Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 05:03:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Sketchbookr - The 32KB Blog for Lazy Artists
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Sketchbookr - The 32KB Blog for Lazy Artists  (Read 6492 times)
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:57:36 PM »

Hey guys, I made a blog thing for lazy artists:

http://www.adamatomic.com/sketchbookr/

It's cool, but it only runs on PHP5.  Also it is all like CSS and shit if you are into that!

I developed it to use with my personal sketchbook project for this year:

http://www.adamatomic.com/2009/

But the PHP backend for it has turned into a useful little thing on its own, so I've been beefing it up a bit.  The new version is 1.3 and it has some simple gallery support!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:55:48 PM by AdamAtomic » Logged

cup full of magic charisma
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 01:39:50 PM »

First off: that stegosaurus is NICE!

Secondly, it's a bit sad you can't add descriptions/titles or be able to comment pictures, but it IS a featherweight script, which is nice. I'll add this to one of my sites to ease the process of finding things in my image folder  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

EDIT: I noticed that big images (~2000x2000 or bigger) gets posted below the list of files, care to add some code to fix it?  Beg
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:48:25 PM by pen » Logged

I AM FREE!
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 01:56:12 PM »

Hmmm it's a floating layout, so I actually don't know if I can change that or not!

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »

Hmmm it's a floating layout, so I actually don't know if I can change that or not!
Couldn't you make a table, with two columns and 1 row, and put the image in the second column, or would that defy the whole purpose of doing it with a floating layout?
(if it does, could you make a horrible bastard child for me to use?)

I AM FREE!
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 02:08:07 PM »

Umm...

basically no.

All the formatting is handled in style.css, you are 100% free to edit and hack and slash all you want Smiley

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »

Umm...

basically no.

All the formatting is handled in style.css, you are 100% free to edit and hack and slash all you want Smiley
Time to go mutilate some code then  Evil

I AM FREE!
Devlin
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 02:10:59 PM »

Using it right now.

DevlSoft image dump.

Will be hacking and slashing. Will post an updated css file if I do anything special with the theme.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 02:21:48 PM »

Nice :D  Yeah if there is a good way to keep the layout floating AND accomodate those large images that'd be great, and I'm definitely interested in upgrading the script to be able to do XML in PHP4 as well as PHP5, its just I am a PHP noob and don't have code for this, and definitely don't have the motivation to learn how to do XML parsing in PHP4 when it is a single command in 5 Tongue

Glad you guys are diggin it!

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 02:23:36 PM »

Nice :D  Yeah if there is a good way to keep the layout floating AND accomodate those large images that'd be great, and I'm definitely interested in upgrading the script to be able to do XML in PHP4 as well as PHP5, its just I am a PHP noob and don't have code for this, and definitely don't have the motivation to learn how to do XML parsing in PHP4 when it is a single command in 5 Tongue

Glad you guys are diggin it!

I've been using filezilla and copypasting/trying to remember filenames to be able to link to things, this is a 10kb godsend.  Kiss

I AM FREE!
Devlin
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 02:35:34 PM »

I've just been piddling with the CSS file at the moment. I can't do PHP to save my life.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:03:47 PM by Devlin » Logged
Gnarf
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 03:15:29 PM »

I've been wanting something pretty much exactly like this for a while. Never bothered looking for something to use (what with the laziness, I suppose), and now I don't even have to do that. So thanks. It's real neat Smiley
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 04:50:17 PM »

Ok I put up a new 'install.zip' package, after Kyle and Ivans pestered me to add image-click-to-go-next type navigation.  I added some filename highlighting into the mix too!

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 05:49:19 PM »

Niiice. When I get round to rebuilding my site I think I'll include this. I'm totally a fan of super-simple apps. But I got that whole 'lazy artist' thing going on so it may be some time until I do.

I do wish that there was a list view as well... where it just shows the most recent 10 or something images on a single page.

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 05:52:42 PM »

I just started to do some php stuff.  I've made a little webside so far, but I'm going to read up on databases more and work for better total integration.

As for the image problem, you may be able to solve it with max widths, and possibly overflow causes.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 06:01:26 PM »

Added the RSS description to the page title bar, looks all...bloggy now Tongue

Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 08:34:46 PM »

When I first tried it out, it gave me this batch of errors:

Warning: fopen(rss.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /Volumes/Legion of Doom/j/jsutter/Sites/sb/manifest.php on line 45

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /Volumes/Legion of Doom/j/jsutter/Sites/sb/manifest.php on line 46

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /Volumes/Legion of Doom/j/jsutter/Sites/sb/manifest.php on line 47

Warning: fopen(delete_me_to_update.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /Volumes/Legion of Doom/j/jsutter/Sites/sb/manifest.php on line 51

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /Volumes/Legion of Doom/j/jsutter/Sites/sb/manifest.php on line 52

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /Volumes/Legion of Doom/j/jsutter/Sites/sb/manifest.php on line 53

Warning: simplexml_load_file() [function.simplexml-load-file]: I/O warning : failed to load external entity "delete_me_to_update.xml" in /Volumes/Legion of Doom/j/jsutter/Sites/sb/manifest.php on line 56

I fixed the error by copying the "delete_me_to_update.xml" and "rss.xml" files off of the example and putting them into mine, but then the "delete that file to update" thing doesn't work.
 I don't know if that's just something weird on my end, but I don't know enough about .php to see the problem.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 08:39:44 PM by Pigbuster » Logged
Corpus
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 02:39:24 AM »

Looks like you have (unix, presumably) file permission problems. The issue is that it's saying "Permission denied" for both rss.xml and delete_me_to_update.xml.

Make sure that the user used to run php scripts on your domain has permission to access those files.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 01:31:38 PM »

I love this. :) Personally, I have no use for it, since I already have a pictures blog of my own, but I know the kind of people that would appreciate this. One thing, though: For extra ease of use for not very computer-literate people, I think a simple uploading script (that also deletes the XML file in the process) would be much welcome.

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 01:57:29 PM »

I love this. Smiley Personally, I have no use for it, since I already have a pictures blog of my own, but I know the kind of people that would appreciate this. One thing, though: For extra ease of use for not very computer-literate people, I think a simple uploading script (that also deletes the XML file in the process) would be much welcome.

It feels like something like that would defeat the purpose - either other people can upload things, or you need a username&password, which must be set. if a person can upload the install via a ftp program, they can update the page.

That's (just) my opinion.   Tongue

Edit: My sketchbook just died when I uploaded a new picture - and I discovered that if your filename includes "&" the whole thing blows up. Which is not always nice.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:20:04 PM by pen » Logged

I AM FREE!
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 03:16:19 PM »

Hummm not 100% sure why the & would kill it, but my guess is PHP5's simplexml_load functionality doesn't auto-convert or otherwise nicely handle reserved/special characters.  A fancier XML system would probably convert the ampersands to "amp;" or some such?  Maybe that's something I can screen for on my end too though, I'm not sure!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic