Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 01:51:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRunMan: Race Around the World (v 1.2 Dec 10)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: RunMan: Race Around the World (v 1.2 Dec 10)  (Read 46113 times)
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2009, 12:58:20 PM »

I donated even before I downloaded, and you know, I kinda don't feel like I got my money's worth. Oh, I don't feel bad at all supporting your hard work, I'm just not enjoying the game very much. Maybe it's not my sort of thing.

OR, maybe by paying for the game I changed my expectation for it? I don't know. It's an interesting question that bears consideration. Maybe since it's not a free game (to me) I had different expectations for it. Strange.

I definitely feel right now when I play it that I'm playing it because I paid for it, not because I like it. Heaven's knows this wouldn't be the first time I've done that.

I'm guessing you've done better with your donations than I have.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2009, 01:09:27 PM »

you shouldn't really think of the donation as 'in exchange' for the game, though -- a donation is a gift, not a trade. so there's no money's worth to get back. it's kind of grouchy to complain over a gift, it comes off like saying "i gave my daughter 2$ for her tooth under her pillow, and i don't think i got my money's worth in her behavior!"

fog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »

This runs perfect on the little eeePC.  Perfect when you're out and about and have a few minutes spare (by that I mean perfect when you really should be working).

Any plans to streamline the ghost file handling?  It all feels a bit clunky when everything else is so beautifully coherent.
Hubol
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2009, 11:52:51 AM »

Did anyone else besides me 100% this yet?
Curseman
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2009, 12:10:52 AM »

Did anyone else besides me 100% this yet?

Someone in the other thread in announcements mentioned having done it.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »

you shouldn't really think of the donation as 'in exchange' for the game, though -- a donation is a gift, not a trade. so there's no money's worth to get back. it's kind of grouchy to complain over a gift, it comes off like saying "i gave my daughter 2$ for her tooth under her pillow, and i don't think i got my money's worth in her behavior!"
That's a good point. My judgment on the matter, I suppose, was mired by the fact that I don't consider the price I pay for a commercial game a gift. I consider that an exchange for a product. And I expect that I'm going to like that product. And if I don't I feel gypped. I guess I was translating that experience to this, which as you point out is wrong.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2009, 02:53:02 PM »

Yo duders, we're working on a little update to hopefully fix a couple issues and get the game nice and ready for the IGF.

This is what's going in. If you know of something else that needs to be fixed, post here and let us know.

• Times are now tracked with frame time rather than real time
  • The game is now using a different music system (SXMS instead of BGM) in an effort to improve compatibility and performance
  • You are no longer on the clock while reading a sign or while paused
  • Altered the level architecture of 1-4 to prevent an infinite wallkick bug
  • Reduced the amount of particles generated at max momentum because it seemed to be crashing for some people
  • Altered the level architecture of 5-3 to prevent a bug with the hangglider
  • Fixed a bug that prevented a proper ending when beating the last boss for the first time with 108 medals.

TheDustin
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2009, 08:34:56 PM »

I've played the hell out of it and can't find any problems. The one major problem that I've heard from people was the frame time issue, but you already have that fixed. Preemptive best of luck at IGF!  Coffee
Andrew Brophy
Level 2

can't be hip forever

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »

I played this a while back. I haven't finished it yet, but I really like it.  Smiley

tim_the_tam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2009, 09:56:34 PM »

hey tom while your fixing the game can you please fix the scoring system. the 500, 750, 1000 system doesn't work on most levels as they are either too easy to get or too hard. its the only complaint that i have with the game.

btw i wrote a review on my blog

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2009, 10:40:37 PM »

The score goals are the same for every stage to simplify things for the player, so that they know how close/far they were from earning medals.

However, you gain points at a different rate in each level, and the multipliers which determine the rate at which you gain points in each level were carefully balanced.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2009, 06:00:49 AM »

Donated and downloading. Looks great, kudos to you.

pogo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2009, 08:30:36 AM »

Are previous save files compatable with the new version?
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2009, 06:06:29 PM »

Are previous save files compatable with the new version?

Yep.

The new version is now available!

deathtotheweird
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2009, 07:34:35 PM »

doesn't work for me, I get this error:

Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object sxms:

Error defining an external function.
Eraser
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2009, 07:36:57 PM »

doesn't work for me, I get this error:

Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object sxms:

Error defining an external function.

Did you copy the DLLs when extracting / moving the game?

Also: the music lags horrendously for me with this new version :/ Worked fine previously. (Vista, 32bit 3ghz single core, 2gb ram, no other programs running.)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2009, 07:45:41 PM »

Of course I did.

I just ran it in Vista compatibility mode and it worked. Very odd. But ok.
pogo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2009, 07:32:05 AM »

Umm... wow the new version of the game made it somewhat easier for me... I had been stuck with only 102 medals but I got the last 6 with little trouble.
I admit... I lol'd a lot at the last cut scene.  :D
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2009, 07:57:02 AM »

Also: the music lags horrendously for me with this new version :/ Worked fine previously. (Vista, 32bit 3ghz single core, 2gb ram, no other programs running.)

What do you mean by lags? It takes longer to load up each song?

Umm... wow the new version of the game made it somewhat easier for me... I had been stuck with only 102 medals but I got the last 6 with little trouble.

This is probably due to the switch to frame time. Before, slight dips in the framerate could make it difficult or impossible for some people to get certain medals.

Eraser
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2009, 02:26:11 PM »

What do you mean by lags? It takes longer to load up each song?

This is probably due to the switch to frame time. Before, slight dips in the framerate could make it difficult or impossible for some people to get certain medals.

By lags, I mean the music tries to play, but skips, repeats sections of the song, or plays the entire song very slowly. It really is an odd problem O.o.

If more people report problems with the new sound system, I think including both sound systems and allowing the one used to be chosen by the player. Think that oughta cover it (but require more work from you :/).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic