Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 04:14:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFrontier - low poly turn based strategy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Frontier - low poly turn based strategy  (Read 1089 times)
nadult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2016, 06:16:28 AM »

Hi,

Frontier (or, 'Spirit of the Frontier') is a turn based strategy game, with simple board game mechanics (inspired by games such as Archipelago and Agricola). It's set in 18th / 19th century America and your goal is to conquer it by building encampments (which later will turn into cities or ghost towns), by sending explorers and prospectors in search for gold and good farm lands. You will have to negotiate with the natives, protect trade routes by hiring sheriffs & marshals, entertain the population by building (and improving) saloons, gambling dens, etc.

Visually I'm aiming at artsy low poly style: no textures just simple colors, interesting geometry and good lighting & shading. Illustrations of J.R. Schmidt are a great example:
http://cargocollective.com/jrschmidt/Geometric-Landscapes

Some screenshots from latest build:

I started working on this project in January this year. Hopefully in 2 or 3 months I will have something playable to show. I'll try to post some details about development every week.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:29:24 AM by nadult » Logged

TheGrandHero
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 07:43:35 AM »

What sort of gameplay style are you shooting for, do you know? Is it going to be sort of like a God Game where you're free to do mostly whatever, or more akin to a traditional 4X like Civilization, where you have a long game with a set end goal, or is it more like a board game with a set end goal, but shorter playtime per game?

Deadheat
Level 0

RAWR!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 07:54:52 AM »

I actually quite like the simple low poly style graphics. Nice job.
nadult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 08:17:28 AM »

What sort of gameplay style are you shooting for, do you know? Is it going to be sort of like a God Game where you're free to do mostly whatever, or more akin to a traditional 4X like Civilization, where you have a long game with a set end goal, or is it more like a board game with a set end goal, but shorter playtime per game?
Gameplay is very board game like: rules are quite limiting and game state small. Best example would be Archipelago:

The game isn't supposed to be long, few hours max. Being solo developer I wouldn't be able to create enough content to fill a longer game. Actually I will be completely satisfied if the game turns out short (finishable in 1 or 2 hours) but fun & interesting.
Some aspects of the game are generated randomly. For now it's mostly visuals, but I'm planning to add complete world randomization and, similarly as in Agricola, randomize initial improvements/hirelings which can be built/hired in the game. Hopefully this will increase replayability.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:29:11 AM by nadult » Logged

nadult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »

I actually quite like the simple low poly style graphics. Nice job.
Thanks Smiley Still, I'm planning to keep improving the look, first by replacing some of the models. Buildings are first in line to be replaced.

H0pe86
Level 0

Audio Guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 09:14:13 AM »

Wow I really liked the inspiration from the  J.R. Schmidt's Illustration. Really nice and clean! reminds me this game.
Did you thought about the music? any idea?

Tony Sound designer
nadult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 02:34:40 AM »

Did you thought about the music? any idea?
Not yet. I was only thinking about using some ambient sounds which I can find on the internet in the early demos.

H0pe86
Level 0

Audio Guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 05:04:52 AM »

May I send you a pm or a e-mail? Maybe I can help you.

This is my portfolio

Tony Sound designer
nadult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 03:15:12 AM »

Right now I'm focused on gameplay and I won't be thinking about adding music in the following months. Maybe in the second half of the year.

nadult
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 06:24:51 AM »

Last week I worked on two features: menus and pawn movement. What's interesting about it is that a lot of menu & pawn movement code is automated. To explain:
In my game player interacts with the game by performing actions (The only way to change anyting in the game state is to call World::performAction(...)). Each action can have a fixed number of simple parameters: either an identifier of an integer. Each parameter also has to satisfy some predicates. For example:
Action 'move' has two parameters:
- hireling_id: which has to be hired
- region_id: has to be close enough to hireling's position

In code it's defined like this:

Code:
vector<Parameter> move_params = {
      PARAM(hireling, { return hireling.isHired(); }),
      PARAM(region, { auto hpos = world(params.hireling()).hex(); return distance(region.hex(), hpos) <= 1; })
  };
  world.add("move", Action(move_params, ACTION() {
      auto &hireling = world(params.hireling());
      hireling.setPos(world(params.region()).hex());
      return true;
  }));

Because number of values one can pass as a parameter to some action is quite limited, it's possible to quickly decide whether some action can be performed or not with some constraints. This can be used for automatic generation of menus: When player clicks on some entity, game iterates over all the actions and generates the menu only with actions which actually can be performed.
  For example, when you click on building_lot entity, the game will figure out that only a 'build' action can be performed and list only the buildings which actually can be built (because they satisfy some predicates while others don't).

This action system is also used, when moving pawns (which are moved by dragging and dropping, like in ShogunTW): after grabbing some hireling game will iterate over all the actions which are related to it and generate a list of entities on which this pawn can be dropped (See screenshot: possible targets are outlined in green).

The obvious advantage of this kind of action system is that one can quickly make serious changes in logic without any modifications in hud or visual layer.
It's also useful for serialization: I can simply save all the actions which player performed to save the game and replay them when loading it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic