

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 12:54:45 AM »

Eye-strainingly fun! I'd like to see more missions and some awesome bosses, because you can be pretty creative with smaller pixels :D

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 07:37:28 AM »

New way better demo.

http://www.thepoppenkast.com/file.php?game=Pixel%20Warlords

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 06:15:56 PM »

Oh crap, my pride just died.

This game is tough!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 07:08:38 PM »

The flamethrower dude is totally unfair when you have little space to jump from it. Also, tone down the turning rate of those rockets. o.o Unless you're planning on putting him far ahead in the game.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 09:12:53 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 08:36:11 PM »

I found 'knifing' him to be very effective.
Knife, run, knife, run, etc.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 04:56:48 AM »

Is he really that hard? Just keep 1 or 2 nades for him... I'll add healthbar too, so you can see like "I almost beat him, let's try again."

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 05:37:27 AM »

Health bars are good.

Feedback to the player is usually a good thing. A small bar on top of his head when you hit him (and not all the time) could work.

I think you just have to tone down on the flamethrower damage.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 05:56:54 AM »

Alright here are a couple of comments...

First, please change teh level switiching button something else than space bar. I know it's a debug feature but don't assign it to a button that can be easily pressed by mistake. I suggest mapping it on the functions buttons (F1, f2 f3...)

Second, I think you should give a bit more control on the jump height and less on the jump lenght. Right now, the jumps are of a fixed height and the player can completly control the lenght. I believe I've posted something about that before. Anyway, her's an image that will help illustrate what I mean: 
A jump has a height and a lenght. A jump as a minimum and maximum height, influenced by the walking speed. The height is based on how long the player holds down the button. This means that, on a ButtownUp event or when the character reaches the max height, the falling routine should start. Tapping the button will result in a jump that will reach the minimum height (unaffected by speed)
A jump also has a lenght. This lenght is heavily linked to the walking speed. Once the player jumps, the lenght of the jump is fixed. Well almost. The player can affect it a bit by holding a direction. If the direction is the opposite of the jump direction, it will reduce the jumping lenght. If it's in the same direction, the jumping lenght will be slightly increased. If applied to this game, you wouldn't need to check for the height of the jumps affected by the speed since the character's speed is constant. Still, the height and lenght control could be enhanced

Speaking of controls, they felt a bit unresponsive. Specialy the jump button. Many times I have fell in a pool of "something" when the character didn't jump while walking. In an action game, the priority in terms of input managing should be the attack button first, then the jumping button and finaly the arrows. Why? Because it's better for the player to be able to attack before he get's attacked and it's better for the player to jump over pits instead of falling into them. Moving can dodge bullets, true, but most bullets travel on the x axis while the jump movement travels on the Y axis. 

On another topic, I would change the color of the health bar to another color than red since it's the color usualy associated with pain or bad stuff. Doesn't have to be green but I think that red is not the best fitting color choice in this context.

Can we switch weapons? I got this upgrade gun but I want to keep it for later. Is there a way to switch back to my old gun?

I'd personaly try to change the color of the exploding barrels so they don't look too much like they are part of the ground. Their color, some sort of grey-ish brown, feels very similar to the color scheme used for the ground (brown, green and light grey-ish brown). Perhaps they could be a shade of yellow or orange, which would fit with the general colors but help to make them standout a bit more...

And yes, the firethrower dude is unfair. A bit less health is a good start but I'd also lower his damage power so he doens't kill us almost instantly with his 3-missiles attack or only a couple or 2 or 3 firethrower attacks.. His fire attacks can also go through the ground so I'd remove that as well (I got killed by his fire attack when I was next to the health pack).

I really like the level where you have to raise the "something" level to continue. Really a nice touch.

Well, good job! Keep it up! Smiley

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 06:24:32 AM »

Health bars are good.

Feedback to the player is usually a good thing. A small bar on top of his head when you hit him (and not all the time) could work.

I think you just have to tone down on the flamethrower damage.

For now I've got his face art and a healthbar like the players at the bottom, but I kinda like your idea. I'll mess around with it later.

Flamer damage is now 70% of what it used to be.

Alright here are a couple of comments...

First, please change teh level switiching button something else than space bar. I know it's a debug feature but don't assign it to a button that can be easily pressed by mistake. I suggest mapping it on the functions buttons (F1, f2 f3...)

Second, I think you should give a bit more control on the jump height and less on the jump lenght. Right now, the jumps are of a fixed height and the player can completly control the lenght. I believe I've posted something about that before. Anyway, her's an image that will help illustrate what I mean: 
A jump has a height and a lenght. A jump as a minimum and maximum height, influenced by the walking speed. The height is based on how long the player holds down the button. This means that, on a ButtownUp event or when the character reaches the max height, the falling routine should start. Tapping the button will result in a jump that will reach the minimum height (unaffected by speed)
A jump also has a lenght. This lenght is heavily linked to the walking speed. Once the player jumps, the lenght of the jump is fixed. Well almost. The player can affect it a bit by holding a direction. If the direction is the opposite of the jump direction, it will reduce the jumping lenght. If it's in the same direction, the jumping lenght will be slightly increased. If applied to this game, you wouldn't need to check for the height of the jumps affected by the speed since the character's speed is constant. Still, the height and lenght control could be enhanced

Speaking of controls, they felt a bit unresponsive. Specialy the jump button. Many times I have fell in a pool of "something" when the character didn't jump while walking. In an action game, the priority in terms of input managing should be the attack button first, then the jumping button and finaly the arrows. Why? Because it's better for the player to be able to attack before he get's attacked and it's better for the player to jump over pits instead of falling into them. Moving can dodge bullets, true, but most bullets travel on the x axis while the jump movement travels on the Y axis. 

On another topic, I would change the color of the health bar to another color than red since it's the color usualy associated with pain or bad stuff. Doesn't have to be green but I think that red is not the best fitting color choice in this context.

Can we switch weapons? I got this upgrade gun but I want to keep it for later. Is there a way to switch back to my old gun?

I'd personaly try to change the color of the exploding barrels so they don't look too much like they are part of the ground. Their color, some sort of grey-ish brown, feels very similar to the color scheme used for the ground (brown, green and light grey-ish brown). Perhaps they could be a shade of yellow or orange, which would fit with the general colors but help to make them standout a bit more...

And yes, the firethrower dude is unfair. A bit less health is a good start but I'd also lower his damage power so he doens't kill us almost instantly with his 3-missiles attack or only a couple or 2 or 3 firethrower attacks.. His fire attacks can also go through the ground so I'd remove that as well (I got killed by his fire attack when I was next to the health pack).

I really like the level where you have to raise the "something" level to continue. Really a nice touch.

Well, good job! Keep it up! Smiley

Space bar fixed.
Already added variable jumping. Not sure if I'll keep it though...
Walking speed won't change jumping height, since it doesn't use friction and it's no platformer. You want absolute control.
About the unresponsive controls: That's probably because it runs at 30fps and has such a small resolution. The player moves 1 pixel per frame, so it's easy to miss. You gamers are just spoiled with the 60+ fps nowadays.
I like the healthbar the way it is.
No weapon switching, I want to keep it simple and limited. You can still use the melee attack though if you want to save ammo.
Not sure about barrels yet.
Flamer damage reduced, and it will stay able to go trough walls, sorry.

Thanks for the guertsy critisism! Very useful.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 07:03:18 AM »

i like this.

am I imagining things or are you cheating with those guys who rotate their guns to fire at you?  If you start walking down the slippery slope of rotating blown up pixel art, who knows where you'll land.......

@doomlaser, mark johns
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 07:23:59 AM »

That's only for the time being. I don't know any proper scaling methods yet.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic