Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 10:14:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Friend in need
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Friend in need  (Read 1393 times)
Kramlack
« on: September 30, 2011, 03:02:27 PM »

So there's a good friend of mine who wants to start doing art commissions of the traditional variety, but neither of us know any good places to start. For example, TIGsource has it's job sub-forum, Pixeljoint and Pixelation both have the same thing, where people go looking for pixel artists too.

I'm interested in finding the equivalent of that kind of thing for traditional artists. I know DeviantArt sort of does this, but firstly, you have to be well known to even get the hits, and secondly, it's DeviantArt, it's an awful place to be a part of. So I'm coming to the art section to see if anyone knows of good/well known forums or sites that people look around for traditional artists on, any name drops would be helpful.

Thanks.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 03:19:57 PM »

Maybe Shadowness or Artician Wink
Kramlack
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 03:27:29 PM »

Oh, derp me. I've heard of Artician (a little while ago). Shadowness also looks great. I'll pass these along. Thanks Rivon.
ezuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 01:35:02 PM »

You might try ConceptArt.org.  Or the Indiegamer forums or the rpg.net forums if your friend is interested in those areas.

"All styles are good except for the tiresome kind." - Voltaire
P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 11:23:42 AM »

I haven't really done any commissions, so take this with a grain of salt, but you could hit up some commissioners where they live: drop in on roleplay forums/MUDs/online games/whatever, maybe a couple of games.  People like to have their characters drawn.
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 03:16:23 PM »

I'd look into Conceptart.org and CGhub.com forums, both are great places and have a ton of traffic in the job department. Not sure if traditional is really big for doing commissions/freelance work for many games. I often find that many employers prefer digital illustrators as it's more convenient for editing. Not saying that he wont be able to find work, it just might be a bit hard.

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
Kramlack
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 05:39:27 PM »

Sorry I haven't been around.

@Delicious: You bring up a point that I actually derped up. I meant traditional in the sense that it wasn't pixel art, haha. They indeed do digital illustrations. I'm just looking for a place to put them in, where they can look for commissions as easily as I can on TIGs or PixelJoint. Also yeah, CGhub, how could I forget! I used to have that place bookmark'd. I'll definitely pass those along. Thanks!

@P-Flute: Yeah, that's what I was thinking (having people's characters drawn), seems like a big business on DeviantArt, but as I mentioned...

@ezuk: Yeah, they're interested in doing game stuff too, so that won't be an issue. Thanks, I'll pass along those links too.

I'll be closing this thread for now as I've gotten a lot of sites I can pass along and hopefully my friend will be able to use at least one of them. Thanks to everyone here for your name drops on these sites.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 05:44:16 PM »

This thread is closed, as per request.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic