Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:46:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBoxed Indie Games?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Boxed Indie Games?  (Read 10662 times)
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 02:02:45 PM »

yeah its not meant to be that the developer has to meet expenses.
therefore this step has top be considered wisely.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 09:14:52 PM »

Financial logistics aside, I'm split on this. Digital seems to be the way things are going, and for good reasons. Like has been said, the general trend is towards people moving a lot and not owning their own houses, and this means boxes and the like become extra clutter.

Going digital is also environment-friendly. Smiley

Though, that isn't so much a concern for indies as it is for mass-producing mainstream outfits. I'd love the option to own a classy box & manual etc. for some of my favourite indie games. It would be collectable.

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 03:09:28 AM »

Not exactly boxed (and not exactly the most indie-spirited game either) but I did notice that Pingu Throw flash game series in a 'case', selling for around $10 bucks in my local EB store a couple of years ago.

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 03:28:48 AM »

kinda offtopic but i think a balrog table would be pretty cool. 

Mårten
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 05:44:11 AM »

We've printed up some copies of Puzzlegeddon in DVD boxes and print on the CD (it's not that big...). We haven't really decided what to do with them except sell on expos and such. It costed about $2 for each copy (print, inlay and CD included)

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 05:51:27 AM »

We've printed up some copies of Puzzlegeddon in DVD boxes and print on the CD (it's not that big...). We haven't really decided what to do with them except sell on expos and such. It costed about $2 for each copy (print, inlay and CD included)

Where did you do that? I googled around a little, and the prices I found were around 50 kr per CD if you wanted a small number (less than 100) of copies.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 08:05:28 PM »

I think reading the manual of a game on the way home (assuming you're not driving) is half the fun.

How about a Naija plushie Wink
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 08:33:39 PM »

Where did you do that? I googled around a little, and the prices I found were around 50 kr per CD if you wanted a small number (less than 100) of copies.

It's way more if you only get 100 copies. If you do 500 or 1000 or even 5000, the price goes way down.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 08:44:37 PM »

what is a kr?
And I like boxed games, too. Definitely something I'd desire were it more readily available..

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 08:46:21 PM »

I don't buy games in a box anymore, the only box games I bought this year were: Spore, Sins of a Solar Empire. The latter because I was board at work, and the former because EA's Direct Drive thing is idiotic.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 07:08:17 PM »

Zeta's World has a box image. It's gorgeous.

Since we haven't done a box yet, it's the manual cover.

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 11:37:37 PM »

what is a kr?
And I like boxed games, too. Definitely something I'd desire were it more readily available..

Hey man, it's the swedish krona.
Get on with the times,
like lol.
Cray
Level 0

can't upload an avatar :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 05:30:19 PM »

I like it Zaratustra. Especially the snake & winged arm thing in the back. Smiley

▓█▓ rpg maker vx
▓█▓ cemetery manager
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 06:30:29 AM »

I'm content with not having boxes and CD's for my indie games, since all of them are for the computer. I think the only time I'd really want one is if I was giving it to someone else. If I had any indie console games, it'd be a different matter. I'd probably make my own though, so I could have my own personal collection of Indie Classics.

I do, however, like to make icons for games that don't have custom ones but that doesn't happen too much. The only games I've made icons for are Phyta and Sexy Seaside Beachball. (I wanted to make one for flOw, but it didn't give me the option to change the icon, so I was stuck with the Flash one).
Pencil_In_Pain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 07:38:22 AM »

I like when indie developers include a downloadable CD or DVD cover with their games. I never print them, but I always keep a copy inside the games folder. It's a nice addition.

Also:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:43:08 AM by Pencil_In_Pain » Logged

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 09:53:06 AM »

I like when indie developers include a downloadable CD or DVD cover with their games. I never print them, but I always keep a copy inside the games folder. It's a nice addition.

Also:

thanks for that paper cd case instruction...very useful   Gentleman

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Waltorious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 11:36:28 AM »

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Robot and Starscape by Moonpod have boxed versions, though they are basically just DVD cases rather than full-on boxes.  Also the Sam and Max and Strong Bad games from Telltale Games can be purchased in DVD cases if you buy the whole season (and I think they include some extras too?).  Although I guess one could argue those are not really "indie" developers... but they certainly aren't big game companies.

I miss the big boxes of old too... I've been buying some old games on ebay that I never got a chance to play, and they reminded me how awesome the big boxes can be.  But I also like being able to get indie games as instant downloads, and it definitely saves money and materials.  I think for indie developers, digital versions make the most sense, but maybe if the games are very popular they could offer special collector's editions in boxes, and could include extra stuff like soundtracks and whatnot.  That would be cool.
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 12:37:37 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Robot and Starscape by Moonpod have boxed versions, though they are basically just DVD cases rather than full-on boxes.  Also the Sam and Max and Strong Bad games from Telltale Games can be purchased in DVD cases if you buy the whole season (and I think they include some extras too?).  Although I guess one could argue those are not really "indie" developers... but they certainly aren't big game companies.

Yeah... When I wrote the initial post I wasn't really looking for actual boxes, but rather printed covers or cases (anything physical). Even a simple paper sleeve would be nice. I think I'll use that paper CD case trick and print simple covers for "backup CDs" of some games.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »

I do, however, like to make icons for games that don't have custom ones but that doesn't happen too much. The only games I've made icons for are Phyta and Sexy Seaside Beachball. (I wanted to make one for flOw, but it didn't give me the option to change the icon, so I was stuck with the Flash one).

Yeah I made an icon for N. To make an icon for a flash thingy, create a shortcut to it and change the icon of the shortcut.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 10:21:46 PM »

I bought the Sam & Max one but it's just a box that has the DVD case inside it  Lips Sealed it does have a printed manual thankfully.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic