Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 01:56:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain  (Read 3776 times)
partymetroid
Level 1

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2009, 06:44:06 PM »

I bought this book a couple of months ago, and stopped reading because I couldn't find a certain item (page-sized view finder) around town.  But now we have a Michaels, so it's cool.  But now I'm concerned about the decision of whether to start reading it again or not.  Can anyone give me a reasonable reason to NOT read it?  I really like it so far, but if there are great criticisms with it, I might not want to supplement my studies with it.  Oh, btw, I can't take art courses because of a mental illness that keeps me out of school.  I'm going to wait until college to start up art classes again. (I'm currently 17.)

Thank you. Smiley
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 06:57:36 PM »

Undecided

why dont you just start reading it and then see if you enjoy it?

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
partymetroid
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »

Undecided

why dont you just start reading it and then see if you enjoy it?
I have read a lot of it, and I do enjoy it.  I just don't know if I'm wasting my time (in fact, I'm probably not.  I don't even know why I started this topic, in retro spect. Shrug).

This  thread is now dedicated to talking about the book! Gentleman

It's basically about entering in a mode of complete concentration and ecstasy that allows one to "get in the zone" and create very well.  Its relationship to the right side of the brain is that the right side of the brain apparently controls that section...
mozzy
Level 1

The Wild Thing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 07:40:18 PM »

I always feel that I work better when I'm not focusing on what ever it is that I'm working on.
Maybe because I feel that when I try too hard on something, I feel accomplished when I finish, even if it is bad.

But hey that's just me.
partymetroid
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 07:43:25 PM »

I always feel that I work better when I'm not focusing on what ever it is that I'm working on.
Maybe because I feel that when I try too hard on something, I feel accomplished when I finish, even if it is bad.

But hey that's just me.
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly; are you saying that you try to NOT focus because it would make you feel accomplished?  Or are you saying that you DO focus because it makes you feel accomplished?  Or something else?
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 08:18:15 PM »

...I thought it was a book that taught observational drawing?

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:25:11 PM »

But hey that's just me.
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly; are you saying that you try to NOT focus because it would make you feel accomplished?  Or are you saying that you DO focus because it makes you feel accomplished?  Or something else?

He is saying that if he actively focuses and works really hard on a drawing, no amtter what, he thinks it is good. Right? Same thing happens to some game developers, or other artists. They work so hard on something, and out so much in it, they don't notice it... isn't very good. Right?
mozzy
Level 1

The Wild Thing

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 09:35:53 PM »

Yup, that's exactly what I meant.
partymetroid
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 09:49:39 PM »

...I thought it was a book that taught observational drawing?
It is, and it teaches one to observe better by entering "R-Mode", what I earlier stated to be a state of concentration and ecstasy.

[edit]

But hey that's just me.

He is saying that if he actively focuses and works really hard on a drawing, no amtter what, he thinks it is good. Right? Same thing happens to some game developers, or other artists. They work so hard on something, and out so much in it, they don't notice it... isn't very good. Right?
One can just redraw what he made... at least it'd be accurate to the original design.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:56:16 PM by partymetroid » Logged
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 09:56:48 PM »

Screw all that self-help bullshit. The only way to get good at drawing is to draw, every day.

That said, I have found some of the techniques in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain to be useful (if even for pure relaxation), and reading books isn't going to hurt your studies... just don't confuse reading about things with doing things.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 11:09:48 PM »

Yup, that's exactly what I meant.

Same thing, kinda, happens with me. I only draw when there is nothing else to do. I can't focus, and make myself draw. Mine is about focus too, but in a different context.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 04:44:34 AM »

The only way to get good at drawing is to draw, every day.

Listen to this man. Listen to him well.
Captain_404
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 05:51:00 AM »

I read this book in eighth grade and it basically changed the way I think about drawing and creativity in general. Those who say the only way to get good is to draw every day are right, but it won't hurt you to read this either. In fact, I'd say if most of your past experience has been with cookie cutter art class projects, as mine was, I'd highly recommend this a jumping off point.

It can help you, but it obviously won't make you perfect.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 05:52:34 AM »

While I can understand that the best way to learn drawing is to draw, there is one thing that has always been irking me with this.

I mean, yeah, if I, for example, draw something now, it'll look pretty jaggy and shitty. I don't know anything about shading or perspective or ANYTHING for that matter.

But in like 2 years of drawing a picture daily (for example) I'll still don't know anything about shading or perspective. My drawings may have smoother lines and everything but will probably still be crappy  Concerned

It's something I've been trying to wrap my mind around since forever now, but maybe I'm just trying too hard and think to much about it Huh?
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 06:20:40 AM »

because you will learn how you move your hand in order to make shades look realistic, perhaps

ben2theedge
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 06:35:08 AM »

Drawing is two-sided.

There's knowing all of the theory in your head, and also having the physical ability to control your hand in a way that is accurate to what's in your head. Only developing your hand and arm muscles without understanding any of the theory will actually cause a lot of problems later down the road; ten years in you'll wonder why all of your art is just meticulous copies of other people's styles, poses, etc. It's not too hard to draw what other people have already drawn just by looking at it, which is why Deviantart is a cesspool of anime and invader zim styles.

I made this mistake myself over my entire life and at 22 years old I was frustrated with how derivative my art was (and still is to some extent) and I've now gone back to all those dusty books I had refused to read. Creating a new image that no one has ever seen before requires basic understanding of how an image is constructed, as well as the "rules" and how they can be broken. That requires a lot of book reading!

So my answer is, read the book! And when you're done, start reading another one!
partymetroid
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 07:30:38 AM »

Drawing is two-sided.

There's knowing all of the theory in your head, and also having the physical ability to control your hand in a way that is accurate to what's in your head. Only developing your hand and arm muscles without understanding any of the theory will actually cause a lot of problems later down the road; ten years in you'll wonder why all of your art is just meticulous copies of other people's styles, poses, etc. It's not too hard to draw what other people have already drawn just by looking at it, which is why Deviantart is a cesspool of anime and invader zim styles.

I made this mistake myself over my entire life and at 22 years old I was frustrated with how derivative my art was (and still is to some extent) and I've now gone back to all those dusty books I had refused to read. Creating a new image that no one has ever seen before requires basic understanding of how an image is constructed, as well as the "rules" and how they can be broken. That requires a lot of book reading!

So my answer is, read the book! And when you're done, start reading another one!
Betty Edward's (the author's) program has apparently helped a LOT of people become better at drawing in a very short amount of time.  Here's a gallery of her student's work.  Of course, that's after a in-person course, but needless to say, I think she knows what she's talking about...

I can't even remember why I had doubts as to the ability for that book to help me. Grin  By the way, guys, I do draw a lot, and I'm pretty good at it.  I just want to become better. (I'll take some advice and draw more. Smiley)
Corpus
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 12:54:46 PM »

I think it's kind of assumed that, in drawing every day, you're also putting thought into ways of improving your technique and endeavouring to understand essential concepts such as those you mentioned.

I wouldn't have thought anyone would think that they can get much better at anything just by doing it a lot without ever experimenting or making considered changes to their technique.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 02:53:33 PM »

I'll probably get the book, once I've some spare money again. I've been wanting to start with drawing for quite some time now, and this book'll be as good a starting point as any.
Danrul
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 04:35:34 AM »

Drawing regularly is not beneficial if what you're doing every day is the same.  It will move you along at a snails pace enforcing and solidifying bad habits.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic