Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 04:11:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Feminine Form
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Feminine Form  (Read 9863 times)
partymetroid
Level 1

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2009, 03:54:34 PM »

Hey all.  I need to know how to draw the feminine form for a character.  What else differentiates a feminine body from a male body besides breasts, larger hips, and a different buttocks?  I know this is a strange question coming from a 17-year-old, but I don't really have female friends readily available as I don't go to school (it's a long story that I'd rather not share).

Thanks for your reply,
Aaron.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 03:57:35 PM »

Well I believe the male form is generally more blocky while the female form is more... ergonomic. Their legs tend to get thinner near the feet.

However, I believe not only form, but motion is an important factor, which I cannot describe with words, you must look at videos.

partymetroid
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 04:05:41 PM »

However, I believe not only form, but motion is an important factor, which I cannot describe with words, you must look at videos.
Does my character have to walk like a lady... ? Corny Laugh

I get what you're saying, but I think the masculine figure is ergonomic, too.  It's just the combination of femininity and ergonomics that I have to find... whatever the heck "femininity" is, anyway.  The difference between femininity and masculinity is too profound for me to understand Embarrassed.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 04:15:59 PM »

Narrower shoulders, broader hips, rounder skulls, more tapered hands/fingers, average height difference of about 4 inches. Many of these have kind of cascading effects on the placement of musculature and whatnot. I suggest you check out Derek's figure drawing totoreal.

partymetroid
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 04:38:16 PM »

Narrower shoulders, broader hips, rounder skulls, more tapered hands/fingers, average height difference of about 4 inches. Many of these have kind of cascading effects on the placement of musculature and whatnot. I suggest you check out Derek's figure drawing totoreal.
... he has one of those? o.o

I had no idea... no idea... no... words... should have sent... a poet...

[edit] Could you link me?  I'm having trouble finding it.
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 04:39:20 PM »

This is weird because usually people are better at drawing the opposite sex due to how much they look at them.

As in I can draw female forms fairly well but I can't draw a guy for shit.

So, all I can suggest is curves, those are the main distinguishing feature, but don't go all out and be sexist, thats just annoying.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 04:42:29 PM »

You aren't going to get any good at this just by talking about the defining characteristics of female form.
You are going to have to study this shit.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 05:00:14 PM »

The skeleton is actually quite a bit different, in the skull, rib cage, and pelvis areas.  The skull has less prominent cheek bones, jaw and brow while the forehead doesn't slope back as much.  The rib cage is smaller, and the pelvis area is wider, with the coccyx goes back at a greater angle than a males, since females tend to have to pass certain large objects through that area on occasion (did you know the pubic symphysis, the part where the hip bones join in the front, actually has to separate during childbirth?  Crazy).    Men also have about 6 general fat pads around the body, where women have 11.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:08:42 PM by Markham » Logged

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »

...oh

i guess there are no boobs in here   Undecided

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
partymetroid
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 05:25:20 PM »

The skeleton is actually quite a bit different, in the skull, rib cage, and pelvis areas.  The skull has less prominent cheek bones, jaw and brow while the forehead doesn't slope back as much.  The rib cage is smaller, and the pelvis area is wider, with the coccyx goes back at a greater angle than a males, since females tend to have to pass certain large objects through that area on occasion (did you know the pubic symphysis, the part where the hip bones join in the front, actually has to separate during childbirth?  Crazy).    Men also have about 6 general fat pads around the body, where women have 11.
That's exactly what I wanted to know! Grin  I know talking about it alone won't help much, but this gives me something to go on until I can get back to school and interact with... people outside my family Huh?.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 05:38:12 PM »

Could you link me?  I'm having trouble finding it.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2960.0

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 05:39:14 PM »

Generally speaking, females are made up of curves, whereas males are made up of straight lines. This may sound overly simplistic, but as a rule of thumb it's useful. When you're drawing a male you're going to use more straight lines, squares, and rectangles, and when you're drawing a female you're going to use more curved lines, circles, and ellipses.

partymetroid
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 06:38:56 PM »

http://www.thesupersecret.com/aaron/scan.jpg

I know, it's horrid.  Please be constructive in your criticisms, though.
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 07:09:59 PM »

Use a curvier posture to emphasize the femininity, and make the hips as wide or wider than the shoulders.

Sorry, not much of an artist myself, but working on it.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 07:10:42 PM »

Back is too broad, neck is too thick -- in general the anatomy seems off. I'm not an artist though so I can't say more than that.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 07:31:12 PM »

This isn't female-specific but that head seems really big...

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 07:51:21 PM »

The rib cage is smaller, and the pelvis area is wider, with the coccyx goes back at a greater angle than a males, since females tend to have to pass certain large objects through that area on occasion

You will get viciously slapped if you poorly draw a lady's coccyx. That shit don't fly.
december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 08:32:38 PM »

Most women stand with most of their weight over one leg than having center of gravity dead center.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »

Hm, I'd like to take a moment to point out that a lot of the things that people seem to associate with the feminine form don't really have that much to do with actual physical differences between male and female bodies. Things like:
Back is too broad
I have seen a number of ladies who are very broadly built, and I would even consider them quite attractive. I'm frankly a little tired of seeing all women in visual fiction have approximately the same frame with minor variations. This is kind of OT though so I'll just leave it at that; I'm just reminding people to not draw what they think they see or what they want to see, but what's realest and most interesting.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 08:55:07 PM »

Well, yes, women do come in all shapes and sizes, but I assumed in that pic that he was going for average or "symbolic" woman rather than a particular character. There are women with moustaches too, or women with breasts no larger than a man's, etc.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic