Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 07:37:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2330899 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: March 07, 2012, 02:33:39 AM »

Their criticisms of "Japanese" games are pretty bizarre because all of them apply to modern "Western" gams just as much, if not moreso. I agree with Blow on the "overpolish" thing (already discussed in the Design subforum not too long ago) but it's kinda surprising coming from the guy who made Braid, a series of single-solution puzzles with no room for any sort of experimentation but w/e.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #10301 on: March 07, 2012, 03:44:29 AM »

I'm gonna post this here in the hopes someone watches it, if you haven't already!

You could even consider sharing this video with others if you feel inclined to after viewing it.  Smiley

(no embedded video function? kk)

Oh look, a person and a conflict I've known about since I was in middle school. BTW, Invisible Children has a lot of logistics problems, you should donate to Amnesty International instead.

I like how nobody cares about human rights atrocities until a documentary/award-winning drama is made. THEN people care.

I'm a fucking geopolitical hipster oh god
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: March 07, 2012, 03:56:26 AM »

I like how nobody cares about human rights atrocities until a documentary/award-winning drama is made. THEN people care.
maybe because they didn't know about them before?
ink.inc
« Reply #10303 on: March 07, 2012, 04:09:50 AM »

yeah i think thats a pretty legitimate reason
keo
« Reply #10304 on: March 07, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »

h.r. 347
rdein
« Reply #10305 on: March 07, 2012, 07:52:28 AM »

I'm gonna post this here in the hopes someone watches it, if you haven't already!

You could even consider sharing this video with others if you feel inclined to after viewing it.  Smiley

(no embedded video function? kk)

are you familar with http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10306 on: March 07, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »

the people i talked with from invisible children did seem a little...
like...
hipsters. interesting.
that kind of really bums me out.

EDIT: After watching the film, eff what I said before. Who cares? They actually got the governments attention and are getting peoples attention and ... eff my stupid cynicism.

This is stuff that matters. Quit being counter culture inclined prats and care enough to set aside your better-than-thou attitude.
Adding yourself to a rank can be hard for some people because they want to be an individual, and are worried their somehow losing their individuality when joining something big.

That's just insecurity, and it's different than not joining something because you're morally inclined to disagree.

I'm not saying anyone that opposes is guilty of that.

I'm just clearing that up if it's the case for anyone.

If you actually think that Kony needs to be stopped, join the rest of the people that think that too.
Stop fricking subdividing yourselves.

Also,

Considering the charity posts revenue at around $13,000,000 annually (based on their 2011 numbers), assets of about $1,000,000 dollars and executive salaries totalling $300,000 doesn't really seem that out of line.

Also, the tech equipment makes sense, given their awareness campaigns being almost totally based in digital media and film.

Running a charity at an overhead of around 10% of revenue isn't really that unreasonable. Rates of 10-30% are actually pretty typical.

-m

Also, we're frickin creative people. If you still are all for kony being stopped then do something about it. Don't just diss the efforts of others and then go back to eating cheetos and playing banjo kazooie.

You're capable of making it even bigger outside of invisible children. Make your own posters. Heck, make a game. Do something.

I think of invisible children only as a hub that has off-shooting spokes.
You can be yourself and still do something important if that's how you roll.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:17:55 AM by peanutbuttershoes » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #10307 on: March 07, 2012, 11:36:30 AM »

maybe because they didn't know about them before?

It's not like the LRA is a particularly unknown group. I've known about them for like 5 years now, and that's because I was reading about conflicts in Africa (the Congo split, Somalian warlords, etc). I dunno, I guess I'm a bit frustrated with the lack of awareness until some stirring speech or documentary is made. It feels so... shallow. Read some newspapers! Get involved in geopolitics! Live outside your country's borders. Can you even name half the countries of Africa?

And like I said before, Invisible Children is not a trustworthy charity to donate to. The Daily What did a pretty good deconstruction of why you shouldn't donate to IC, and instead to some other charity.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:43:12 AM by Dragonmaw » Logged
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10308 on: March 07, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »

ok. so don't donate to invisible children.

Quote from: daily what
Want to help? Really want to help? Send your money to nonprofits that are putting more than 31% toward rebuilding the region’s medical and educational infrastructure, so that former child soldiers have something worth coming home to.

why would you donate to build them a house if there's a dude out who's mission is to steal them out of it?

I guess that's a little unfair. both have their place.
but what good is one without the other?

Protect and Restore.
Bandages
« Reply #10309 on: March 07, 2012, 11:59:57 AM »

yale

heheh
Dragonmaw
« Reply #10310 on: March 07, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »

Invisible Children is giving money to prop up Uganda's aging and just as bad military dictatorship. So...
Thewaether
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10311 on: March 07, 2012, 12:17:28 PM »

I must say it did look like propaganda, I bounced it anyway and now I feel like a complete tool. That's the power of social media, I guess
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: March 07, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »

No! Not here too!
Thewaether
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10313 on: March 07, 2012, 03:48:40 PM »

There there, it'll all have gone by tomorrow.
AshfordPride
« Reply #10314 on: March 07, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »

From the folks who made Heavy Rain, here comes

Pretty neat.  I like how she suddenly morphs to uncanny valley Heavy Rain mode once she gets skin, they still can't make their people look like these weird Spirits Within folk.  Pretty nice tech demo, few hiccups though.  Each language clearly had a separate voice actor, but if the Japanese voice was a Vocaloid like it sounds that was a very nice touch! And why would a service robot be equipped to cry with real tears?  That's exactly what I want from my sexbot, the ability to cry.

Well...  Actually...

: /
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:30:58 PM by Samtagonist » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #10315 on: March 07, 2012, 05:29:35 PM »

That's really cool!
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10316 on: March 07, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »

Doesn't her being in the uncanny valley make perfect sense?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: March 07, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »

Really cool tech demo. Unfortunately if they make this an actual game there will probably be segments where I have to brush my robot teeth with a robot toothbrush morphing out of my arm (actually that could be really cool visually and not annoying if done once, nvm.)

Doesn't her being in the uncanny valley make perfect sense?

Yeah, I actually thought that was a pretty clever handling of that issue. It might not be so great if they try to introduce actual humans though.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Dragonmaw
« Reply #10318 on: March 07, 2012, 05:38:24 PM »

fill me with your robot juices~
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: March 07, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »

Pretty nice tech demo, few hiccups though.  Each language clearly had a separate voice actor, but if the Japanese voice was a Vocaloid like it sounds that was a very nice touch
also the german voice had an accent  Outraged

btw: could they have at least picked a less tired sci-fi cliche than the "robots with feelings" thing? considering this is quantic dream the game probably wont have a lot of interesting gameplay so they could at least try showing some originality with their story premise.
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic