Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 07:36:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Merits of Art Styles
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Merits of Art Styles  (Read 10456 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 12:29:24 PM »

It's worth mentioning that the Borderlands screenshot there seems to be running the game at a lower setting. There's a significant amount of detail on higher settings. At least, on my computer the textures do not look flat and boring unless I crank them down. But that's not really the fault of the designers.
i have the console version
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 12:58:47 PM »

outlines like that (Borderlands) are the technical equivalent of putting zombies in your game. It's gimmicky and tasteless.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
JWK5
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »

Okami
Theophilus
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 02:24:17 PM »

Why have I never played that game? WHAT THE HECK MAN
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2011, 03:18:21 PM »

those screenshots dont represent okami very well imo. the in-game graphics are much blurrier and the palette is a lot lighter. there's also that "paper filter" over everything.

it's kind of a style-over-substance game but it competently rips off the zelda formula and puts some little spins on it here and there.
JWK5
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »

I never really felt it lacked substance. The game had a great mythology-inspired story, charming characters, plenty of places to explore, lots of things to do (that didn't feel like tacked on MMO quests), fun battles, and good game play with a good control scheme. Did it feel like Zelda? Sure, and that was their goal.

Ōkami director Hideki Kamiya states that he has been influenced by The Legend of Zelda series in developing the title.

"I was disappointed when I saw [the] visuals," said Hideki Kamiya, a self-proclaimed Zelda freak. "I really wanted [Twilight Princess] to have regal aura, because Zelda was what were aspiring to."
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »

Yeah I know that. Don't get me wrong, Okami's a good game, I prefer it over Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. All that handholding is seriously annoying though. Also my experience with the game has been sullied by trying the horrible Wii port first (I sort of missed out on it when it was first released).
JWK5
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »

Yeah I know that. Don't get me wrong, Okami's a good game, I prefer it over Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. All that handholding is seriously annoying though. Also my experience with the game has been sullied by trying the horrible Wii port first (I sort of missed out on it when it was first released).
How far did you get into it? The game only holds your hand till about Shinshu Plains and then it after that it really leaves you to your own devises. The game really pulls a 180 on you about midway through and toys with your expectations, which I thought was a clever trick (I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't played through it). All I'll say is that the game is a lot longer than it leads you to believe.

I hear a lot of people complain about the Wii version's controls, and I don't know if it is because I draw or what but I had absolutely no problems with it. In fact I was able to do a pseudo-portrait of my girlfriend (at the time) on the Celestial Brush screen as she was sitting next to me. Maybe you just have to have really good wrist control, I find it very similar to painting with a real brush as far as the movements go. I had both versions (PS2 and Wii) and I preferred the Wii version, the controls were a lot more fluid for me (I have better wrist control than thumb control).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2011, 12:29:48 AM »

The paint brush stuff is pretty much all lines and circles iirc so it's easy to draw with a stick. thats not the wii port's main problem tho: they replaced the attack button with waggle so it's almost impossible (for me) to get the timing on the combos right.
JWK5
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2011, 12:51:57 AM »

I actually had the opposite problem, I beat the Wii version before I played the PS2 version, so when I finally played the PS2 version I already had the waggle timing down and the button timing didn't feel right, lol. I eventually got used to it though. But yeah, a lot of people were complaining about the waggle.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2011, 12:53:28 AM »

If I remember right, the trick to the waggle is to alternate between horizontal and vertical motions? Wizard

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
JWK5
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2011, 02:36:17 AM »

For Okami it was a lot like painting or conducting an orchestra, to attack I'd just flick the remote in a downward arc to the "beat" of the combo.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2011, 02:55:13 AM »

If I remember right, the trick to the waggle is to alternate between horizontal and vertical motions? Wizard
The only "trick" there is to waggle is for devs to realize it's bullshit and not include it in their games.  Cool
Dragonmaw
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »

Waggle that doesn't use direction-specific motions (such as the aforementioned MadWorld) is the only kind of waggle I will accept.
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2011, 01:38:11 PM »

The thing I really don't like about Borderlands are the black lines in the textures, as demonstrated by Baha:
Dragonmaw
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 12:21:29 PM »

Speaking of art styles...
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic