Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 09:14:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessArt Asset Contracting
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Art Asset Contracting  (Read 640 times)
solosnake
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:13:48 AM »

I have reached a point in a personal project where I am considering commissioning some 3D art assets.

What is considered a good ballpark figure for 3D asset work? Does one commission based on complexity, estimated time, or man hours, or agreed price?

What if you are unhappy with the asset?

How do you completely transfer ownership of the asset to the commissioning person (if you create the next Lara Croft the artist may try to assert ownership later if you are not careful).

Thanks.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:01:30 AM »

What is considered a good ballpark figure for 3D asset work? Does one commission based on complexity, estimated time, or man hours, or agreed price?

Depends on the type of work and number of assets.  It's obviously going to be based on complexity as greater complexity == greater time == more money.  In my experience most artists will list an hourly wage, but you can negotiate for some sort of maximum price for an asset.

What if you are unhappy with the asset?
Make sure you won't be.  Make sure that there are milestones (concepting of asset, early builds, etc.) where you can provide feedback.

How do you completely transfer ownership of the asset to the commissioning person.
Typically, these things are a Work For Hire type arrangement, where it is agreed that the person receiving the asset has intellectual control of the asset.  But it is also commonplace that the artist will have the ability to use the work in their portfolio as an example of their work and be recognized as the creator of the work (while still retaining no legal rights to the intellectual property).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic