Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 01:24:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBookQuest
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: BookQuest  (Read 5113 times)
wuhu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2012, 06:43:28 AM »

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce you to a game concept i had in my mind which i wish to develop to completion ( Current plan is for Android )
Here is a brief overview ( With selected topics taken from a game design document template found online link

4.    Section I - Game Overview

4.1.  Game Concept

Game can be described as a hybrid between a gamebook ( CYOA books ) and a turn based RPG with puzzle elements.

4.2.  Feature Set

• Persistent character(s) through different books.
    - Companions acquired in a book can be brought along in future books
    - Main character maintains stats and bonuses.
  • Persistent items through different books.
  • Community tools for creating books.
  • Many different paths/branches in a book, to promote replayability, each with their own rewards ( Items, new companions, new pets etc.. )

4.6.  Look and Feel – What is the basic look and feel of the game?  What is the visual style?

Main screen will be split down the middle, with the page and text on the right, and the page event on the left.
Art style will be that of an old book.

5.    Section II - Gameplay and  Mechanics

5.1.  Gameplay

5.1.1.    Game Progression

You start with the first page of the book, with an introduction, etc..

Each page has clickable links ( can be more than 2 ) at the bottom of the text where players make decisions. i.e :
“If you want to proceed through the gate, turn to page xx”.
“If you want to attack the traveler, turn to page zzz”.
This navigates the player through the game world ( book ).

Each page is accompanied by a page event.
A page event can be :
-        Just a picture/portrait of a scene/npc.
-        A picture/riddle that requires the player to input some text to answer.
-        A turn based rpg battlefield that requires the player to defeat an opponent(s).
-        …

Therefore it is possible to create a book with purely decision making and no combat involved much like some CYOA books. ( e.g. Be an interplanetary spy ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_an_Interplanetary_Spy

The game is complete when the player reaches the last page.
Depending on the player’s performance during the game, the player will be rewarded with a different grade of item(s) that remain persistent with the player to be used by his character(s).

5.1.2.    Mission/challenge Structure

Each page will have a page event.

5.1.2.1 Just a picture/portrait of a scene/npc.

E.g.
- A page with text describing the scene, and a picture of the scene on the left.
- A page with some dialog from a npc, with the npc’s portrait on the left.

5.1.2.2 Puzzle/picture/riddle that requires the player to input some text to answer.

E.g.
- A text field for the player to input his/her answer.
- A movable puzzle to solve.

5.1.2.3 Turn based rpg battlefield that requires the player to defeat an opponent(s).

2d oblique view of a battlefield with players, npcs, and opponents represented. There may be other obstacles/usable items/etc.. on the battlefield.
Mockup:

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:37:32 AM by wuhu » Logged
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »

Wow.

I love the mockups and I would pay for this game. I suppose the crux is whether or not the story is good, but the concept immediately hooked me.

Great!

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:22:12 AM »

In agreement with eclectocrat.  This is a beautiful touch device concept, and I'd love to it see it get completed. Smiley

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 11:10:08 AM »

This seems great. I will definitely follow this one.

sycamoredrive
Level 0

Composer. Writer. Other.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:49:49 AM »

Great idea, and it's obvious that you have a good model for future editions of the game if it's successful.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »

I like the idea also!
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »

Really nice hybrid idea. I would think given the speed at which you'd go from page to page that the turn-based aspect of it would be pretty simple? So as not to seem unbalanced.

The basic idea of a choose-your-own-adventure book but with "meatier" gameplay elements is excellent, though. Amazed it hasn't been done before.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
wuhu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »

Thx for the comments guys.
Wow.
I love the mockups and I would pay for this game. I suppose the crux is whether or not the story is good, but the concept immediately hooked me.
Great!
Yea man, when i get things up and running i really have to look into getting some serious story writing into the game.

In agreement with eclectocrat.  This is a beautiful touch device concept, and I'd love to it see it get completed. Smiley
Yes, i was also thinking that this concept would be completely suitable for touch devices, next to point and click adventures.

Oh man, I love this. It looks super charming!
This seems great. I will definitely follow this one.
Great idea, and it's obvious that you have a good model for future editions of the game if it's successful.
I like the idea also!
Thx guys!

Really nice hybrid idea. I would think given the speed at which you'd go from page to page that the turn-based aspect of it would be pretty simple? So as not to seem unbalanced.

The basic idea of a choose-your-own-adventure book but with "meatier" gameplay elements is excellent, though. Amazed it hasn't been done before.
This is where i'm a little torn, I was going back and forth between doing a battle system like robotek or a more elaborate and traditional one with a bigger scrollable map even.

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 05:10:14 AM »

Personally I'd go really bite-sized on the strategy elements. I mean it can have all kinds of depth in order to keep the variety in there, but if I were to do it, the individual battles would be things that lasted like a minute or two at most. Almost like puzzles in their completion, in that there was a clear "right way".

That could be born of simple things like knowing the order in which all the participants could move and how far they could move, and therefore "tricking" your opponents into doing things which were advantageous to you.

There's a game called Vandal Hearts 2 (not the first one!) which had this interesting "dual turn" system whereby you'd choose what your move would be and as your unit acted it out, the enemy moved one theirs at the same time. So you could figure out which enemy was gonna' move first, and then "prick tease" them into trying to backstab someone, but make it so the person they'd backstab's move was such that they'd end up in a location enabling them to backstab the enemy. It was a really interesting mechanic.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 06:23:11 AM »

I'm extremely interested in whats going on here.

wuhu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 09:22:58 PM »

Personally I'd go really bite-sized on the strategy elements. I mean it can have all kinds of depth in order to keep the variety in there, but if I were to do it, the individual battles would be things that lasted like a minute or two at most. Almost like puzzles in their completion, in that there was a clear "right way".

That could be born of simple things like knowing the order in which all the participants could move and how far they could move, and therefore "tricking" your opponents into doing things which were advantageous to you.

There's a game called Vandal Hearts 2 (not the first one!) which had this interesting "dual turn" system whereby you'd choose what your move would be and as your unit acted it out, the enemy moved one theirs at the same time. So you could figure out which enemy was gonna' move first, and then "prick tease" them into trying to backstab someone, but make it so the person they'd backstab's move was such that they'd end up in a location enabling them to backstab the enemy. It was a really interesting mechanic.
Thanks for the suggestion man, i'll look into that. Looks like an interesting mechanic, looks frozensynapish.

Progress has been slow, as i have been fumbling around in the sdk and eclipse.
But think i've worked out the layout i want.

Images and fonts are still placeholders.

book icon taken from here :http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/44976.htm
fonts taken from : 1001freefonts.com
other pics taken from some old stuff i did.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »

Nice! (only just noticed this topic had updated - d'oh!)

How many "pages" d'you see the game having? Is it something you can get through quite quickly designed to be replayed lotsa' times or a more epic quest?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »

This looks cool! Please don't scroll the book text though, it's a book!

spolvid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 05:20:27 PM »

It seems like this simplified format could work really well with an editor. People could make their own stories and share them with each other...

That's probably getting ahead of things a bit, though. Looks great so far!
wuhu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 07:14:47 AM »

Nice! (only just noticed this topic had updated - d'oh!)

How many "pages" d'you see the game having? Is it something you can get through quite quickly designed to be replayed lotsa' times or a more epic quest?
Thanks!
As an initial idea i am aiming for quite quickly with replayability, i think that formula will work better here.

Created a class to handle animation from a spritesheet. Intend to have some simple animation loops in scenes and the battles.

Again fonts are from :
1001freefonts.com

Background at the moment is a color reduced version of this :
http://www.findfreegraphics.com/wallpaper-background-8/book+wallpaper.htm

Took a placeholder scene from pixel joint :
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/64094.htm

Spritesheets and portraits made from hacking together some older stuff i made :
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:35:29 AM by wuhu » Logged
wuhu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 07:16:26 AM »

This looks cool! Please don't scroll the book text though, it's a book!
Unfortunately i think this is unavoidable. I am targeting android phones, which won't have much real estate for text  Shrug

Worked on some simple profile management.

wuhu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 07:22:43 AM »

It seems like this simplified format could work really well with an editor. People could make their own stories and share them with each other...

That's probably getting ahead of things a bit, though. Looks great so far!
Yes this is one of my goals  Wink

Made the app read book files ( currently xml ) of the form
Code:
<book name="book0" language="en">
- <page id="0" type="1" pageimage="books/book0/book0town.png" pagesound="sounds/crowd.ogg">
  <pagetext>You arriv...</pagetext>
  <link targetId="1" text="Head to the palace" />
  <link targetId="2" text="Make a detour to the local inn" />
  <link targetId="4" text="Pick a fight with the guard at the gates" />
  </page>
</book>

wuhu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 07:24:26 AM »

Worked on a simple settings page.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »

S'good that it's so transparently data-driven. I remember back in my MUDding days (Christ, I'm old...) that I loved building locations in that, and I'd imagine this would have a similar appeal. Smiley

Although obviously adding new enemies isn't so simple as it's not *purely* text. Sad

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 11:04:10 PM »

Any news on this project? Doing some research on gamebooks after rediscovering that genre (planning my own possibly... been doing some coding).

Including tactical combat on small maps in a gamebook was done in the Blood Sword series in the 90s (on actual paper) and those are about to be released as apps soon.

Have been playing Blood of The Zombies on Android and it splits long sections into pages rather than scrolling. Not sure I really think simulating a book is that important though.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic