Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 10:44:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAgatha Ragata
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Agatha Ragata  (Read 3736 times)
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2008, 12:56:02 AM »

As you may (or may not) know, we rushed a game called "Agatha Ragata" during October in order to have something fresh for IGF. I really like the concept of the game, but it's very unlikely that the game will ever be finished.

The game's about this witch, Agatha, who has gone to the witchcraft society's headquarters to settle a quarrel with the society's leaders. The game is intended to be played out like a metroidvania with Megaman-style bosses. The original idea was to make a game about gravity, but we decided to tone down the puzzle elements in order to offer a better flow and story instead.

I wasn't sure if I should post this in "feedback", because there's no official demo to play yet (there are too many work-in-progress parts). I also didn't know if I should post it in "Art & Design", since I'm not an artist (however, I do a lot of game design). I concluded that I would post it here in "Indie Games" and see where it goes Smiley

Anyway, what I wanted to show you was that we've posted the IGF presentation level as a run-through clip on youtube:

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 01:30:25 AM »

It looked really cool. I love the presentation, especially the dialogue and sound effects.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 01:34:33 AM »

"DO NOT ADVERTISE YOUR OWN GAMES IN THIS FORUM" :D

Anyway, I like the storytelling. More indie games should have stories!

The animation style reminds me of Aquaria for some reason.

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:15:12 AM »

"DO NOT ADVERTISE YOUR OWN GAMES IN THIS FORUM" :D

Aww... I just wanted to show the game, but I wasn't sure where to post it  Sad

I think I'm maybe too emo to be an indie developer. It feels like this game would take about 6-8 months to complete, and that's a long time living on spare change... and it me sad in the eyes.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 02:17:17 AM »

"Announcements" would probably work best, if you just want to announce that the game is available and don't want feedback.

If you can't work on it full time, working on it part time here and there could still be done -- even half an hour a week adds up, and it could be done in a few years that way.

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 02:23:39 AM »

But... it's not an announcement... though you're right, it's not really a discussion topic either. I'll leave it to the mods.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 02:26:19 AM »

I think it can stay here.

Anyway, this game is pretty great. Can't wait to get something more playable! Gentleman

Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:34 AM »

Looks cool.

Love the YHTBTR reference  Beer!
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 04:37:25 AM »

Wow what an awesome concept! i wanna play! Grin

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 07:49:53 AM »

The canned laughter's pretty funny, as well as disturbing. They must be some really messed up people to laugh at a fight, and I like messed up people, so it's all good.

Great going so far man. I'd just peck at it bit by bit if I were you; wouldn't want to wear yourself out so that it never gets finished, right? Smiley

Edit: Wait, you're not planning on finishing it? I think that would be a shame, but it's understandable at the same time anyway. It is hard to find time for anything these days, I know, but if you do work at it still bit by bit, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that a lot of people would enjoy this.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:14:42 AM by KniteBlargh » Logged

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 07:59:28 AM »

I really love the audience sound effects; very clever Smiley

Pity you aren't planning to finish it Sad Any chance you'll post a playable demo sometime?

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 08:54:31 AM »

I really love the audience sound effects; very clever Smiley

Pity you aren't planning to finish it Sad Any chance you'll post a playable demo sometime?

Yeah, we'll see... If we do hobbyist development like Rinku suggest (and you and Haowan and others do?), I can't be completely sure which of all our ideas that will get our attention. I find it very difficult to finish hobbyist projects... The dissociative identity disorder that comes with IRC development is tiresome in the long run.

The positive feedback here is helpful though Smiley It was fun to make this demo, because our out-sourced contributors (Dina doing the voices and Samuel Larsson doing the character concepts) seemed really inspired and happy to help out. And in my subjective opinion the game is fun to play, albeit very short!

EDIT: About the demo... if you see me at IRC some day, ask for it Smiley

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 03:59:10 AM »

Great stuff. Really enjoyed the general style. Hope you don't abandon this either. Would be a real shame.

Capten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 07:21:11 AM »

One of the most interesting concepts I've seen in years. Gentleman
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 06:48:06 PM »

First I need to say that I'm not a fan of the experimental concept in games that we see popping everywhere nowadays (bread,LBP,etc...) It's becoming very cliche already (and I've never been a big fan of it for a start) so whenever I see a game which seems to use a physic engine and a gimmick as its main selling point I tend to click away.

That being said I think this is a pretty nice project you've got there and it coud be even better. I like very much the theater ambiance, the audience reaction and the muffled echo on the protagonists voice.   Very nice ambiance.
I'm not as thrilled by the graphics, maybe you have tried to imitate cutout graphics (as if it was in a paperdoll theater) but at the moment it just looks like graphics for a standard video game but not very good ones. Maybe it should be done more like it real painted 2D graphics, maybe it's because there is too much parallax in the background, I don't know but I think the graphics could be improved.
Well done anyways.
 Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 07:43:01 AM »

Not sure I understand what you mean with 'experimental concept' moi. Do you mean any game that tries to push the envelope or games with physics gimmicks?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 09:15:03 AM »

I think it's super neat! I love the audience watching, lol, and the voice acting is good too!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 09:20:55 AM »

Not sure I understand what you mean with 'experimental concept' moi. Do you mean any game that tries to push the envelope or games with physics gimmicks?
It's difficult to explain, one of these games main quality is that they are more effects than content. But anyways, Agatha Ragatha goes beyond that IMO.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 09:59:40 AM »

Haha, yeah you are right moi. This clip is not from a "game", it's from a "concept of a game". There are more unfinished/missing things in this than I can count Smiley

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 07:57:02 AM »

I think this qualifies as an announcement--just not an announcement of a completed game. BTW, this looks really good! One small thing: you should consider turning down the volume on the witch's "jump" sound effects. It gets really annoying after a few minutes.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic