Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 05:06:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesTerraria: 1.2 ENDGAME EXPLOSION
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Terraria: 1.2 ENDGAME EXPLOSION  (Read 45410 times)
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 01:22:44 AM »

Bought it and have been absolutely hammering it in single player. I absolutely love it. It keeps handing over new bits and bobs often enough to drive you onwards and the core gameplay is very satisfying. I think the main difference between it and Minecraft (or at least what I played of Minecraft several months ago when I bought it) is that it's actually a game, rather than a construction kit of content awaiting some gameplay.

Oh, but yeah: It's pig ugly.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 02:56:59 AM »

To those commenting that it was maybe released a bit too early through Steam: It was. They were supposed to release it in June, but a full leak of the game forced them to push it out earlier.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2011, 03:07:50 AM »

Ah, now that makes sense.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2011, 04:24:17 AM »

Yea graphics don't look the best, considering jamming this tomorrow at a LAN with some friends, anyone had any problems with 4 player multi-player as far as bugs/etc?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2011, 06:37:35 AM »

To those commenting that it was maybe released a bit too early through Steam: It was. They were supposed to release it in June, but a full leak of the game forced them to push it out earlier.
So can we expect constant updates like Minecraft?
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2011, 06:39:21 AM »

Redigit is a much more efficient coder than Notch, IMO.  The first patch was already released yesterday.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »

So can we expect constant updates like Minecraft?

Is that a trick question? Grin

I can only go on what Redigit and Blue have said; that they will continue to support and add new stuff to the game.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Guillaume
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2011, 07:39:25 AM »

I for one think that their decision to make the character 3x2 is terrible.
The blocks are too small, and it makes mass digging a pain.

In Minecraft, your character is 2x1, which means that you can easily dig a straight shaft underground. Much better.

I find digging to be a pain as a result, and it breaks the game for me.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2011, 08:16:44 AM »

I for one think that their decision to make the character 3x2 is terrible.
The blocks are too small, and it makes mass digging a pain.

In Minecraft, your character is 2x1, which means that you can easily dig a straight shaft underground. Much better.

I find digging to be a pain as a result, and it breaks the game for me.
Yeah I noticed that.  I can't imagine how digging and building would be fun here when you have to do more work than in MC.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2011, 08:31:30 AM »

You just went from a volume to a surface, surely you have to do less digging?

Disclaimer: haven't bought the game (yet, still thinking about it).
Dragonmaw
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 09:35:51 AM »

Yea graphics don't look the best, considering jamming this tomorrow at a LAN with some friends, anyone had any problems with 4 player multi-player as far as bugs/etc?

I just played with two other friends, we had an absolute blast. The only errors we came across were minor. Usually latency issues (clipping through enemies at the wrong times, getting stuck inside a sand block, etc). Beyond that, there were no major bugs on our end.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »

WARNING I END UP TALKING ABOUT THE GAME FOR A WHILE PLEASE SKIP IF YOU DON'T CARE

2x1x1 character vs 3x2(x1) character.
For rooms, sure, you have to do less digging -- but if you're just trying to get somewhere? It's annoying.

So far I have not really enjoyed the game. Combat is sort of interesting, but the enemy types are not very variable. I also find they have too much health.

Spelunking rewards you with... I dunno, pots that hold random shit (arrows. yay. coins. woo).

I don't know if I'd call it a minecraft ripoff, but I feel it has no personality of its own. Maybe it has some, but it's mashed in there with all the things that feel incredibly minecrafty.

(i.e. buckets cost 3 iron bars - which you get by crafting iron ore into bars at a furnace. you can use buckets to scoop up 1 block of water at a time, exactly like you would in minecraft)

To finish off, there are a lot of caves that end in dead ends.

1. Caves are way more boring in two dimensions. So much more boring. I can't stress this enough.

1b. Water is also very boring. It flows properly, but it also doesn't really let you swim, and maybe it's the whole 2d thing again. I don't know.

2. I find it more annoying and slow and boring to dig. Discoveries are less exciting than they are in minecraft, maybe because they can be seen from a distance? I don't know.

I DIDN'T FINISH OFF. OKAY.

Everything feels grindier. 1 iron pick = 12 iron bars = 36 iron ore. (in minecraft, for comparison, it's 1 iron pick = 3 iron bars = 3 iron ore.) This may be why these discoveries are less interesting. Find an iron vein? Wow! Now I have a whole single iron bar or two. Maybe in half an hour I'll have an anvil, and then I can actually start using all the iron I just used making the anvil. Oh.

I found a crystal heart, and it gave me +20 max health. And I didn't give a fuck. Seriously, +20 max health is kind of unnoticeable and boring. For a game that many applaud for having tons of content, most of it doesn't really do much but dance with boring numbers (see: every mmorpg ever). The cave felt only marginally more interesting for it. It basically ended in a not-so-dramatic dead end eventually too. Or maybe it didn't end, and I just got bored of pots pots pots in the dark. (The way torches work is interesting to deal with, though. Things even cast shadows! I did enjoy torch juggling while hacking through vines and, eventually, falling into brambles and horribly dying. I'm not saying the game has no value. I just didn't like it overall.)

The game is still somewhat driving, but I think it's just the drive of 'get more stuff and you will get something cool, eventually'. Maybe it's more fun when you get amazing things and discover amazing sights but I don't think I'll bother trying to get that far.

I should try multiplayer, though. I guess. But we'll see;

With friends, everything is fun.

END
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 09:51:55 AM by Droqen » Logged

Anaryu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2011, 09:38:22 AM »

I've poured several hours into this locally with my wife, decided to give it a go because while I love Minecraft, I've honestly run out of things I'm motivated to do. Sandbox is great, but only while playing with the sand by itself remains fun. (Also, $10 for each of us isn't a big investment for us and I like to play a lot of these indie games to get inspiration (see: inspiration, not copy-catting like 1/2 of this game is!))

At first it feels very like Minecraft, to the point where you feel he ripped the basis for the game completely from it. Then you start to hit some of the game's own appeal.

For one, monsters and combat play a much more significant point in this game - there are a lot more monsters and even during the day you are FAR from safe. Unlike Minecraft where your world is basically just the same stuff in new shapes, a lot of Terraria (so far) varies and feels more like a normal 2D platformer (corrupted areas, varying monsters, underground being more like dungeons, fun 2D things like grappling hooks, etc.)

Sadly the things that make it unique need more polish, and even some of the Minecraft-mechanics need to be re-though for this 2D world.

Combat is fun, but takes a lot of getting used to - enemies hurt on touch even when not acting, the hit-box on your character feels like it's too big so melee is a little hard to get used to, your hit-stun is short enough that monsters can trap you in a corner pretty easily. Also the monster spawn rate seems REALLY high - to the point where even killing them in 1-2 quick ranged hits you won't have enough time to cut down the trees to gather wood, or you can't mine and keep ahead of the spawning spam underground. (To be fair, there's a pretty good balance where the faster spawns are in areas where there are rare gems/ores, so they should be harder to mine.)

Early monsters are really tough compared to the equipment you start with, and finding the Iron ore you need to really get going is a big hurdle, so the early pacing is pretty bad. Things pick up if you listen to the Guide at the start and get yourself a grappling hook, but the monster that drops the piece you need is pretty deep underground and extremely tough for early-game equipment.

Mining itself is hard because you're hitting such a small grid, your character needs to cut three blocks that can take a while to match their own height, the added block is a pain, and it's not as natural using the mouse in 2D. (This could easily be fixed by having the right-click function which isn't use on mining tools do an 'area' hit to cut back on the tedium and mining pace.)

Despite it's flaws (and what it lifted from Minecraft to ensure it's attention/success,) it's an okay game that is probably successful half because it's borrowing fame from Minecraft, and half because it's got the content and direction that Minecraft players have been hungering for.
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2011, 09:40:54 AM »

You would think.
Both games have you dig out and place blocks one at a time.
Now, say you want to build a small room in a mountainside thats 3 player widths by 1.5 player heights tall, like in MC.

In MC, since a block is the players width and half their height, thats 3x3x3; 27 blocks.
In terraria a block is half a player width and a fourth their height, that's 6x6; 36 blocks.  But you're not done when you dig that out; you need to fill in the walls to keep monsters out, so you have to fill in the 36 blocks you took out with "walls".

Holy shit it actually takes way more clicks to build a 2d room in terraria than a 3d room in MC, how the fuck did they do that?!  Waaagh!

It's probably way better now that the player is 2x3 tiles big now, though.

Edit:
whoa someone beat me to it!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 09:56:37 AM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »

More than crafting, minecraft found a working model for smog (small multiplayer online game) with persistent world.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »

smog (small multiplayer online game)
awesome  Cheesy

I think I might use that term from on.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2011, 02:14:29 PM »

I love smog.

Us gamers need more smog in our lives.

Cheesy
Imagine the controversies.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2011, 02:17:31 PM »

SMOG: You heard it here first!
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2011, 02:20:52 PM »

Well, I'll be damned.  Looks like the devs have been invited down to Valve HQ for some kind of meeting or something.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2011, 02:28:05 PM »

I wonder if it'd lead to an acquisition and expansion a la Portal. That would be pretty interesting, wouldn't it?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic