Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 11:55:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Corporate Adventures of Mr. Mask [GGJ 2010]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Corporate Adventures of Mr. Mask [GGJ 2010]  (Read 2942 times)
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »

Haro TIGers!  Gentleman

This weekend, my friends and I cruised over to the Austin to compete in this year's Global Game Jam comp. It was an absolutely awesome experience. We were given 48 hours to develop a game and we all felt that we did quite well given our limited time frame. Our team consisted of 4 programmers, 1 main artist and 1 backup artist.

The Corporate Adventures of Mr. Mask is a Flash game about a deceptive spy in a business suit who rebels against uber-asian body guards with Fu-Manchu beards and sumo-wrestling bosses. It's quite badass if I may say so myself...

And if you digged our game, please vote for us at the GGJ site: http://globalgamejam.org/2010/mr-mask

We also ran a dev blog documenting our 48 hour experience: http://gamejam.mutualdestruction.net/

Thanks fellas! Hope yall enjoy..  Beer!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 07:13:16 PM by eddietree » Logged

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »

"Mission complete"

I liked it very well executed, the swapping was pretty fun as soon as you got it.
Perhaps some manholes along the way could have maybe been fun as maybe a danger, but overall, good jorb.  Hand Metal LeftNoirHand Joystick

edit: oh I wasn't correcting you spelling just quoting the game.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:03:52 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 09:28:09 PM »

Thanks for your kind words!   Beer!

And yes, I know that we spelled "Mission Complete" wrong.. When we realized it, we were too late. I guess that's what happens when you are deprived of sleep..  Shocked

ortoslon
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 03:23:04 PM »

i've recorded a playthrough

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:38:59 PM »

Wow ortoslon, you beat my game faster than I did! And thanks for recording a playthrough. You are a true ninja.  Ninja

Any criticisms or feedback is always appreciated.    Smiley

Droop

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:25:38 PM »

criticism: I would rather the game were only played with Z instead of Z + X. I forgot several times that you had to press x for blue and z for red, instead of just pressing z to toggle between the two.

EDIT: Oh right one more thing. The music was pretty short, it loops every... ten to fifteen seconds? It did get tedious as the game progressed.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:28:45 PM by ҉ Valter ҉ » Logged
Eraser
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 05:44:16 AM »

criticism: I would rather the game were only played with Z instead of Z + X. I forgot several times that you had to press x for blue and z for red, instead of just pressing z to toggle between the two.

EDIT: Oh right one more thing. The music was pretty short, it loops every... ten to fifteen seconds? It did get tedious as the game progressed.
Yes.. one button change would be good. I think this game is an interesting concept and should be developed more into a more complete game Wink
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:46:37 AM »

Considering this was done in 48 hours, it is an excellent game!  It had entertaining dialogue and the gameplay was intense at times.  The way you introduce the game to the player is well done as well.  Considering the time frame you had, I can't think of anything that should have been changed or added. Hand Thumbs Up Left

BinaryMind
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 02:19:20 PM »

Nicely done. Neat concept and actually doesn't overstay its welcome. One of the few indie games I managed to play long enough to beat!

Nitpicks: You could walk over the back wall which was kind of weird, and maybe the game could have looked better if there was switching sprites for each step (something that makes the guy move and look like Link from the old Zelda games).

Also, the game might get more clicks if it was called Metal Gear Mask, but it's a great name anyway! Tongue
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 03:21:38 AM »

very cool  Smiley pretty short, but you can tell a lot of effort went into designing the levels. I'd also recommend a single button mask-switch control.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 07:15:12 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback!

With all this positive feedback of our "demo", we are hoping to expand Mr.Mask into a full-fledged game sometime in the future..
 Cool

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 08:08:49 PM »

Great level design, simple concept, liked it a lot. Awesome music, great writing for each level.
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »

Given you made this in only 2 days, this is pretty awesome.  It was simple, easy to pick up, and fun... I think the only feedback I could offer would be that since there are only two masks to switch between, having a single button instead of using both Z and X would have been more intuitive.  But yeah, besides that, great job!

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 09:52:31 AM »

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I think the only feedback I could offer would be that since there are only two masks to switch between, having a single button instead of using both Z and X would have been more intuitive.

Yea, the Z and X button UI had alot of complaints. Originally, there were three masks that could be accessed with Z, X & C. We eventually took out one of the colors. But you're right, we should have made the user only use one button to switch colors.

Ryoh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 10:30:48 AM »

Dude one one "Awesome".

Had lots of fun with this one. I agree with some folks on the swapping with one button things but regardless its still a fun game.

Thanks for making it. I had fun.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic