Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 04:35:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Atmospheric Photo Compo WINNER ANNOUNCED
Poll
Question: Which 2 Photos are the most Atmospheric?  (Voting closed: February 09, 2009, 08:47:45 PM)
isaac - 5 (8.9%)
Renton - 6 (10.7%)
Andreas - 0 (0%)
NWOGBBV - 2 (3.6%)
Synnah - 0 (0%)
Bennet - 8 (14.3%)
Jad - 1 (1.8%)
moogled - 0 (0%)
Ivan Safrin - 2 (3.6%)
Joaquim - 1 (1.8%)
smn - 11 (19.6%)
brog - 4 (7.1%)
Chrissketch - 2 (3.6%)
Inane - 0 (0%)
Kitten - 0 (0%)
Adamski - 1 (1.8%)
Nava - 1 (1.8%)
Xion - 2 (3.6%)
NaYoN - 0 (0%)
GregWS - 0 (0%)
Jackson - 9 (16.1%)
TooMuchSpareTime - 1 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Atmospheric Photo Compo WINNER ANNOUNCED  (Read 4746 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:47:46 PM »

Well, I'm a couple days late, but here's the voting for the Atmospheric Photo Compo!!! 

22 Entries guys, this is really amazing!  Kiss Kiss Kiss

So, here's the thread for a refresher; the poll is in the order that the photos showed up in the thread.  NOTE: Jackson took back his first photo (page 1), so his name shows up much later for his second submission.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4414.0

The poll will last for 7 days, people are each allowed 2 votes, and I've kept the results hidden until the poll ends so as to prevent popularity contests.

PRIZE: the winner of this compo gets to choose the next "Art and Design" compo!  A lot of people liked how easy it was to enter this competition, and I think that's just great, and I'd like to see more of that!  Smiley  So for the winner, try and make something easy to enter for the next one, and see if we can top 22 entries and get the community even more involved!  Grin  (Still related to game design in some way, of course.)

And please discuss why you chose the photos you did, what you think gives them their strong atmosphere, etc.  I definitely think there's a lot to learn from that, and ideally that would help us with creating atmosphere in games.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:41:39 AM by GregWS » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:09:40 PM »

Gah! Only 2 votes, this is hard to decide. I may actually change my votes by the end of the week
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:19:06 PM »

I have to pick TWO? CURSE YOU!

This was a great compo, by the by. Seemed easy to enter, and had great results. To use the cliche, you're all winners.

Archie revealed his two, I'll reveal one - smn. It's just... an amazing photo. It doesn't seem real, yet it could only be real. It must be the lighting, I suppose, but despite it being simply a staircase it still looks... I dunno. Special? Sacred? Otherworldly? Also, it's got some MC Escher going on, bonus points there.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:09:32 PM by Aaron Muscat » Logged
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:25:01 PM »

Are you telling me you'd rather pick ONE???  Seemed like 2 would be easier actually; I had to whittle it down from 4.

Oh, yes, my choices and why:

smn: Perfect lighting and colour made for an amazing little niche in the urban fabric.  I think it's that interplay of light and shadow that really takes this one to the next level, and I'd say mastering that is key for creating atmosphere.  You also captured it perfectly, and I think we're all aware of just how much of a pain night shots can be.

Xion: Again, light, shadow, and colour.  The whole thing felt very alive, and it has those natural silhouettes that develop from back lighting.  I also thought the framing of the scene was quite well done; good show sir!  Gentleman
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »

Oh man, cool thread. A couple of those really jumped out at me, which I guess made voting really easy.

Renton
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:06:27 PM »

Being the picky asshole of an amateur photographer that I am, I'll have to say that only Benzido and Isaac's photos have satisfied my appetite.
Jrsquee
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »

I went for Benzido and Crissketch. 

Benzido's is just wonderful:  The lighting is great, the rolling hills and lines from the vineyards provide gentle focus and direction for the eye, and the soft, warm late-afternoon sun with the shadows of the receding storm just help tie it all together.

Crissketch is great too.  Again, there's that warm lighting, but the effect of splicing the frames is really neat.  The quirky holga focus and vignetting lend a nice look to this photo.
Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 12:24:36 PM »

Some pretty nice photos guys!

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 01:33:59 PM »

I voted for Renton and Chrissketch. Lovely colours and composition, both.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »

My favorite is toastie's. Smiley
Chrissketch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 03:37:13 PM »

Jackson and Brog are my votes. Thanks to those who voted for me.
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:28:29 PM »

Renton, Bennet and Brog...
But only two votes...  Cry

Shrug
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 09:26:17 AM »

Yummm bennett and smn (:

Also guys don't vote for mine, it's an atmospheric place, but the photo is srsly not doing it justice at all. : D
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 09:39:56 AM »

smn's was kind of a no-brainer, as it's such a great shot. My second vote went to Jackson, for his grainy-atmospheric night shot. It's inspired me to practice night photography myself!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
medieval
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 10:29:39 AM »

I voted Jackson and Nava. Those two just really stood out to me and looked like I was dreaming.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 07:41:18 AM »

As I think a lot of us suspected, smn won with that excellent night shot, with Jackson and Bennett pulling in for a close second and third, respectively.  Beer!

So smn gets to create the new art and design compo, or he can pass that off to Jackson or Bennett; that random pixel are contest just started too, and given the nature of it, we probably could call that the next art and design compo too.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »

I ended up voting for smn and Renton. Special cheers for smn's well deserved victory Beer!

And holy shit someone actually voted in me, thank you mysterious secret admirer, I will never forget thee
smn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 02:21:15 AM »

So smn gets to create the new art and design compo, or he can pass that off to Jackson or Bennett; that random pixel are contest just started too, and given the nature of it, we probably could call that the next art and design compo too.

First of all, I am very honored to have won, this has given me much confidence that I have done the right thing buying that DSLR. Smiley Kiss

Also, I am already twisting my brain to figure out a new awesome compo, which I shall announce after the random pixel one is over (whenever that will be... :D)

Cheers
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 06:33:19 PM »

i have a question when we start the poll for the next one, can we post all the pictures into the first post that way someone can look at all the pictures side by side. it would just be easier.

also I will definitely try and get in on the next one.

TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »

Thankyou, whoever voted for mine!  Kiss

(it totally wasnt me ok no really Beg )
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic