Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 10:38:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNifflas accidentally released the Knytt Stories source
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Nifflas accidentally released the Knytt Stories source  (Read 5312 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2008, 01:20:10 AM »

He accidentally left the .mfa file in the KS 1.2 Beta download, and seems to be taking his mistake in his stride pretty well (probably better than I would had I made a comparable mistake).

It, along with the beta (that now supports custom animated objects), can be downloaded here:
http://nifflas.ni2.se/forum/index.php?topic=7399.0

Niff also created this thread on his forums for any mod related activity, as he's worried about level compatibility getting messed up (eg. levels that work with different modded versions ending up on the same list, leading to confusion):
http://nifflas.ni2.se/forum/index.php?topic=7401.0

Come to think of it, this could be really good for the Knytt Online project and KSDS.  I know in KSDS's case there were some issues with getting the run speed right, and the source should solve any mysteries about it.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 03:04:37 AM »

The source, EH?  I would really like to see how Nifflas makes games in Multimedia Fusion without them getting corrupted  Big Laff
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 04:16:04 AM »

Ouch, that's got to be annoying.

The compatibility thing shouldn't have been an issue if he'd designed his level format with a bit of care. He must have known he'd update it or people would extend it eventually.
increpare
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 04:28:34 AM »

The compatibility thing shouldn't have been an issue if he'd designed his level format with a bit of care.
Hmm?  If people are making serious modifications to the source, added in lots of extra shit, there's not really much one can do beyond *maybe* having a versioning system, and even then *that* relies on other people respecting that system.  Or...am I missing something?  (I've spent some time this morning changin the level format for something I'm working on (boost::serialize made it a delight...), so I'm quite interested).
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 07:20:44 AM »

Yes, well it would rely on other people respecting the system, but yes, versioning is the sort of thing I had in mind. It's not like people are maliciously modding the game, I'm sure they'd respect knytt if he asked them to prepare their mods in a certain way.
Just a list of strings for features required would be enough, the modded game could check that against it's own list. I don't know knytt's file format, but I'm guessing it is not possible to add an extra line to do that without breaking the old levels, or else he would have just declared that so.
You should always consider forward compatibility when designing levels, as it takes so little effort to leave space for extras later. This is why I'm fond of XML for my level files, it's namespace system is designed for people to add their own arbitrary bits onto your own scheme.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 09:05:17 AM »

It's not that I think people would maliciously mod the game, it's just that either people would be:

A. Too lazy to respect a version control system.

B. Too stupid to understand a version control system.

C. So arrogant they think everyone should be using their hacked together, game-breaking features anyway.

D. Some dangerous combination of all three.

Seriously, have you seen developers?

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 09:21:14 AM »

Well, I dunno. It really comes down to the developers opinion to me. Toribash and Dwarf Fortress have both benefited from modding, although both cases are admittedly only specific sections of code that you can mod. Releasing the entire source could be dangerous.

If he wants to avoid it, he could just release the next version with a specific piece that won't run the game if any core variables have been changed.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 09:22:21 AM »

Seriously, have you seen people?
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 09:26:47 PM »

I remember when only specific people had access to the betas. Cry

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 09:49:03 PM »

Did you see what happened with Gang Garrison 2 during the demakes competition? Utter madness.

It's only a matter of time before someone adds guns to Knytt. Sad

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »

1.1 IS THE TRUE VERSION OF KS, FOLKS.
YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

KS attracted a lot of morons to the Nifforums. I don't post there anymore because it was just getting too stupid.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 02:41:30 AM »

What's the difference between 1.2 and earlier versions? Is it worth replaying for the changes?

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 02:51:58 AM »

Oh man, this is kind of awesome.

@doomlaser, mark johns
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 03:09:05 AM »

What's the difference between 1.2 and earlier versions? Is it worth replaying for the changes?
N
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 04:38:08 AM »

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 05:40:12 AM »

Is somebody going to tell us, or are we going to keep quoting this? Durr...?
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 07:54:37 AM »

I don't know.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
medieval
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 11:45:57 AM »

I don't know.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2008, 11:54:29 AM »

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »

I'm pretty sure that it changes nothing about the levels already made, but, rather, incorporates new features to the level editor.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic