Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 03:50:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWebsite for each game vs One website for all games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Website for each game vs One website for all games  (Read 1136 times)
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« on: November 26, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »

I wonder, which to choose. Make one "company" website for all the games I make or make separate websites (domains) for every game?

I'm not sure how to bite it, I have seen people using both methods. What are pros and cons of each?

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 04:47:07 AM »

If they see you have a roster under your wings, it looks more impressive. That's what I think at least. But make each individual page for each game very alone.... By that, I mean don't have a store constantly jutting out on the side or anything.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »

I think it depends. You may wish just to list your games and briefly describe them and in that case, you should just have a whole page on your company site for that.

You should have separate pages for each game on your company site if you are going to describe and pitch your game and have screenshots and videos and such.

If you're really into the online content and have extra promotional materials for your games like Flash apps or wikis or interactive features, then you should have a separate website that links back to your company site.

In the last case, I personally find it sort of neat if each game's website is designed to match its game's theme, but still looks structurally similar to the company's and the rest of its game's sites. But that is probably just me.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 07:32:30 PM »

One website for all games.
Each game has its own domain name that go to page of appropriate game.
The more unique the game, the more attention it gets for itself. e.g. if you make a lot of dungeon crawlers, group them separately than your adult game.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »

Personally I would do both, and like Muz said, just have mygame.com alias to mystudio.com/mygame. I've got moonman.io and will eventually set up eigenmode.net/moonman and redesign moonman's site so it fits in with the more minimal eigenmode site design. But if you can't afford the extra domain names, just having them all under one site is cool too.

Aaron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 10:43:25 PM »

I'd think having them all under one roof with be nice so if someone likes a particular game they can easily see the other games you've made.
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 05:06:51 AM »

Personally I would do both, and like Muz said, just have mygame.com alias to mystudio.com/mygame. I've got moonman.io and will eventually set up eigenmode.net/moonman and redesign moonman's site so it fits in with the more minimal eigenmode site design. But if you can't afford the extra domain names, just having them all under one site is cool too.
moonman.io is PageRank 3, eigenmode.net is PageRank 0. Effectively, you have only one website, the second is ignored and devoid of traffic. That's what I'm kind of afraid of... You need to choose one, because with two or more you are just splitting your traffic.

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »

Oh I see, thats a good point, so I'll keep moonman.io as the official page, and just have eigenmode.net/moonman be a short description and link to the official page. I also have bp.io which has page rank 4, which will contain moonman keywords as I blog about it. So yeah, I'm not really sure why having multiple sites would be a negative thing, if they each have their distinct purposes (personal, company, and game site).

getluky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »

I spent a long time thinking about this, too. I ended up hosting my game's site separately from my "main" site so that I could create a high-speed, static landing page (beastboxing.com). Then I have my old development URL (goodhustle.com/games/beastboxingturbo/) forward to the new landing page. It seems to work pretty well, and I have Google Analytics set up with cross-domain tracking so can I get traffic for both sites in the same profile.

I'm hopeful that it eliminates confusion for people looking specifically for my game, and also leaves my main site available as more of a blog/forum/directory. Unknown Worlds did something similar for NS2 vs. their main site. However, some developers just totally focus on one game, and so host everything under the game domain like grimrock.net. Hope that helps!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic