Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 04:07:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsY2K - 3D RPG inspired by N64/Mother/Murakami for Next Gen Consoles!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Y2K - 3D RPG inspired by N64/Mother/Murakami for Next Gen Consoles!  (Read 9447 times)
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 04:53:51 AM »

DEVLOG WEEK 6-BRIAN
Today I am taking a break from battle programming to update Vella’s character model (no drastic changes, just some cleanup/small changes really).

While I was doing this, the topic for today’s post came to me:

Yes! Eyes!
Eyes can be done in many different ways in a 3D game.
In the old days they were usually textured on to the face (in many mobile games they still are), but eyes that are modeled onto the character are more common lately.
Whichever way an artist chooses she/he will have to ask themselves a question:
“How do I make the eyes look good from the side?”
The problem with eyes is that they are not flat, nor are they simply spheres:
They are “see-through-almost-spheres”.

image taken from www.nei.nih.gov)

See the pupil? See how deep inside the eye it is? to actually do that in 3D software a shader with refraction/reflection would be required. The problem is, that kind of shader is not really possible in games (although approximations can be made, it is costly in performance).
I have one big rule when working in 3D: If you can, cheat.
Although in Y2K I modeled the eyes, I want to show off the old Ps1 era textured face approach:
(*Note that Y2K does not use this technique).

(Face texture added to cube geometry, with slight modifications )

When working on a low poly model, it is helpful to “curve” the face of a head, by pulling the front edges of the face back a bit. Failure to do this will result in a flat face and invisible eyes when viewed from the side:

(Top block has been modified to show profile. Middle cube is a simple cube. Bottom cube has a slight bend at the center).

If you curve the planes of the face where the eye texture sits, the eyes can be seen from the side.

(Top eyes can still be seen, while middle eyes completely disappeared.)

Using bent geometry with simple textured-on eyes is the simplest approach to the problem, but it isn’t entirely realistic.

(Example Geometry)

This is fine, but for Y2K I wanted more volume in my eyes.

Simply modeling bulges for the eyes won’t work because the pupil would sit on top.

I wanted my pupils to sit inside the eye, and I wanted the Iris inside the lense.

The trick I used is completely-no- literally backwards:

Flipped Normals.

Quick rundown in case you didn’t know about normals:

Polygons are one sided.
the direction of a polygon is determined by the “normal vector”.
if you turn a polygon around it disappears. (If it doesn’t disappear, turn backface culling on and never turn it off again!)

Imagine this: You are holding a golf ball in your hand.
Unlike most golf balls in the real world, this one is made out of polygons.
You can see the golf ball because all of its normals are pointed outward from the center of the ball.
As you hold the ball someone comes along and flips the golf ball’s “normals” on you.
You are amazed because, while you can still see the golf ball, the side of the ball you are looking at is not the one closest to you, but on the other side of the ball!
The side closest to you doesn’t seem to exist.
You turn the ball around and you see the other side exists, but you no longer see the previous side. you are looking through the golf ball.

From left to right: Sphere, Sphere with flipped normals, Sphere with flipped normals-but with another sphere embedded inside. Notice that the shading looks reversed.

The eyes on the characters in Y2K behave the same way:

(Flipped normals allow the iris to sit inside the lens of the eye)

Due to the cartoony shape of the eye I opted not to use a sphere.

Instead I have a deep cavity in the eye socket where I place the iris.

Then lens geometry is placed over the eye socket. The normals on the lenses are flipped allowing them to only be seen from the side. the white material inside of the eye socket is what you see when viewing the characters from the front.

The lense geometry in flipped, while the highlight shape [orange] floats in front of the iris. both shapes rest inside the eye socket.

(Notice when I take the lense off of the eyes, how odd it looks.)

Wee see right through to the back of the lens, but because the material is flat, we cannot tell that it is reversed.

With the old textured approach, if I wanted the eyes to blink, or look around, I would need to load a different texture, or manipulate uv space. But using this approach I only need to animate the parts that make up the eye.

During gameplay a script is used to move the eye to look in the desired direction. the eyes can also change shape and size as needed

Thanks for reading,

-Brian

Check out Two Brothers on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AckkStudios
And check out the DevLog here.
ink.inc
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 04:59:36 AM »

great stuff, but i like the lineless 3d art a lot more than the 2d~! maybe find a way to make both cutscene and game art blend better?
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 05:31:41 AM »

Thanks john! We agree. We have made some changes that fix it up considerably. I'll post them soon!!

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 05:26:54 AM »

Here are some images from the first dungeon in the game:

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 06:27:41 AM »

I like the art style for the environments, with simple color textures and lot of gradients, reminds me a bit of Shin Megami Tensei 3 on PS2, which was an awesome game!

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 04:55:51 PM »

So you just killed a group of slimes and got enough EXP to level up your party.

Ever wonder what goes into the crazy calculations needed to go from level 1 to level 99+ in an RPG?

Most JRPGs have some sort of logic behind the seemingly random stat increases, but they don’t often make it easy to figure out.

I have been researching this ever since the first Y2K demo (which had leveling up enabled at first, but was disabled due to a bug I found last minute). It turns out that some gamers have resorted to hacking to figure out what goes on behind the scenes.

This was very exciting for me, as I could see what was going on behind the scenes in in the likes of dragon quest and final fantasy. I won’t get into those games much, but I will say that the information is out there.

An uphill battle…

there are many calculations to focus on. The easiest calculation for me to research was the experience curve. this formula dictates how easy/hard it is to gain levels as the game progresses.Every game does it a bit different, but balance is always the goal.

If it is too easy in the beginning then too hard at the end to gain levels, the player will need to spend more and more time fighting enemies.

Progression cannot be too linear either, or the game may become boring and predictable.

Players also shouldn’t be able to become too powerful too early unless they work hard at it.

It often isn’t enough to simply make weak monsters give less experience: it is important that each time the player levels up, it becomes slightly harder to do it the next time.

Experience given at the end of the battle in many rpgs is often calculated based on your level with some math gymnastics to try and hide the logic. Some games take the easy way out and have a pre-defined list that can be carefully hand tuned for each level. I could see wanting this for extra control, but I don’t think it is necessary.

This is a deep topic, but you want the points required till the next level to steadily rise, but not predictably. For example adding +100 each time you level up would be terribly repetitive, and increasingly easy to fulfill.

What I’m doing for now.

Sorry about the censorship above, but I don’t want to show off the calculation until it’s final (if at all) I will say that they are fairly low numbers. On the plus side, it turns out that this is the most boring of all the calculations.

Attack!

Some games will give a random stat increase when you level up, but this can lead to unfair stats on a character if you get a couple of bad randomly generated numbers in a row (*cough* Fire Emblem *cough*).

Final Fantasy IX had a nice system that was largely invisible to the player, but seems to calculate your strength based on base stats, level, and current equipment in hand when a level up occurs.

The Strength attribute in Y2K is similarly calculated depending on the characters level, base strength, and Strength Bonus. Strength Bonus can be modified in a few ways, but generally it changes in value based on which attacks you like to use, which items you have equipped, and choices made in conversation.

I’m thinking about being transparent about this stat in the game and allowing players to play in a way that they can balance the Bonuses the way that they would like.

Calculating current strength per level:

Character.stats.strength = (((lvl * 3) / 10)+baseStats.strength) + ((StrBonus/ 32));

(//ignore the use of magic numbers please)

The base stats for each character are different, so the stats will be different as they level up.

the base stats are fixed values and all strength calculations are based off of them.

The non fixed values are the characters lvl, and the StrBonus. These the player can influence in various ways to make the character grow as they see fit.

Other attributes have similar calculations such as luck:

Character.stats.luck= (((lvl * 3) / 20)+baseStats.luck) + ((LckBonus+luckyCharm)/ 32));

Again, here the base stats are static values but the lvl and LckBonus+luckyCharm can alter the value greatly. The fixed numbers (3,20, and 32) keep it within a range I like as the character progresses.

A closer look at the results….

I added a function to print out the character stats from level 0-100 (with no stat enhancing modifiers) Here is an example of some of the output:

Character lvl: 51 hp: 3435/3435 pp: 221/221 str: 40 def: 38 spd: 28 luk: 23 spr: 30

Character lvl: 52 hp: 3453/3453 pp: 222/222 str: 40 def: 38 spd: 28 luk: 23 spr: 30

Character lvl: 53 hp: 3467/3467 pp: 223/223 str: 40 def: 38 spd: 28 luk: 23 spr: 30

Character lvl: 54 hp: 3648/3648 pp: 229/229 str: 42 def: 39 spd: 28 luk: 24 spr: 31

As you can see, HP increases faster than PP.

Taking inspiration from other RPGs, I calculated current HP/PP using the base HP/PP values against a table of predefined values-per-level. Perhaps I’ll go into that calculation another time.

Happy Leveling!

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 06:21:54 AM »

Here is a gif of a puzzle I'm working on now!! I'll write up some more in depth about it later on.  Evil

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 06:26:29 AM »

It's really nice!

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 04:54:44 AM »

Y2K Cast From left to right.

Rory Mancer, voiced by Andrew Fayette (AKA Yuri of Wind https://www.youtube.com/user/Yuriofwind)

Class: Conscientious Objector/Healer

Rory is a loner from the internet, who is determined to find his missing thirteen year old sister. She vanished two weeks before Rory reaches out to Alex via ONISM1999(A conspiracy theory message board.)

Chondra Unkrich, voice by Michael Laws (http://about.me/michaela.a.laws)

Class: Hula Hooper

Chondra is an out going, and extremely intelligent woman who is pursuing her masters in Psychology. When she isn’t hitting the books she is an avid fan of dance music and hula hooper.

Vella Wilde, voiced by Melanie Ehrlich (http://www.listentomelanie.com/)

Class: Musical Prodigy

Vella is a master keytar player, whose knowledge of music and  aural combat arts boarders on meta physical.

Alex Eggleston, voiced by Chris Niosi (AKA Kibropher15 http://chrisniosi.com/)

Class: Hipster

Alex is a recent college graduate who has returned him to discover adult life is not what he expected, or desired. When a young woman vanishes from an elevator, he becomes obsessed with finding out the truth behind her disappearance.

Sammy Pak, voiced by Brittany Lauda (http://www.brittanylauda.com/)

Class: Cat Person

Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?

Michael K., voiced by Clifford Chapin (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=122114%2F)

Class: Photographer

Michael is the youngest party member, and a recent highschool graduate. He is an obsessive conspiracy theorist, and the co-creator of ONISM1999.

Claudio Unkrich, voiced by Anthony Sardinha (http://antfishvo.com/)

Class: Hacky Sack Master

Claudio is the owner of a record store, and a master Hacky Sackist. In addition to his love of music, he is also the an die hard otaku. He has interests in starting his own fashion line, with the “Urban Prep” look at it’s forefront. Urban Prep is a combination of the tied-cardigan-around-the-neck-look, with an urban style hoodie pulled up.

Casting and voice acting direction by amazingly precise Brittany Lauda! 

ink.inc
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 09:01:04 PM »

god bless leon the professional
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 05:36:01 PM »

I had to look that one up lol
I think she looks most like the character in that image...
here are some others:

^This image is a bit old. I've since hid the ears and made the bangs more... good.

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2014, 05:06:26 PM »

Been working on this robot boss!
New idea why the images keep double sizing themselves...

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »

I’m back!

I’ve been busy getting the game to a playable state for the Playstation Experience.

[Which went well by the way, but I’ll let andrew tell you all about that.]

As far as I can tell, this is week #18 of working on the game.

Time has been flying by crazy fast. We’ve gotten very much accomplished in a very short amount of time, but we still have much to do.

Next week I’ll be starting work on the inventory system, but first I have some assets to complete for the town this week…

I’ve been making shops and various props for the Town of Frankton since the day before yesterday.

I started with a pizza place I called “Pizza - Pasta.”

Window of burger Joint
I would like to draw your attention to the windows.

I’ve been filling the interior of the buildings with low poly props colored with different shades sepia/brown.

The effect I’m going for is that it looks like a darker glass in the window.

Of course when the player enters the building, a more detailed scene is loaded, but this exterior detailing (i hope) gives the impression that each building is more than an empty shell on the outside.

I’ve seen games use a range of techniques for exterior windows, from fake reflection, to interiors textured onto the windows as posters.

I’m even doing this for the apartment buildings that the player cannot access in order to bring life to the scene. It looks great as the camera scrolls past!

(Behind the scenes…)
 if you look closely there isn’t much to the people, but the overall impression is of a building filled with people doing stuff.

I may even animate these interiors with simple little actions

jiitype
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »

Really cool what you're doing to the windows. More charming than crappy jpegs.
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2014, 02:50:58 PM »

Here is a gif of a puzzle I'm working on now!! I'll write up some more in depth about it later on.  Evil

This reminds of PS1 era RPGs in the best way possible. Minus the falling to her death part of course, but I like that even more.

One point though, is Vella's skirt intentionally skin colour? It just seems to blend in with her legs so much that it seems like it has holes in the skirt, or it's transparent.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Keep it up guys!

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2014, 08:53:28 AM »

@blekdar going to address Vella's skirt issue! I didn't even notice.   Yawn
---

The world in YIIK changes with the seasons.

During the in-game winter season, the buildings and trees are often covered in snow.

Each outdoor area is being designed with the different seasons in mind.

How do we make snow you ask? (pretend you just did…)

Simple!

The basic idea is to add an off-white slightly lumpy cube to the top of every flat surface that snow would fall upon.

As you see, the snow is a separate part that the seasons manager turns on and off depending on the seasonal requirements.

The color of the lighting, and the texture palettes change depending on the season as well.

Need more info?

Just follow these simple rules to transform that hot summer city of yours into the snow paradise of your dreams:

Snow is added to every flat surface.

have Icicles hang off the edges (the longer the better).

anything that is sheltered is safe from snow.

(except the newspaper boxes, but that’s because they just look cool covered in snow…)

The shapes don’t even need to be that complex:

The camera shop with added snow.^

It may look simple, but it really goes a long way towards selling the winter scene. icicles also help!

Modeling snow can be fun, but it makes me a bit cold…

Game will start in March of 99 go through spring, summer, autumn, and winter… so you won’t see these cold scenes till the ending stretch of the game.

Here are some images of the town in spring time:

Merry Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2015, 11:57:30 AM »

Wanted to share some WIP images of Alex's house.

Can you find the 90's influence Wink

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic