Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411709 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 04:10:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBoxed Indie Games?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Boxed Indie Games?  (Read 10659 times)
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2008, 01:29:42 AM »

A few months ago I bought a casual hidden-object game as a birthday gift for my sister. She didn't play it until recently (and liked it so much she wanted more), so I forgot about it until now.

When I gave it to her I thought it was sad that it was a burned CD with a serial key attached to it. It didn't feel like a "real" thing. And then it struck me that I've got all these indie games "lying around" in my "download temporary folder" on my computer. Stuff that I've paid for: Pax Galaxia, Chocolate Castle, Fizzball, Galcon, Derelict*, Undercroft, Styrateg, Aquaria, etc... Now I wish that had these as physical objects so I could look at them.

So my question is... Are there any boxed indie games? And I don't mean "backup CD" that you can get for an extra $5 from most e-commerce vendors. I heard World of Goo will be boxed, which is why I haven't bought it online yet. Are there any others?

* Maybe not the best buy in the world, but it's a social commitment to support other indies! Wink

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 02:20:23 AM »

i do too.... the materialism is silly but i cant help but feel it some times i love to have tangeable things... (im secretly hoping cave story wii really takes off so i can buy liscenced plushies im horrible...this is probably the worst idea ever and ill regret it too later but still)

the problem, of course.. is getting funding and production of the actual things... getting it put into the production line i assume is very costly and difficult to do on indie budget.. ):
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 02:29:54 AM »

Now I want a Quote plushie too.

demolam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 02:39:22 AM »

I guess it depends on where you draw the line between indie and ordenary games. Alien Hominid is boxed for PS2 and Xbox, atleast here in sweden (and if it exists in sweden it also does in the US and probobly the rest of the world aswell generally).

Also I guess there are some old indie games that where released in a box, before this thing called internet got big. I now Naugthy Dog released atleast one RPG for the Sega Mega Drive (genesis) back in the days when Naughty Dog was made up by two persons.

"Jag hätär inte Klas-Kent"
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 03:14:43 AM »

In today's modern world users want their products immediately. I have a feeling this is another thing that indie developers feel is important to have a direct download. Also, I want a Curly Brace plush now... Curse you, Annabelle  Cry
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 03:17:54 AM »

Allow your users to burn CDs of your game and provide them with CD artwork to go with it. You could provide users with a .iso of an installation CD along with the raw game installer. You could also offer shipped burned CDs, like MDickie does.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 04:44:51 AM »

I've always been a Box person. More Box-y the better (I'm really rather sad that most games now come in DVD cases, rather than the old Cardboard, Jewel Case/Floppies and Manual).

I bought a physical copy of Darwinia, pre-steam. Shipped it over. Worth the extra mulah, I think. But, uh, Boxes for Boxes sake won't do it for me - I'd like a printed manual, or art cards, or summat.

Also, Cave Story hitting the big time would be joyous. It needs as much distribution and love as possible.
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 04:52:52 AM »

Boxes always do make a game more treasurable. Especially a nice collectible box sahped like the hero or even just the name embossed. I think people go for digital it's easier. For me I only keep the boxes for games I really enjoy. Curly memorabilia underwear here I come!

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
The-Imp
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 05:26:10 AM »

Curly memorabilia underwear here I come!
Well, hello there!

I could imagine Noitu Love 2 being boxed...
 Tears of Joy
And, that is obviously an awesome idea, not for people who love storing crap on their computer though...

Life-sized Curly plushie...
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 05:37:42 AM »

Boxes are nice to have when you're a kid.
But then you move around a lot, live in different countries for a while, and it becomes so much more convenient to just have a portable hard drive with everything on it.  Boxes are just extra clutter at this point.
Maybe there'll be a point when I'm old when I'll be settled in one place again, have my own house, and then I can collect boxes.

But if you really want a box for an indie game, try contacting the developer directly and offering money.  If it was me, I'd be happy to make up a box design, get a few printed, and send one out to you, for a price.  It could be a good way for fans to give extra support to developers while still feeling like their money was spent on something.
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 08:26:26 AM »

Now I want a Quote plushie too.
I think I'd rather have a Balrog plushie.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 08:29:35 AM »

Yeah, I've been thinking about this too.

They should sell Balrog toasters and lunchboxes.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 08:55:25 AM »

Derek and I definitely want to make a really nice, special edition boxed Aquaria package at some point...

I'm going to get in touch with some local companies about doing a soundtrack CD, so maybe I'll learn more about the whole process through that!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »

Ditto Alec, for ID and my other future games. It's something I want to do as well. I've been looking into it a bit and I like the idea of using mini-CDs -- they hold about 200mb or so, and are cheaper in large quantities than normal CDs, and more distinctive.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 12:22:47 PM »

Allow your users to burn CDs of your game and provide them with CD artwork to go with it. You could provide users with a .iso of an installation CD along with the raw game installer. You could also offer shipped burned CDs, like MDickie does.
good idea.
so the price stays the same and there are no additional costs.
(only dvd case + paper + ink)

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 12:35:26 PM »

A few problems with that, though:

- printers don't print on CDs / DVDs as well as professionally printed places do.
- what about the manual? every good physical game needs a good physical manual.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 01:13:41 PM »

A few problems with that, though:

- printers don't print on CDs / DVDs as well as professionally printed places do.
- what about the manual? every good physical game needs a good physical manual.

your right with both points but i think it is a good compromise between nothing and a real boxed thing.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 01:34:58 PM »

Yeah, but I'd still prefer to do the real thing, even just as a limited edition thing. You can get 500 cds/manuals/jewelcases etc. printed for about 2$ each or so.

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »

thats affordable, but the thing is:
these are additional costs for the developer and then in this case with 500 pieces he has to pay 1000$.
therefore it depends on the developer and how big his budget is...

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 01:51:55 PM »

Yeah, which is why I want to wait until I have a lot of extra money before trying that, or a larger audience, because there's no guarantee that all of them would be sold. I'm hoping that after a few more games I'd be able to spare $1000 or so all at once for things like that. Or I could even take out a loan to do that.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic