Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411603 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 12:39:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMetal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain  (Read 29000 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2015, 03:54:50 PM »

oh i see

i meant more specifically using spinoffs to test and refine ideas then incorporating those ideas into "main series" games.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »

BTW fulton is typically the kind of thing western dev can't do and yet is massively fun

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »

glorious nippon
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »

real biggest flaw with this gam: you cant fulton hedgehogs. you just like, collect them.

otoh the thought of big boss running/sneaking around with pockets full of hedgehogs is nice
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »

get the water pistol asap Who, Me?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2015, 01:41:04 PM »

d-dog is cute but he sniffs out way 2many enemies. takes away some of the fun of observing ur surroundings before u act.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2015, 01:54:05 PM »

you need to build affinity too

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2015, 02:34:36 PM »

The ps3 and x360 version looks like nes game, really show you how much a leap this generation brought and how diminishing return was always bullshit

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2015, 03:18:33 PM »

The ps3 and x360 version looks like nes game, really show you how much a leap this generation brought and how diminishing return was always bullshit

oh you  Wink

the graphics in this gam are odd (I'm on PS4 but played ground zeroes on pc, for reference)

they needed to balance out last gen and current gen (and pc of course) hardware demands, so it ends up not looking as quite as NEXTGENSOREAL as trailers and etc would have u believe but not really last gen either. either way it seems to be blessed with an extremely solid engine bc performance appears to be amazing on all platforms. ground zeroes on pc was one of the best optimized AAA pc games in recent memory, i was hugely surprised that it ran at max settings w/o any hiccups on my laptop.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2015, 03:31:02 PM »

It's a old gen game at heart, ported to next gen, so it only have the merits of solid art direction (mostly composition over number of DIFFERENT objects) and higher texture rez and shader precision.

MGS game have always been example of such artistry. For example they have better visual hierarchy that most game, look at the shoulder, they are straighter than most modern game, but ramp up the polycount and texture count on the face. Similarly they spend polycount on things that prime the audience in thinking it has higher quality overall, like the cigar (round thus hi poly). Even the clothes use a trick that date back to ps2 days instead of using expensive clothes simulation like modern western game, and it works better because it contribute to the overall atmosphere and you don't notice if aren't looking for it, while even game like uncharted have very solid clothes that looks like plastic. Western artist tend to be much more details in a uniform ways, there was a thread on polycount that compared shoulder of western game vs japan game and western where just technically better ... but at the same time the eyes isn't drawn to that area very much, especially with layer of clothes.

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2015, 08:14:37 PM »

Is MGS5 really a game?

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2015, 08:50:20 PM »

Troll AI Sim 2015.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 07, 2015, 06:03:49 PM »

this gam makes me happy

that is to say, it is very good and it deserves a better thread than this
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2015, 08:22:37 AM »

it's because it is animal crossing
http://www.gamesradar.com/metal-gear-solid-v-bizarro-world-animal-crossing-game/

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2015, 08:31:45 AM »

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2015, 08:36:35 AM »

http://www.nodontdie.com/shy-mintz/

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2015, 10:55:35 AM »

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/8/9275393/metal-gear-woman-lead-character-secret?utm_campaign=polygon&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2015, 11:03:43 AM »

unforunately the characters other than snake all look like dweebs thanks to facegen (imo).
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2015, 11:03:54 AM »

I picked up Rising last week. It was on sale for 2,99€.
I couldn't resist and honestly I'm looking forward to playing it b/c I liked the demo.

Also: Silbereisen is hyping me with his praise for MGS V. The urge to play that game grows with every post he makes.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2015, 11:28:52 AM »

idk i don't want to overhype it. it just really strikes a nerve. it has everything i like about gams: intricate mechanics, level design with a good amount of verticality, meaningful and "emergent" nonlinearity (as in you get to choose how to approach missions), a shitton of customization and upgrades, a story that explores interesting themes and is not too heavy on exposition (unlike past metal gears) etc.

it even has idle game elements and uses them well. also it has to be said again, fultons are just fun as heck. the game also just has a ton of *charm* (as metal gear games do). also the soundtrack which consists of a bunch of 80s pop classics and pastiches of 80s pop classics is rather neat.

ever since the first assassins creed came out ive been thinking about how awesome it would be if a game existed that actually delivered on the promises they made prior to release. mgs5 is not quite that game (it lacks the "social stealth" aspects of asscreed), but it's probably my favorite open world stealth game so far.

to balance out all the gushing, negatives are:

• slightly finicky controls (particularly with the "sticky" cover mechanics
  • base management could be more "challenging" (its almost impossible to run out of money after a certain period)
  • sorry, but quiet is just an irredeemably shit character
  • checkpoint placement can be a little odd
  • the game is rather slow paced, story takes a long time to "get going"
  • graphics are good but a slightly mixed bag: the vegetation in africa doesn't look that great imo. also face animation is worse than what i expected.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic