Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411552 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: spitcards

May 03, 2024, 08:40:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 515926 times)
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: November 21, 2012, 05:57:17 AM »

I'm not even a huge Eva fan, but I think you're going a bit over-the-top.
If anything, I think Shinji's reaction to being told 'hey, go save the world' is pretty realistic. If having teenage protagonists in your anime is a problem, maybe anime is not for you...
I was rather pointing at Misatos and her co-workers reaction. Having teenage protagonists is a really tedious cliche; at least when they're portrayed as young adults. I don't really see any point there. Or let's say, I get the point but I just don't like it.

Well, after reading through a few EVA related discussions, I figured I might just have had too high expectations. I mean, it's not like it wasn't enjoyable - I have watched worse shows and found them highly enjoyable nonetheless. But I guess it might just not be the masterpiece I initially expected it to be. But I'll see if it takes up pace towards the later episodes.

Btw. I have actually watched about 2-3 hours of that Yuki video after finishing Mirai Nikki (which is by the way a perfect example for not too well written anime who still are really fun to watch imo)
ink.inc
« Reply #1921 on: November 21, 2012, 12:11:27 PM »

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1922 on: November 21, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »

Now those controls make sense, because usually in the original series you would see them just pulling back and for those gas station pump handle things.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: November 21, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »

I'm not sure the pad make sense here, BTW in the original series they are link by neural activities through the A10 neuron (the little clips in their head) through the LCL liquid, who need buttons when you have brain synchro? Plus each eva is supposed to held the spirit of their deceased mother ... who understand you better than your mom (at least in the ideal of fictional world)?

Eva is creepy, the writing is not in the cliche or the setting, but how they had mesh symbolism of the various tropes together, it's so meta, brrrrr ......

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1924 on: November 21, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »

The sync rate had to do more with the Eva willing to cooperate with the pilot more than the other thing. And the characters are often seen pulling back and forth those handle things, and pulling the trigger often.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: November 21, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »

It's the supercopter effect, do everything with a single button, context sensivity and all that shit work great with brain interface  Ninja

ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: November 21, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »

Try watching the beginning of ep 13. Rei get instructed to imagine moving her hand. She does use the hand grip before the Eva's hand moves, but those physical controls may be more like a safety lock. The Eva has a lot of mechanical parts attached to it that supply power, restrain it, hold weapons, etc.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: November 21, 2012, 03:46:16 PM »

not to mention how when they're more in synch, they get hurt when the evas get hurt (eg asuka getting her arm sliced in half)

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1928 on: November 21, 2012, 04:02:30 PM »

Makes sense, specially during EoE where Asuka rises her are and Eva02 does it too.

Then again, there is this:

Notice shinji pulling the trigger to shoot. Also, when the dummy plug system takes control, shinji keeep moving those handles back and forth. Makes me wonder if there is an official explanation for how do those controls work, or if its just rule of cool.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: November 21, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »

Maybe it's a psychological (dummy) interface because people need to feel that have control when they are not? they gives them something to grasp, especially when everythings shakes. Plus eva as a mind of their own too, it's more likely that the pilot is the real interface to their souls rather the buttons.

But explanation differs from various media, in the anime, it is implied that the maternal instinct of the eva creates the fury, in the (much less subtle) manga it is shinji that go berseck ...

Conker534
« Reply #1930 on: November 21, 2012, 08:00:47 PM »

forwardresent
« Reply #1931 on: November 22, 2012, 10:38:06 PM »

Finished Code Geass, it was pretty awesome/depressing. Now watching Monster, so far it's pretty good.
ink.inc
« Reply #1932 on: November 23, 2012, 08:10:42 AM »

Hand Fork Left

Disturbing as hell.
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1933 on: November 23, 2012, 08:33:12 AM »

Episode 8 of Chuunibyou has a nice ending, knowing the motivations behind their 8th grader syndrome is rather interesting.
Also Railgun is going rather well, the first few episodes almost put me off but episode 4 solved that by having a cool battle between Misaka and Touma.

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: November 24, 2012, 11:58:26 PM »

so i try to make this about robots and  you start talking about fucking evangelion

yeah i guess you guys plain fucking hate me : (
Ashkin
« Reply #1935 on: November 25, 2012, 12:22:06 AM »

TMK, Ghost in the Shell has robots and I'm going to watch that soon does that count?

Right now though I'm watching 'A Certain Magical Index'. It feels like it's been a while since I watched an anime that feels 'normal' instead of being some psychological thriller.
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1936 on: November 25, 2012, 01:27:47 AM »

Right now though I'm watching 'A Certain Magical Index'. It feels like it's been a while since I watched an anime that feels 'normal' instead of being some psychological thriller.

Haha that's probably why I'm enjoying it so much, I think I also got a bit bogged down in the serious stuff.

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: November 25, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »

I have to retreat my previous rant about how awful NGEs narrative and dialoge scripts were. I made a huge mistake and watched the German Dub because I thought, based on its success, that EVA might as well have a good dubbing. But I was wrong. It really is horrible, I'm usually not an enemy of translated versions and dubbings, but this one is plain horrible. I'm watching with English Subs right now and it's a hell of a lot better; to an extent where the dialogues are actually enjoyable. I wonder how one could fuck up pronounciation so badly.
namragog
« Reply #1938 on: November 25, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »

Well it is pretty old, considering the speed of which anime pops out of Japan these days. You have to realize that Eva created many of the current staples of anime in addition to being something the likes of which have not really been surpassed in a while. Who cares if the dub quality is horrible? The reactions and motives of every single character match up perfectly to what they would have if they existed in a scenario like the angel attacks in real life.

Misato is a little out of it because she doesn't know where she should stand or what side she is even really on. Even though she is against the angels, she is confused because the angels killed her father, who she hated, but he saved her in his last moments of life, causing her to doubt that he was a bad person at all. Throughout the series, her relationship with Shinji basically enforces the fact that she is against the angels, and she acts way over the top to compensate for her feelings.

You basically need to see each character from their own point of view. People usually don't like Eva because the characters are weird, but that's the whole point of the anime.
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: November 25, 2012, 09:57:18 AM »

Actually, right after I finished evangelion, I was absolutely livid. I thought watching it was a waste of my time and thought that gainax went way too far over the deep end with the whole "let the viewer fill in the blank" stuff. Tbh I still feel that way about the latter.

I brought this up in an irc channel and someone dug up a short essay someone wrote on /a/ earlier this year on why eva is the way it is, you guys might find it interesting: http://i.imgur.com/mGMVP.jpg
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic