Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 09:28:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMasjin [Updates!]
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Masjin [Updates!]  (Read 95971 times)
Aquillion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: August 04, 2011, 10:57:11 AM »

Currently, you can use the enemy computers at their base.  This can be cool sometimes, but it also means that if you get into the enemy base while your team has a decent pile of resources and the enemy is distracted, you can rapidly build a bunch of turrets around their computers, making it very tough for them to deploy...  is that intentional?

Also, the scientists seem a bit underpowered to me.  Healing is useful, sure, but all of the other classes have a much, much more dramatic impact on the game, and tend to allow strategies that wouldn't otherwise be available.  It seems to get used a lot less than the other classes, too.
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: August 04, 2011, 10:59:09 AM »

Currently, you can use the enemy computers at their base.  This can be cool sometimes, but it also means that if you get into the enemy base while your team has a decent pile of resources and the enemy is distracted, you can rapidly build a bunch of turrets around their computers, making it very tough for them to deploy...  is that intentional?

Also, the scientists seem a bit underpowered to me.  Healing is useful, sure, but all of the other classes have a much, much more dramatic impact on the game, and tend to allow strategies that wouldn't otherwise be available.  It seems to get used a lot less than the other classes, too.

Maybe a passive buff when standing within 2 blocks of a scientist? Like maybe healing?

Filth
« Reply #302 on: August 04, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »

I don't really see how they are underpowered. Even one healing tick can turn the 1v1s to your favour, and when there's lots of space they can be better than soldiers.
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 04, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »

I don't really see how they are underpowered. Even one healing tick can turn the 1v1s to your favour, and when there's lots of space they can be better than soldiers.

I agree totally! the Scientist is not underpowered, with buffed health regen and a jetpack it is really hard to beat one.

About using the computer in the enemies base. I think it's tacticly a big advantage to the team that is allready better (if it was not you would kick them out) - but only in Score and maybe CTF. In other gametypes it's not smart to stay in the enemies base, because it's wasting time. But maybe more important! It will stop the turret spam in enemy base.

Aquillion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 04, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »

...although, I meant to add, the main thing the game needs is dedicated servers.
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 04, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »

...although, I meant to add, the main thing the game needs is dedicated servers.
If you mean dedicated servers hosting matches i think it's a good idea. For 10 people i don't think you need to have a extra server for the main handling of information (chat, acounts, etc). It would be nice to have some software to run dedicated match servers, although there needs to be money or people willing to host a server on their super computers.  Smiley
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2011, 12:22:12 PM »

If I were to get a dedicated server, I'd have to start asking money for the game in some form. Hats? Durr...?

Anyhoo, I'm in No More Sweden at the moment so no updates for a couple days. I've been fixing loads of little annoying bugs.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: August 08, 2011, 03:46:13 AM »

Ok, back to work on this - expect an update this week.

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 08, 2011, 04:04:54 AM »

would you accept donations for a dedicated server?
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: August 08, 2011, 04:14:29 AM »

would you accept donations for a dedicated server?

Technically yes, but first I should find out some information about dedicated servers in general. Also if I were to start a dedicated server, in the long run I should find some more reliable source of money than donations. Currently I'll try to polish the game as much as possible, and worry about the server later.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:37:11 AM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: August 08, 2011, 08:27:46 AM »

Better than running the dedicated server yourself: work on a dedicated server client so that anyone who wants to help can just run it on their amazing machines. But like you said, its a completely different thing to look into.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: August 12, 2011, 07:12:58 AM »

1.6 is out! Very small update today, gentlemen, because I've been preoccupied by various other things. However, there are some neat little fixes/changes here:

• Turrets should now work proper. No more nameless killers! Also if a player logs off, his turrets disappear.
  • You can't use the fabricators and such in the enemy base. This kinda sucks, I know, but there were some really annoying tactics around.
  • There was a silly bug in the Ore Race that made it horrendously unfair for the red team, but now it's fixed.

FULL VERSION 1.6 GET!

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: August 14, 2011, 02:25:43 AM »

I'm beginning to really consider adding the engineer back, making him what was suggested earlier, a moving fabricator.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2011, 12:30:13 AM »

I can't wait to spam gravity grenades. I assume a build time will make most spamming not as useful, but since gravity grenade last a while, they might work. Maybe a separate build time for different items? I don't see gravity spam being a huge problem though.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »

I can't wait to spam gravity grenades. I assume a build time will make most spamming not as useful, but since gravity grenade last a while, they might work. Maybe a separate build time for different items? I don't see gravity spam being a huge problem though.

I'm not sure what'd be the best approach to making the engineers not ridiculously powerful. Currently I'm quite sure I'll at least make the prices a bit higher, and allow only certain items for this engineer ability. Build time might be a good idea, but in case more extreme restriction was needed, it could be so that the Engineer selects a singular item he can duplicate in the base, and afterwards he can only create those items until he returns to the base.

For this next version I'll make it without building times or such; only upped price and item limits. We'll see how stupid that gets!

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: August 15, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »

VERSION 1.7 is upon us! Changelog:
  • New class, the engineer! Stand still and press Z to open his own special fabricator. Since there are no other downsides but increased price, I imagine they'll need some balancing. But hey, they're here anyhoo.
  • Moved the turret healing ability from cybermasons to engineers.
  • Fixed a couple weird bugs.
  • The game now shows information about the gamemode as you join.
  • You can leave a buy menu just by clicking anywhere.
  • There was a really easily exploitable builder glitch that allowed basically unlimited griefing; fixed that and trying it again makes you suicide so don't even try!
  • Fixed a really dumb bug about money. Protip: when you send signed bytes remember to check if the value sent is between -128-128!

FULL VERSION 1.7 GET!

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: August 16, 2011, 03:43:18 AM »

Updated to 1.7b to fix these:
  • There were some really dumb ways to exploit the safety zone to kill people in there; thanks PiJokra!
  • There was a bug with the engineer turning into a ninja if he changed to the class mid-game.
  • A couple small tweaks.

Link's the same!

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2011, 06:17:46 AM »

There was a bug with the engineer turning into a ninja if he changed to the class mid-game.

Something like that would make a fun feature to the game, imo.

leapfrog
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 16, 2011, 05:43:39 PM »

I was running this in Linux under wine at around v 1.4., but as of the last couple updates I can't get in.  I thought the server was down at first, but it seems like with every update I can't make any progress on connecting, so I started to think it's on my end.  What's going on?  Sad
PiJoKra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: August 24, 2011, 06:36:12 AM »

Mmm, sometimes when I play (mostly when I am alone in the none-mode) and I trow a dirtbom, this happens. Is that a bug? Tongue

Also, sometimes people look, and behave like an orb, while they aren't an orb:

And this is one bug to:
  • You can leave a buy menu just by clicking anywhere.
Well, the enginiers can't...

and the last bug for today :+)
Sometimes airplanes which are going to the left, have the sprite of an airplane going right, and same for right.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:03:21 AM by PiJoKra » Logged

« Last Edit: Today at 00:00:00 AM by me »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic