Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 09:17:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesProper Night Game Trailer - Actually Awesome!!!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Proper Night Game Trailer - Actually Awesome!!!  (Read 3826 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:53:39 PM »

So they've released a real Night Game trailer now (not like that crappy one before), and holy shit guys, it looks amazing.  Smiley

Basically, Knytt Stories + Within a Deep Forest.  It really does seem like a sequel to WaDF, and I mean that in the best possible way.  Smiley

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14320530/night-game/videos/nightgame_gmp_040609.html
Renton
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:06:26 PM »

The previous trailer had left me saying "meh". But now I wish it wasn't Wii exclusive.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:15:31 AM »

This trailer has definitely made me glad to own a Wii.  Smiley

But realistically, a PC release may very well happen in the long term, though we don't know the contract details so maybe not.  I don't have an Xbox, and am quite happy that Braid is FINALLY coming out on PC this week.  And I'm definitely worried about the possible exclusivity of Fez, but maybe that's just karma: some of you get Fez and I get Night Game...who knows.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:16:52 AM »

Braid is coming out today, even.

But yeah, I told you it was awesome!

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 04:14:53 AM »

It looks kind of boring, another physics-based gimmick game. Reminds me of Gish in many ways... it seems you can change the physical properties of the ball in a few ways, etc. only instead of a ball of goo, it's a ball of... glass, or something.

That's not to say it's going to be a bad game for sure, but I don't have high expectations at all.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 04:28:12 AM »

I read in the Destructoid preview that you'll be able to change the weight of the ball in three stages (light, normal, heavy), which is going to be the core of the gameplay.

Looks fun. Are we still worried about control over game design?  Roll Eyes
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 07:12:04 AM »

The trailer does look better. I liked the little towns and the rocket. The environments still feel a bit depersonalized though -- maybe it's just nostalgia, but the environments in WaDF were more interesting for me to look at than these ones are (except for the town/rocket ones). I feel like the emphasis has changed from atmosphere to physics puzzles.

Physics puzzles are interesting and nice, I enjoy physics based games, but they're just mental challenges, they don't immerse you into the game experience the way environments do. The game still looks more atmospherically interesting than 95% of games of course, just that it seems less of a focus than in his previous games, i.e. it feels as if most of his work went into designing the puzzles rather than designing the atmosphere / little touches which made his previous games so notable.

undertech
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:59:36 AM »

I hope the trailer music is indicative of the actual game music. It's really nice.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 01:32:43 PM »

The trailer does look better. I liked the little towns and the rocket. The environments still feel a bit depersonalized though -- maybe it's just nostalgia, but the environments in WaDF were more interesting for me to look at than these ones are (except for the town/rocket ones). I feel like the emphasis has changed from atmosphere to physics puzzles.

Physics puzzles are interesting and nice, I enjoy physics based games, but they're just mental challenges, they don't immerse you into the game experience the way environments do. The game still looks more atmospherically interesting than 95% of games of course, just that it seems less of a focus than in his previous games, i.e. it feels as if most of his work went into designing the puzzles rather than designing the atmosphere / little touches which made his previous games so notable.
I kinda know what you mean.  I think a lot of that is because of the silhouette style actually; if this had been WaDF in Nifflas' more advanced graphical style, the atmosphere would probably be stronger.  I think the one problem for me with WaDF (and it's not really a problem) is that I played it after Knytt Stories, so I wasn't able to appreciate the atmosphere as much as maybe I would have if it was the first Nifflas game I had played.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 06:02:14 PM »

Hm. The video is not working for me, for some reason.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 04:54:40 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's the music. When you have few/no sound effects in a game, the music tends to get detached. For some reason, it's just hard to connect the ambient music to the ambient gameplay. I think that's because sound effects are what tie the music and gameplay together (even though the sound effects usually follow their own tempo), and without them, it becomes a separated experience. And one of the primary goals for a game like this is to immerse yourself.
AlexWeldon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 05:11:18 AM »

It looks like a much, much easier version of xMoto... but with more stylish graphics.

Games, Puzzles and Game Design Blog: http://www.benefactum.ca
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »

It looks kind of boring, another physics-based gimmick game.

This.

I watch that trailer and I get the impression that the game consists entirely of rolling a ball through a physics playground. Am I supposed to be wowed by a realistically animated chain? In 2009?

And I'm not impressed by the "hey look some inexplicable curly branches coming out of the earth just like in the Nightmare Before Christmas" visuals.

But these are just impressions. I await the actual game to prove me wrong.

AlexWeldon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 05:07:42 PM »

Well, a lot of games, books, movies, etc. just take a bunch of things that are independently pretty cool, but not original, throw them together, and manage not to suck simply by virtue of being competently executed. I don't see anything in the video to suggest that this game will revolutionize the industry by any means, but it may manage to be fun.

Games, Puzzles and Game Design Blog: http://www.benefactum.ca
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 05:13:45 PM »

The problem is that it's two directional buttons. It could be the most ridiculously innovative game in the universe, and it still wouldn't be fun for that long.

Even with density changing.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 05:40:24 PM »

Well, it certainly looks very interesting.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Fuzz
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »

Looks pretty atmospheric to me. Shrug
Therum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »

You guys have to remember - this is Nifflas we're talking about. Nifflas hasn't made a bad game since WaDF - and when he thinks a game is going to be bad, he scraps it (see: WaDF2). I'll admit - I haven't watched the trailer - but I have faith that he'll be able to pull this off.

And hell, even if Night Game turns out to suck, he's got another PC game in the works, too.
J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »

Actually? What do you mean by "actually"? OF COURSE THIS GOING TO BE AWESOME!

The artist formally known as "Javet."
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »

Is Nifflas still making this in MMF2? Is Nicalis then manually porting all his MMF2 work to C++, or did they actually write some sort of MMF2 interpreter to run the game?

I have to say though, that the whole silhouette look is getting kind of grating. It is coming off less as a style and more as a crutch for devs doing higher resolution projects.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic