Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411583 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:05:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSorcerer's Maze
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sorcerer's Maze  (Read 3106 times)
davidfrankel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2010, 11:12:37 PM »

Sorcerer's Maze is a Flash-based puzzle/adventure intended to evoke the retro feel of classic, 8-bit Nintendo games.

In the near future, civilization lies in ruin. Intrepid young everyman Clyde Michaels has discovered a mysterious mansion, standing alone amidst the waste and decay.

Armed with his trusty flashlight and three magical orbs, Clyde will fight murderous mermen, psychotic skulls, and ludicrous lame-oid leeches in the SORCERER'S MAZE.

http://maze.davidfrankel.com/

Enjoy!
MacDiver
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:32:53 AM »

Simple, fun, and easy to figure out how to play.  I like it.  Plus, I'm a sucker for old 8-bit style music.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »

Delightful! I just completed it, had a lot of fun. Love the style, and the gameplay was light but short enough to keep me playing. 

twitter: @docky
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 02:46:09 PM »

This is neat. I didn't realise until I completed it and looked at the instructions that I could change my colour at will, but I don't really mind that. It just made the gameplay a bit more puzzle-like.

I don't get what the point of the hooded men was.

Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »

Nice little game!
IMO there are too much lives.
I finished game with 20 left.
Score is around 68000.
davidfrankel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 12:55:18 AM »

Thanks for checking it out.  Smiley

I don't get what the point of the hooded men was.

There are four sorcerers hidden throughout the levels.  The more sorcerers you find, the better the ending when you beat the game.

I know what you mean.  Lowering life count is on our list of changes if we do another version...
Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 02:33:09 AM »

There are four sorcerers hidden throughout the levels.  The more sorcerers you find, the better the ending when you beat the game.
If one of them was dead, than I found all on first go Smiley
i.e. 3 hooded things helped me at the end.
Barefists
Level 1

Prepare for unforseen consequences.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 06:35:41 AM »

Great game!  I throughly enjoyed it - gonna play it again later for a higher score.
I also did a review of it on my site, if you're interested. Smiley

Cheers,
XM

davidfrankel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »

I also did a review of it on my site, if you're interested. Smiley

Sweet, thanks!  Grin

P.S.  Secret hard mode if you press Z or X on the load level screen.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 05:42:52 AM »

I finished game with 20 left.
Frankly I think you should ditch the lives, just let people hammer through it level by level. Also, the score felt pretty meaningless.

Barefists
Level 1

Prepare for unforseen consequences.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 07:50:02 AM »

P.S.  Secret hard mode if you press Z or X on the load level screen.

Holy.. More secrets!!!

Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 11:17:43 AM »

Code:
TypeError: Error #1010: A term is undefined and has no properties.
at world::Menu/selected_label()
at maze_fla::MainTimeline/menu_loop()
at flash.utils::Timer/_timerDispatch()
at flash.utils::Timer/tick()
Right after I pick from the menu to start the game. It doesn't affect gameplay, it's just reported by the debug player.

Very cool game.

davidfrankel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »

Frankly I think you should ditch the lives, just let people hammer through it level by level. Also, the score felt pretty meaningless.

Y'know, that's a good idea.  Lives and score are both kind of outmoded and a little meaningless at this point.  I think I'd be inclined to keep them only because this is supposed to feel like a classic Nintendo game...

Right after I pick from the menu to start the game. It doesn't affect gameplay, it's just reported by the debug player.

Thanks for pointing this out!  I'll investigate it if we do a new version...
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 03:26:48 PM »

Y'know, that's a good idea.  Lives and score are both kind of outmoded and a little meaningless at this point.  I think I'd be inclined to keep them only because this is supposed to feel like a classic Nintendo game...
I don't think the lives add to the feel at all. Had I run out of lives I probably wouldn't have played the game again, because it just doesn't seem like managing lives/health is part of the gameplay.  I also don't know what I'm being scored for,

davidfrankel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 04:23:34 PM »

Had I run out of lives I probably wouldn't have played the game again

Oh, wow, really?  Despite that you can start from any level using the level load menu?  If lives are really that frustrating for the players (or would be, if there weren't a ridiculous number of them), then I agree that they should be removed entirely.

This is good food for thought, and I'm glad you brought it up.  We should definitely either remove lives/score or better integrate them into gameplay in the next version.

I'm curious that they don't add to the retro feel for you, though.  So many NES games had pointless (excuse the pun) point systems.  I don't think anybody bragged about their new high score in Super Mario Bros.  (At least SMB made it clear exactly what actions gave you points -- that's something Sorcerer's Maze needs to do as well.)  As for lives, I also associate those with old school games.  I was under the impression lives were a carry-over from arcade games, where each life represented a monetary value.  It took decades before console developers realized that unless lives are somehow part of the core gameplay, they should be removed entirely.   Beer!
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 11:04:49 PM »

Oh, wow, really?  Despite that you can start from any level using the level load menu?  If lives are really that frustrating for the players (or would be, if there weren't a ridiculous number of them), then I agree that they should be removed entirely.
The first time it is clear you can continue at any level is when you try to play it for a second time. The first time I was playing I saw this number of lives, and took it that my progress would be lost as soon as I lose all my lives, so the number of lives definitely loomed over me in my first play session, despite there turning out to be 'infinite continues', the game appeared to be ready to kick me to the kerb when I was playing.

I'm curious that they don't add to the retro feel for you, though.  So many NES games had pointless (excuse the pun) point systems.  I don't think anybody bragged about their new high score in Super Mario Bros.  (At least SMB made it clear exactly what actions gave you points -- that's something Sorcerer's Maze needs to do as well.)  As for lives, I also associate those with old school games.  I was under the impression lives were a carry-over from arcade games, where each life represented a monetary value. 
I've played Super Mario Bros for score against a friend, actually, and it's pretty good in that respect. Because it's an action game with one play session and no continues the scores are very real. I don't think your game is actionny enough to make good use of it, and rushing the levels would be more irritating than anything. With lives, I mostly associate these with limited chances to perform a challenging task.

You have so many good retro aspects to your game already Smiley

davidfrankel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 02:44:49 AM »

I've played Super Mario Bros for score against a friend, actually,

Touche, monsieur pussy cat.  Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic