Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 01:41:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingrejection (my EGP entry)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: rejection (my EGP entry)  (Read 1785 times)
PlayMeTape
« on: February 28, 2010, 07:01:52 PM »

So I'm done, this was kind of half assed in the end. I started working on this to get comfortable with Unity and before I knew it I had started another project.

So tonight I got my shit together and just fixed up some loose ends.

I still like the idea and I think I'll polish it some more this week, that all depends on if anyone likes it. Smiley

Play it now in your browser: http://www.makimono.org/rejection/

EDIT:

Added GameJolt mirror: http://gamejolt.com/online/games/arcade/rejection/1730/

Hope you enjoy it!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 07:12:29 PM by Christoffer » Logged
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 07:53:36 PM »

That looks pretty damn interesting! Unfortunately, my OS is not supported.  Sad

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:51:58 AM »

That's too bad Sad. Unix user?

I hope you get to enjoy it on someone elses computer. Smiley

EDIT:
I'm thinking of just lowering the number of hits you can take to one. I think this might make the game faster, more interesting, less frustrating. What do you think? Anyone Tongue?

As it is right now it feels like it quickly gets overwhelming but also lasts too long once you actually figure out how to manage the harder parts.

Anyone feel like being and angel and giving some feedback on this? More precisely: what do you think of the difficulty and the "health system"?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:38:47 AM by Christoffer » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:23:06 AM »

I think it's a neat concept ...

It seems for the yellow cubes, if you get them then all the cubes disappear, which made me think the game glitched out the first few times it happened.

It didn't feel overwhelming to me.  In a sense it becomes like a "learn touch typing" game, and it didn't seem to be getting fast enough to really be a challenge there; internet people are pretty good at touch typing.
The main challenges I noticed came from letters being obscured or hard to read sometimes ... but most of the time it's pretty relaxed.

Aside from when it glitched out and I mashed keys 'cause I didn't know what was going on, it seemed hard to actually die.  I didn't get a sense for how the health system worked really.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 11:01:33 AM »

Thanks for trying it! I agree that the concept isn't fully realized and I could probably get it working better but I feel I'm almost done with this. I'm currently uploading the new version (one hit only plus a small bug fix) which I feel is a lot more "driven".

I still think the hardest thing about game design in general is difficulty in games. I've got to work on that, or at least test more.
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 11:54:59 AM »

Nice game! But er... the graphic style has to be heavily inspired by Super HYPERCUBE :

Or is it just a crazy coincidence? Shocked

PlayMeTape
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 12:31:56 PM »

Haha, actually it is not a coincidence. Should have pointed it out (I was planning to but I uploaded this in the middle of the night). It goes like this, I worked on the game and made it consist of cubes. I had this ugly particle effect in the background to indicate the color. Then I came across a pair of red/green 3d glasses so I decided to play all those cool Gamma3D games I've wanted to try for a while.

So I saw your beautiful background cubes and decided it would look a lot nicer than my particle effect (no I won't let you see it Wink ) plus I switched my font from helvetica to century gothic as well. Smiley

The grid however was a coincidence!

I just want to go ahead and say I loooooove Super Hypercube, seriously one of my favourite "arcade" games ever!
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 02:45:20 PM »

I see! No problem, I don't own a copyright on magenta grids and bubbling cubes. Grin
Good job on the game.

Zaphos
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 04:33:33 PM »

Thanks for trying it! I agree that the concept isn't fully realized and I could probably get it working better but I feel I'm almost done with this. I'm currently uploading the new version (one hit only plus a small bug fix) which I feel is a lot more "driven".

I still think the hardest thing about game design in general is difficulty in games. I've got to work on that, or at least test more.
There is definitely some trickiness to getting the difficulty just right, but I think you're probably pretty close -- just make it ramp up a bit faster and you're probably good Smiley
PlayMeTape
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »

You're probably right, with this type of game it feels like it's almost impossible to get that kind of addictively challenging difficulty right.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic