Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 04:07:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDevastated (version 0.3.2)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Devastated (version 0.3.2)  (Read 8537 times)
Micco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 01:37:16 AM »

Alright, maybe I'll increase the amount of ammo given from the pickups.

I also forgot to mention in my other post that your game reminds me of a sort of cross between iji and knytt.  Smiley
I have never played knytt but I've played Iji. An oh boy how awesome it is! Smiley I could say that this game is inspired by Iji and Borderlands. "Iji and Borderlands put into a blender" Wink
Pencil_In_Pain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 02:17:02 AM »

What? It's over? That's not fair. I was having an awesome time! Really promising game. I just finished the beta and can't wait for a new version.

Here's some ideas. Take what you like, ignore what you don't:

-> I second It'd be cool to have some more variety, or landmarks, in the maps. It'd be nice to be able to differentiate towns at first sight.

-> That weird flicker while reading messages is annoying. You get used to It eventually, but if you could get rid of It, that'd be great.  

-> The minimalistic graphics are fantastic, but I had some problems to distinguish some objects from the background. The first time I got to a train station I didn't notice the train in there until It moved. Same for the projectiles of the tank or the computers in towns. Maybe you could try a different combination of colors?

-> Near the end of the game, I had to talk to a questgiver called James (before I could go down the fortified tower to fight the tank). However, James didn't have an exclamation sign on top of his head. That got me disoriented for a moment, since I thought there were no quests left in the game.

-> I'd try to find a way to call player's attention to that nice scene where you talk to a woman about some bad news. It's easy to miss that cool bit.

-> Also, when I walk into the mines, in the darkness, I hear a shotgun sound effect playing there. Am I missing something?

-> Some might say the game is too easy, but I enjoyed the difficulty level. I was never frustrated and It was the variety of the quests that kept my interest all the time.

So, keep It up. The new screenshots look great. We'll be looking forward to a new release  Coffee

Micco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 02:51:44 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!
In the next version more variety will be added. As for the flickering, I'll see what I can do. It seems that some computers suffer this more than others, and mine primary PC doesn't suffer from flickering nearly at all. Undecided

Thanks for the graphics tip, I think I'll add somesort of border etc. to make things more nociable.

There are various exlamation marks missing, thanks for pointing James out. And the island woman scene is kinda "hidden" there, so if you visit the island before going to Ashvale and realize that it has been raided the dialogue/option choosing won't trigger.  It's kinda hard to make players notice her, maybe if I put and exlamation mark over her head Smiley

Shotgun sound effect? Undecided I've never noticed that. Maybe if I listen to the background music and concentrate...
He he! Now I got it! Big Laff It's only a part of the music track. It has nothing to do with the game. I couldn't have noticed that myself if someone hadn't pointed that out  Grin

Good thing that you found the difficulty alright. May I ask you in which difficulty setting you played?

BTW, I just counted the screens of the game. At the moment there are 104 SCREENS in the main game plus 4 screens in the training session. Shocked
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »

Micco,

I like this game. I think the style is pretty. The sound is great. I found the control a little fiddly at first but soon got used to them. The little tiny enemy's were frustrating because my bullets couldn't hit them. Also, I found it hard to distinguish who was an enemy and who was a friend I should talk to. Perhaps the humanoid enemy's should be a different color than you allies?
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 03:24:33 PM »

This looks fun! Downloading it now. I will post up my thoughts tomorrow as i'm just off to bed.

Micco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 12:18:15 AM »

Micco,

I like this game. I think the style is pretty. The sound is great. I found the control a little fiddly at first but soon got used to them. The little tiny enemy's were frustrating because my bullets couldn't hit them. Also, I found it hard to distinguish who was an enemy and who was a friend I should talk to. Perhaps the humanoid enemy's should be a different color than you allies?
Glad you like it Smiley About the enemies and allies getting confused, I've made a short monologue to the next build to make things a little more clear, something like "Geez, I believe that's one of those mutants the sarge told me about. I think I need to kill him." Durr...?
Micco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 08:28:28 AM »

Hi there guys!

Just wanted to write here what's going on with Devastated since it has been a long time I last posted here.

Anyway, the progress is doing great. The game areas will nearly double in size when the next build comes out. In total there will be 172 screens in the next update. The next build will also feature lots of more stuff to do, including quests, arena, achievements ("challenges" in Devastated), new player abilities, improved movement engine, more enemies and much more. A lot of thought has been given to the new areas - no area is alike and they all have different background scenery and landscape.

To track the development progress, check out the newly established Devastated development blog at: http://devastated-game.blogspot.com/

Stay tuned for version 0.3.0, guys!  Wink
Micco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »

Version 0.3.2 released! After months of, ummh, "work", the update is finally here! The new version features a lot of new stuff to do, including new areas, quests, somekind of an arena, new enemies, challenges, new scenery, an another boss battle and much more!

You can get the game from here:
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/rpg/devastated/3543/
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/145400-devastated

If you have played 0.2.x and would like to start from the end of the previous version:
There is a cheat code for just that! Do this and you'll start where you left:
  • Start a new game with the difficult level you wish to play
  • In the first screen, after the dialogue press and hold DOWN ARROW and X
  • A cheat entry box should appear. Wipe out any extra X's you may just have accidently typed and type carefully skip content and press ENTER
  • Confirm the content skip
  • Read the epic comic if you want. You will have to make one selection and choose which level you want to start on
  • You should spawn in the screen where the tank used to be. Because of a glitch the HUD is invisible but will re-appear when you change screen. You will now start automatically to level up until you reach the selected level
  • Start playing!

Comments are appreciated Smiley
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:02:19 AM by Micco » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic