Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 04:18:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSapling
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sapling  (Read 3814 times)
framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:45:44 PM »

I'm convincing myself to create an entire game in a week this week, so I've decided on the idea of Sapling. I haven't fleshed out too much of what is going on, but I think the basic premise will revolve around the player having to heal a tree in an enchanted forest (think Great Deku Tree). You play as the last acorn to grow on this mighty tree, and it is up to you to save the day.

(Please note that all the artwork thus far is programmer artwork. It will be redone and made much better)

Day 1:
I have gotten the basic controls down, and they feel tight. The only "juicy" things I've added are:

Random Generated wispy particle things

And

Reflective water!

Can't wait to see where this goes. Hope you all like what you see.
-framk
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:11:30 PM by framk » Logged

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:03:36 AM »

Time's up, where's the game?

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »

My friends convinced me to turn it into a bigger project. Typical me getting people's hopes up. God, I must reek of haddock.

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »

UPDATE:

In the process of switching over from using GMStudio to using either pyglet or GLUT/OpenGl. I'm not super proficient with c++, although I have time to learn.

I've talked it over with a few of my friends, and they wanted to see Sapling turn into something bigger than just a jam game, and I agree. Don't expect anything out soon, I guess. I'm sorry I don't have much to show at the moment, but I can guarantee that I will constantly work, and update you when substantial progress has been made.

Thank you very much,
Framk.

solkar
Level 0

One chili to bind them into hotness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 12:50:22 AM »

I'm not the best guy to say this but you should have completed the 1-week thing. There's always time to scale up and make things bigger, so that shouldn't be a reason to not finish something. I know because I use the same argument to trick me all the time. Result, 0 games to show up.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:50:47 AM »

@framk Why do you need to switch from GM to something else for this? I say quit the distractions and work your butt off to finish your first game  Wink
framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 03:57:28 PM »

@framk Why do you need to switch from GM to something else for this? I say quit the distractions and work your butt off to finish your first game  Wink

Okay, will do. Thank you, I'm glad I have support.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »

Okay, will do. Thank you, I'm glad I have support.
Glad to hear it man, good luck!
framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »

Would anyone be up for doing art for this? My programming art looks... pretty bad.

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 10:48:48 PM »

IMO, you don't need an artist. It's your first game, so you shouldn't be worrying about how it looks. Plus, it looks pretty good and charming.

Yeah though, making a simple game in a week as your first game was a great idea, you should just finish it. You'll learn more from finishing a small game than you will making a bunch of big, ambitious prototypes that you probably won't finish. There's nothing stopping you from making a sequel. Finishing a game that you can give people to play, and get feedback is an awesome experience.

I'd very much rather see this as a complete game. It looks really cool.

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »

UPDATE: I've gotten the game to run on linux, so expect a linux port to be available. (yay).

Here's a very early test of linux:

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 10:19:58 AM »

You'll learn more from finishing a small game than you will making a bunch of big, ambitious prototypes that you probably won't finish.

QFT.  Finishing is a skill and you need to practice it.  You'll soon find that you're surrounded by people saying, "I can never finish a game!" and you'll be glad you can.

And don't worry about art, either.  Yours is *way* better than mine at the moment.  And if you need further proof that art isn't necessary, take a look at http://candies.aniwey.net/ and see how they managed to make an awesome game with basically no art.
framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 08:13:51 AM »

UPDATE:
Fork my dongle on github:
https://github.com/jdolandev/Sapling

Rayiner
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 12:54:04 AM »

this is awesome!
gonna watch Smiley
framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 03:07:36 PM »

I've finally gotten back to work on this project, and thought it would be best henseforth to decide on a color palette. Here's the mockup I made of the palette I hope to use for Sapling.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »

Too many! I suggest looking at these.

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 04:46:22 AM »

Thanks, I was using This, but your link looks much better!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic