Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 01:04:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Cave Story Animation Project
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Cave Story Animation Project  (Read 10073 times)
Gutter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:59:27 PM »

*** Full Size Image:  Right-Click ---> View Image ***

Okay...  Surely, there's a good number of people who are aware of Pixel's game, Cave Story, that went from indie game to being ported to two Nintendo, video game consoles.  And if you've been following it's evolution, it will eventually be released on the Nintendo 3DS with all new graphics.

I have this fear, that with more time and increased success, this intellectual property will be adapted into a full-blown TV series, becoming truly mainstream media.  So, before that happens, I have this one wish:  to make a mock TV animation for Cave Story.  Specifically, I aim for a TV intro animation.  It'll be a long road ahead, and I do believe August is my time limit to finish (in advance of the 3DS release).

mock animatic to music

Music:  "Labyrinth Skirmish" by k-wix ~ The Cave Story Remix Project (link dead)

This all started after revisiting the Cave Story Tribute Site (www.cavestory.org) where everything started for me.  I perused all the fan arts, the comic strips, and the various music projects; saving many a file.  Inspired by all these works, I was driven to start this project.  I'll be utilizing a combination Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, and perhaps Anime Studio (when it arrives).

I'll post new stuff or make alterations when I get the chance.  Let's see what happens in the time to come.

(right-click--> view image = full size)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:59:27 PM by Gutter » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »

Well, that was an impressive start! I hope to see it fully realized, man!
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »

Cool, certainly sounds interesting. Is that your own art there or pieces from the fan site?
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:10:27 PM »

Looks good! I've been following your stuff for a while now. Keep it up! Go go go!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 06:03:08 PM »

Not sure if your fears are really all that legitimate, but this looks nice!
leonelc29
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:05:29 AM »

wow, this gotta be great!  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »

Can't wait!  I want to see some in progress animation on this baby  Kiss

WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 12:49:22 PM »

Looks pretty groovy.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 03:44:23 PM »

I'll be watching this intently, that sounds A+

Gutter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 09:55:45 PM »

Gosh it's been a while.  Just a minor update:  tried toying with the easy animations.  

Curly's clip is originally twice the size of what I'm showing, and it will be a close-up moving from the hand, at first, to her face. She's offering Quote a hand.  She still needs work done.

Quote's Spur Blast is a combination of normal animation with layers of repeating ones on top of it (the explosions).  I'm debating if I should try animating "masks" for the beam in the video editor over hand drawing the effects.

Background assets were the bulk of my work, lately.  I slowed down consequently because of it, but I'm trying to get back on it.  I'm also getting swamped with other things on the side, but eventually I'll compile what I have to fit the music.

I'll have some more by later this week.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:26:12 PM by Gutter » Logged
leonelc29
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 10:50:30 PM »

nice to see this stuff is still going! keep it up!  Hand Shake Left Smiley Hand Shake Right
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 10:57:06 PM »

what program are you using to animate this?

Gutter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »

what program are you using to animate this?

I'm using Adobe Photoshop for frame-by-frame animation, paintings, and background assets;  A little of Audacity for minor audio editing; and Adobe After Effects for animating some background assets and piling it all together for rendering.

(right click ---> View Image = full-size) one of the few backgrounds that doesn't move.

I'm sure there's better stuff than Photoshop for animating, but I don't have the luxury of learning new stuff at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 07:09:30 PM by Gutter » Logged
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 06:08:16 AM »

You might want to have a look at http://plasticanimationpaper.dk/ as it's intended for this sort of animation. Not sure how output works as I've only been tinkering though.

Gutter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »

You might want to have a look at http://plasticanimationpaper.dk/ as it's intended for this sort of animation. Not sure how output works as I've only been tinkering though.

Thanks for that.  I'll have to give a try some time after I get through this animation project.

So I got a little further:  Balrog and Misery arrive on the scene.

Toroko is in Danger!!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:24:42 PM by Gutter » Logged
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 06:25:16 AM »

Shocked AAH This is looking amazing! Kiss

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 12:50:19 PM »

Shocked AAH This is looking amazing! Kiss

Gutter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 08:15:11 PM »

Another full on painting intended as a still in the animation.

(right-click --> view image = full-size)

Dear gawd... Toroko...

I think I'll dial back the detail when I pull some of these stills into the video at another time.
Gutter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 08:04:07 PM »

Gosh it's been a while.  I've been too busy with a teaching job that I've fallen behind on making this animation.  But...

(right click -> view image = Full Size)

... a little bit to rejoice over :  Cave Story Remix Project is back up, and Cave Story 3DS has been delayed, again.  Well... the last bit's not exactly good news but it means I have more time to work on this before it releases.

Sadly, it'll be a while longer before I get anything substantial done, again.  But I haven't stopped working on this thing.
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 08:17:21 AM »

I'm trying to think of something very positive to say about this, but even word like "awesome" is understatement.

This's awesome, though.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic