Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411536 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58438 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 12:59:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 534495 times)
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5400 on: June 15, 2015, 01:57:26 PM »

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoEU/status/610507068676665344 bbbut this says hes directing it Toast Left Well, hello there!

also
http://imgur.com/a/7Pxoa

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: June 15, 2015, 02:43:41 PM »

ok nvm i said anything then
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5402 on: June 15, 2015, 10:19:54 PM »

dang fume knight is friggin hard

great fight but he's definitely of those bosses where one move consistently wrecks you (that slow flame sword swing oh my god)

edit: also what the fuck is up with the iron king DLC, so many parts of it feel like a troll. what is anybody supposed to do about that gangbang of prowler phantoms other than great club their asses
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: June 16, 2015, 05:41:41 AM »

btw honestly im happy that there arent going to be any more dark souls games. best to quit while ur ahead rather than churning out endless sequels and jumping the shark. particularly the way souls lore works makes lots of sequels problematic in that respect.

i mean the core GAMEPLAY of souls probably won't die either way. we'll probably see more bloodborne and maybe other souls esque games from From.
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: June 16, 2015, 06:40:05 AM »

The lore is indeed a huge problem when you think of sequels. I'm really curious to see how Miyazaki will handle Dark Souls 2 canon.

Perhaps we're going to have some MGS4 moments goig back to Anor londo and drangleic? That would be cool
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5405 on: June 16, 2015, 07:21:54 AM »

ahvent really progressed at all on any ds games, but man, i believed that each souls game was narratively stand alone, ala final fantasy

SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: June 16, 2015, 07:40:56 AM »

That's mostly true, but dark souls 1, 2 and now 3, are in the same world and have some recurring elements. Dark souls 2 is thousands of years after the first and 3 will probably keep the trend.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5407 on: June 16, 2015, 09:49:06 AM »

I agree about quitting while you're ahead with the Dark Souls IP.

Miyazaki is already going to have to do backflips to make the world interesting again after 2. I kinda feel like there may be a good amount of fanservice (solaire references/appearances?) because what else would be the point of returning to the Dark Souls name.
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5408 on: June 16, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »

Its pretty weird how much people reacted to Dark Souls 2's callbacks and references to the first game. I guess it was just part of the whole "it was made by the awful B-Team" narrative, and so people decided these callbacks were more like fanfiction, even though they really didn't feel that out-of-place at all, being a gaddam sequel with a 2 in the title.

About it being the last game in the series, that can only be a good thing really. If it means they change things around more like they did with Bloodborne, there are great games coming up. And if they start to feel like theyre hurtin' for money, they can always change their mind and make a new one, or a remake of the first in a couple years.

What if they returned to their first person dungeon crawling roots for just one game? Yknow, like a side project. That genre was like 60% of their releases before Demon's Souls! Can y'all imagine what they could do in that genre now? They could single-handedly revive it for real!

Imagine it, a game like king's field or shadow tower, but with better interfaces and polish, more intuitive design... it could be amazing! There's no stopping em now....

Also, what if they did a complete change of theme, imagine a dark souls-ish game in a sci fi setting? I guess Bloodborne was halfway there in a way. They did do some sci fi stuff with armored core, although I dont like that particular setting itself, it always felt a bit boring.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: June 16, 2015, 12:25:43 PM »

Its pretty weird how much people reacted to Dark Souls 2's callbacks and references to the first game. I guess it was just part of the whole "it was made by the awful B-Team" narrative, and so people decided these callbacks were more like fanfiction, even though they really didn't feel that out-of-place at all, being a gaddam sequel with a 2 in the title.

plus, dks1 had as many callbacks to demons as dks2 had to 1
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #5410 on: June 16, 2015, 12:38:14 PM »

I liked the callbacks. My problem with dsk2 was the new lore they came up with. It just didn't feel quite as epic and charming as dsk1 did.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: June 16, 2015, 12:52:16 PM »

the lore isnt quite as good yes, but there are still some decent parts (old iron king, dragons, giants)
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: June 16, 2015, 03:25:09 PM »

A callback is one thing, adding a boss from the previous game for pure fanservice is another. Dks1 had bosses from demons, but the worlds were different and you would consider that references that didnt sacrificed the internal coherence of the world. Ornstein in Dks2 was just too articial to be taken seriously, in my opinion.

And I actually like Dks2 most than a lot of people (at least internet "b team lol" people). I think that some moments were really amazing, like seeing Vendrick for the first time and the shrine of amana. I really like the game, but I think it would've been better without most of the callbacks.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: June 16, 2015, 03:30:15 PM »

A callback is one thing, adding a boss from the previous game for pure fanservice is another. Dks1 had bosses from demons, but the worlds were different and you would consider that references that didnt sacrificed the internal coherence of the world. Ornstein in Dks2 was just too articial to be taken seriously, in my opinion.

but a sequel in the same setting without any stuff from the predecessor would be pretty weird too. i mean honestly its kind of annoying how they refuse to call anything by name. they probably thought it was going to add to the "mystery" or sth.

the only thing i would say is kinda fanservicey is the sunbro shield

really dks2's biggest problem is that it has too much content

----------------------------------------------------------------

anyway i still can't bring myself to play scholar of the first sin for more than 30 minutes. i guess the level design IS a bit better but in the end im just not looking forward to playing through these levels again even if they have new stuff. i felt the same way about the dlc btw. i still havent finished old iron king and ivory king dlc and idk if i ever will. ive never had this with any other souls game. even the chalice dungeons in bloodborne are something im looking forward to eventually finishing.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:38:23 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: June 16, 2015, 03:53:34 PM »

the only thing i would say is kinda fanservicey is the sunbro shield

Cmoooon, dude. Ornstein isnt fanservice? Wasnt he dead? Why he has the leo ring? He is just hanging around in that church for what reason? cmooon
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5415 on: June 16, 2015, 05:39:59 PM »

I bought Dark Souls on steam for like 8 bucks and it can't run very well on my computer. What kind of specs would you recommend to run games of the series? I'm thinking of upgrading to a better computer in September.

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: June 16, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »

I bought Dark Souls on steam for like 8 bucks and it can't run very well on my computer. What kind of specs would you recommend to run games of the series? I'm thinking of upgrading to a better computer in September.
Did you try DSFix? DSFix helped me a lot when I bought the game. The in game options are horrible :p

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: June 16, 2015, 11:35:04 PM »

The lore in DS2 doesn't retain the kind of wonder that DS1 did for me. DS1 lore reminds me of Tolkien, simple stories with grand scale.

I also feel like DS2's design is less interesting, it seems to take more inspiration from Medieval and Viking era history. DS1 was more interesting for me because of the way the Eastern influences pervert the Western fantasy style into something uncanny.
Does anyone else feel like this kind of thing is lacking in DS2's aesthetic?
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: June 17, 2015, 04:59:26 AM »

Dark Souls 3 stuff:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1063333&page=26

http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/3a58ra/today_i_got_to_attend_a_closed_door_demo_of_dark/

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: June 17, 2015, 07:03:25 AM »

Did you try DSFix? DSFix helped me a lot when I bought the game. The in game options are horrible :p

I'll try it right now, see if it works. Wish me luck!

Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic