Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 02:29:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinesweeper
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Minesweeper  (Read 1705 times)
Mr. Thunder_Tw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 28, 2009, 05:32:16 AM »

Minesweeper 1.0

Download: v1.0 http://www.denacke.net/ronny/downloads/minesweeper_10.zip

I made this minesweeper game and I would like to have some feedback.
I've seen bugs related to 3D-cards, operating systems and myself.
I have fixed all those bugs, or so i like to think, and that makes me happy!
Thus, if there are some bugs remaining in the game, can't finish/load/save a game or read some text, let me know!!

The game is almost(95%) finished: I only need to add Highscores/ScoreHistory! finished!

NO SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS ( or realy realy low )
-operating system: Windows XP / Vista / 7 ( Windows 95/98/nt/2k have not been tested, but should work as well, let me know )
-Also works on Linux and MAC, recommended to use Wine.
-video-card: should support OpenGL 1.3 or higher
( unless your video card is older than 10 years, it should do fine )
-a mouse with 2 or more buttons

Features:
- from Tiny, up to Large fields. +Customize (max. field size = 256x256)
- Multiple lives, don't die on a single mistake. ( Can still be a single life if you want )
- Smooth zooming in and out
- choose from Full Screen, Windowed or Maximized window, no fixed resolution
- Select a theme for the game( snowy, green, dark, etc. )
- Save and Load your game.

ps: There's a reame.txt included for the controls and, if you're new to this, some short explenation to the goal of the game.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:22:26 AM by Mr. Thunder_Tw » Logged
gorgyme
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »

Initial thoughts are that the map is too big. I know you _can_ go into the Options to change it, but I want to start a game such as minesweeper and play it in 17 seconds rather than start and be swamped with a huge map. Get people to make it bigger, not smaller.

Equally, and along the same lines, there are far too many mines. Minesweeper doesn't keep a lot of interest for a long period of time. I need to really _want_ to find 150 mines before I will play it. Start with 20 or so mines and let people go upwards from there.

Maybe allow for a save so people can keep their preferences. Map size, difficulty, etc.

I really didn't like the idea of lives. In my eyes, minesweeper is such a challenge because no matter what stage you are at it is still dangerous to click anywhere unless you know for CERTAIN that it is not a mine. It only adds to the tension when you have 2 squares left and you don't know which is which.

I do quite like the squares, colours and fonts used though, and the percentage cleared is a nice little quirk that lets you know quite how close you are.
Mr. Thunder_Tw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 01:42:44 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!
Your input realy means a lot to me.

A new player on a new install, shouldn't need to change the options to start with a managable size. I agree that it should start with a small or rather a tiny mapsize.

As for the amount of mines, that's related to the selected difficulty and map-size.
The difficulty states the percentage of mines there will be on the map.

All the options you change are saved when you press the "apply" button.
All except the fullscreen/windowed- video settings.

I really didn't like the idea of lives.
I do, especialy when the field takes a lot more than 5 minutes to complete.
Although I know the challenge a single life can bring.
What if I would add a checkbox that would activate/deactivate the single-life mode,
Would you like it to be activated by default?
gorgyme
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 07:34:22 AM »

If there were an option to turn lives on/off that would be really good. It should be checked by default i feel, and then as people get more adventurous they can uncheck it. The same way that people will make their map bigger as they get better, people who want a quick game can take lives off to make it that little bit harder without it taking an extra 10 minutes to complete.

You're right it does save... That was me being clever and running the exe direct from the zip. Sorry.

The zoom is annoying, the map always starts with the menu bar obscuring part of the field. I suggest either having it zoom-1 on default, or having it so the menu bar at the top is a solid object.

With regards to the name, I don't think you can call it anything but Minesweeper. Games that are exactly the same concept as well established games but that change the name tend to either annoy or confuse people. I suggest just keeping it the same and let people know exactly what they are getting.
Mr. Thunder_Tw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:32:09 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! All the suggestions have been most usefull!!
I've uploaded a new build (v1.0) of Minesweeper.

Let the feedback continue please Gentleman

changelog:
v1.0
- Bugfix: Loading a savegame with difficulty normal (incorrect number of mines in the game)
- Bugfix: Video resolution list auto selecting
- Bugfix: Sorting highscores with identical playtimes
- Bugfix: Loading theme texture data twice on startup
- Bugfix: Some console extention commands had missing checkups / Failsafe
- Add: "Single life" gameplay option
- Add: Warning message windows @ Leaving a unfinished game & Resetting highscores
- Add: Console extention command: "LineSmooth" --> activate/deactivate GL_LINE_SMOOTH
- Add: Options window: Video & Gameplay tab Selectionlist usage arrow / indicator
- Add: Scoreboard: included special settings + table header
- Add: Options window: Video - Fullscreen/windowed settings are saved on apply
- Add: Pressing the return-key in a game opens the menu
- Update: Console extention commandlist
- Update: autofocus on submitscore window - name textfield
- Update: Logs to the console about user made - and game driven events.
- Update: Keyboard control in Windows: simple messagewindows are closed on Return-key
- Update: Keyboard control in Windows: some keybinds like 'C' == Close; O == Options; etc.
v0.9c
- Change: Font & Animation Textures now stored in the EXE Resources
- Bugfix: Option window now opens again when the size-mode is "Small"
- Bugfix: the command "anitex" previously broke the animation texture. Loading a new theme back then did not fix the problem, only restarting the program did.
- Add: Theme "Snow and ice" (featuring the above "anitex" command)
- Add: Start screen Animation.
- Add: Timer counting the amount of time you're playing.
- Add: Score board sorted on time, and filterd on size-mode and/or difficulty-mode if you wish.
- Add: Minesweeper - Icon
- Add: More safety-nets while randomly generating the minefield. Resulting in a better spread of mines, and less unsolvable situations.
- Update: Logs to the console about user made - and game driven events.
- Update: Console Extention commands - command list (cmdlist). ( missing, added & renamed a few )
Mr. Thunder_Tw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:19:13 AM »

Just a little notice:
I will never ask money for this game.
This game is 100% freeware, distribute it as much as you like!
If you distibute the game, please let me know.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic