Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411546 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 05:27:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGo Go Kudamono!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Go Go Kudamono!  (Read 24317 times)
snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 09:23:50 AM »

Thank you so much! I'll be working on new fruit / veggie team mates soon as well, so hopefully the planting system will get even cooler :D

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 10:42:07 AM »

I love your kudamonos and animations! I wish there were a little more hard outlines on them, but that's just a personal style thing I guess. Anyway, great work!  Hand Clap

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »

Tomato Seed:

In days gone by I would sift the soil betwixt my fingers, grabbing at it in great fistfuls, to assess its cropping potential as each wondrous particle collapsed back to the mother, our Earth. You, tomato seed, encompass all of our hopes. You alone must seek always to strive, to dream, to never stop reaching for the goals your forebears claimed impossible. You have within you the greatest of potential, the capacity to truly be the best of us, to be tomato. I give you life, my tomato son, so that I may give mine too in service of each father's solemn dream: to see the development of this beatific, wondrous life, so fragile and embryonic, but bursting with a latent gift so great that some day you shall surpass the father. Robust, tangy flavour. I love you, tomato.

---

My tomato seed
Turgid with hope and promise
Sprout from Earth, and be

Health Juice:

The label reads "Guaranteed 5 cold pressed healthy volunteers in each bottle just kidding". Seems unreasonable at first, but think about it. This is a bitter truth we push deep within, but are forced in waking life to confront. Consider that which gives life, consider that which sustains, consider your recommended daily intake... What single food may provide for all eventualities. The answer is that which brings forth a violent nature you deny: other people are a superfood. Good for what ails you. It is always the same.

---

Fresh, but pasteurised
Health and convenience both
Wishing you long life

Health Seed:

The infirmities thrust upon you may be your downfall, you may become afflicted in the autumn of your days by sarcopenia, and melt into nonexistence. A limbo of your own design! But this is not an immutable process. Resist with every fibre of your being, take back that which was lost through the abrasive spectacle of a life long-lived! This is it! The miraculous genesis of health!

---

Embryonic joy
Nascent, wondrous, and waiting
Plant with great relish
snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2017, 11:08:52 AM »

Haha, those poems are incredible! Did you write those?!

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 10:12:40 AM »

Hey y'all!
It's been almost a week since my last post, sorry! The reason for the long silence is that I've been developing art and design for the next level in GO GO Kudamono! Now the design and a good chunk of art is started I think I'm ready to share (^ o ^) Toast Right

The new level will be centered around a frog village on a lake (I haven't decided on a name yet). The frog nation is inspired by feudal japan, so expect to be fighting monks, samurai and ninja frogs later on in the level, as well as exploring some temples.

For now, here's a little gif showin' some of the art and enemies of the new locale:

Design goals:
I'd like each level to stand apart and introduce something new to the player. My over-arching design theme throughout the entire game is to try and constantly surprise the player. This is why ever level is an entirely new locale and there are no recycled enemies. This concept goes for the mechanics and level design as well.

Unlike Barkopolis, this level will have a maze-like structure with dead-ends and multiple paths to the end of the level. Also new to this level is water, which you can fall into if you walk off a ledge. This will function similarly to how Link takes damage from falling into a pit. Another idea I'm playing with is chancing the weather conditions durring the course of the level, having the colors shift as a rainstorm starts.

Thanks for readin' and keeping up :D

vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »

The game looks fantastic so far! Pretty, stylish, and looks pretty fun too.

In the frog village gif, though, I think the lemon blends in a little too much against the green. Maybe making the background darker and more blue would help?

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2017, 11:43:31 AM »

Thanks!
The colors are actually pretty different in the real game, for some reason whenever I make gifs/videos, it dramatically alters the colors. In the actual game it's much easier to see him. I'll still keep an eye out for that though!

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 09:58:07 AM »

Just got my water working for the player character! I still haven't decided how to handle team-mates falling in though.

Note: the colors get blown-out durring the gif-making process, so it's kinda hard to see. Does anyone know a good gif software that won't hurt my colors?

vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 10:47:44 AM »

I use LICECap, never noticed any problems with the colors when making gifs.

MaxTexeira
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 10:59:37 AM »

I use camstasia studio 8, no color problems here!

Game looks very prommising! It is a lot of fun :D

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 12:10:55 PM »

Planks!

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 12:15:02 PM »

Thanks guys, ill give those programs a shot next time!

Pawl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2017, 10:56:50 AM »

I've used Gifcam and Webmcam, but both are pretty quirky. Never found a great gif making software...

The game is looking great though! The little polish elements shine through well (love the bouncing logs).

Claude Ruelle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2017, 01:23:58 PM »

Wow this game looks awesome! I wanna play it now!

It seems like the gifs add a lot of contrast to the colors though...

How many levels are you planning on doing?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:34:49 PM by Claude_Ruelle » Logged

Composer of Relaxing Life Sim Music.

www.clauderuelle.co.uk
snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »

Hey thanks!

I'm not really sure about the number of levels yet. As I'm still putting together some ideas. I have plans for a bunch of areas, but I'm not really sure yet how long it'll end up. One thing that's important to me on the design side is to keep the player feeling surprised, so I'm not going to be repeating content like environments or enemies (for the most part) across the levels. This means that the game will probably end up on the shorter side, close to the length of your average 90's arcade game.

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2017, 05:50:06 PM »

Hey folks, it's been a bit! I'm back from vacation, and am back on the job.

The water level is coming along really well so I though I'd start off by posting a new little video showing off the very beginning moments of the level.
This level is different in several ways from Barkopolis:
1. It has branching paths that take you past different types of obstacles / hazards.
2. Some of the enemies have have more complex behaviors, creating some more intense one-on-one battles. (you can see one of them in display in the video).

As usual, the colors are a little whacked out from my capture process, so please excuse it if it's a bit hard to read visually!

Another thing you'll notices is that I'm teasing a new team-mate seed at the end of the video. They are actually done already, but I'm going to wait to show em' off till a later post.
Additionally, you'll notice a few updates and cosmetic additions, like dust clouds that appear when you change directions quickly.

Thanks for reading!  Tiger
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:55:20 PM by snackycactus » Logged

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »

Frog Town!

Hey folks, here's a little clip of the frog village area I'm working on that shows off one of the new frog enemy types.

Note: As usual, the colors are all crazy from the GIF-making process.

There's still a lot of design and polish to be done on this area, but it's starting to feel really good!  (*v*)/

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2017, 09:15:50 AM »

Fresh mechanics sound great! I like the big enemy hopping animation

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »

Hey folks, today I'm gonna show off the brand new dialogue system!

I opted to go the more complex route of using spites as letters so I could do fancy tricks like shaking and wavy letters.

Check it out! (yes I know there is a typo in his speech)  Shrug

It's still a little rough around the edges, and is missing a bunch of features I'll need for the final version– (Yes/No questions, item gifting, etc.)
Maybe later I'll do another post to show any changes as I clean it up and add more features. For now though, it feels great to get some conversations in the game!

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2017, 08:27:07 AM »

Dialogue effects (shake, wave, etc) are off to a great start. This level looks like it's coming together nicely - love the new enemy behaviors you've added, too.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic