Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 03:07:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingElection Quest 2007
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Election Quest 2007  (Read 2567 times)
Movius
« on: November 22, 2007, 07:01:43 AM »

I recently had the great idea to make a game based on the upcoming Australian Federal Election (on Saturday) based on a series of stick-figure comics I did when I was younger. Sadly it soon turned into a battle with the vagueries of AGS (it was probably something best left for a flash animation or similar anyway).

I eventually finished it far later than planned thanks to a combination of apathy, frustration and hilariously timed software crashes while saving my work. Of course by 'finished' I mean I removed large chunks of the game that weren't working properly.

Anyway... "Hidden Tax Creature's Election Quest 2007" is an educational title, designed to teach you how to vote.

Because it is a serious game there is very little compelling gameplay or user interaction, in fact the whole game pretty much comes down to one yes/no question.

Warnings and Other Disclaimers
Unless you're Australian you probably won't get 90% of the jokes and unless you've read the comics in question you probably won't get the other 10%.

Also, if you are offended by phrases like 'Cunt', 'Faggot Arse Wank' or 'Shitting Ballistic Sex Fluid Jizzrag Mcgee' or if you have no sense of irony, then you probably shouldn't play the game.

You can get it here

It should run on any Windows machine.

Some token screenshots:

ps. At least it's still a better tutorial than the AEC's practice voting thing
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:06:50 AM by Movius » Logged
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 06:32:25 AM »

Well, yes, it's really a voting tutorial but man, is it complicated to vote over at your place! Wink

The art is... well... Crude... Wink In fact just bit too crude, sometimes it's hard to read certain words that were drawn rathey than typed.

I don't have much to say because you pretty covered everything in your game description. It's a tutorial, it's not serious, it got stick figures, you answer only a couple of yes/no questions... That's pretty much it.

At first I thought you were gonna do something a bit more politicaly engaged or shocking, like denunciating some crooked voting scheme or evil political party schemes...   Oh well, next time perhaps.

Later!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 10:28:06 AM by Guert » Logged

Movius
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 10:03:00 AM »

Thanks for the comment.

I generally found that most people from Australia found the game fairly amusing but those outside Australia didn't. For the most part the game is one enormous Australian centric in-joke, (eg. the 'Hidden Tax Creature' was originally inspired by Australian political issues of 1999/2000,) and the original comics were basically just seen by a small group of friends (This is where the horrid presentation style comes from) . So it was asking a lot to expect it to be a smash hit outside of that audience.

I wasn't going to post it here originally, but I figured there might be some Aussies here that would get it or that it may offer some entertainment, (at least on the level of being an absolute farce,) to those not from Australia, but I kind of ruined that hope by leaving it mostly unfinished.

Most of the humour was meant to be in the party descriptions at the end in which I basically label every party either communists or fascists as well as the standard "the Senate ballot paper is hueg liek xbox" and "Senate = unrepresentative swill" jokes. But I spent too much creative energy writing these and couldn't really be bothered finishing the game off properly after that, so in the end it probably would have been better to have presented it in a flash animation or youtube video instead of a game.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »

If Jeff Minter had made this, he'd be very upset about its XBLA sales.  Tongue

Tr00jg
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:56:22 PM »

If Jeff Minter had made this, he'd be very upset about its XBLA sales.  Tongue

Ahaha, nice!
Movius
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 07:41:11 PM »

I'm far ahead of Jeff Minter in terms of games not sold. XBLA or otherwise