Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 06:18:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDON'T GIVE UP: A Cynical Tale, a comedic RPG about personal growth. Out Now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: DON'T GIVE UP: A Cynical Tale, a comedic RPG about personal growth. Out Now!  (Read 23000 times)
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »

Hello Folks!

Today I write this post with a tear in my eye, this is going to be the last DEMO version post on this dev log! I feel like I've conveyed a lot of the mechanics and direction of the game, at this point, all revealing more content would do is spoil the experience and prevent you guys from discovering anything else on your own!

When I do start working on the next notch of the game I will of post small teasers for the same reason above

How far along is the demo?
It can be played from start to finish, so now it's time to polish polish polish. Once I feel it's ready, I'm going to try to get coverage on it before releasing it publicly, which I can hopefully do early November!

So without further ado!
I've been working on NPCs for the major scene of the demo, I'm really excited about these because each NPC will have for the most part a unique interaction. What I mean by that is that you can actually have a one time branching conversation with most of the NPCs instead of generic 1 liners like in many games!

I'm not sure how I plan to execute this but there will be some kind of system where if you're rude to too many people you might eventually get the cold shoulder for the scene's duration. Anyway, meet a portion of the NPCs you'll get to interact with!

Meet some NPCs

Hubert - That guy who totally does not fit the demographic of the event he's at. But a bald head and bad joints won't keep him down, Hubert's not going home alone tonight!

Pinky - Likes going to parties, hates interacting with the people that attend them. Who invited this girl anyway?!

Corey - A suburban rapper on the rise, 3/7 of the families in his cul de sac say "It's not the worst thing they've heard."

Bella - Always on the edge of revolutionary fashion, what Bella lacks in brains... is still to be determined where it supplements elsewhere.

These are just a small fraction of the wonderful folks you'll get to meet (or be ignored by) in the Cynical 7 demo!

Another feature I'm excited to reveal is the new Task UI,the menu for the final game will basically be a smartphone where you can call people you meet, save your game to "cloud", and adjust settings like sounds and text speeds. I was trying to figure out a way to make this all sound less novelty and boring when it came to me- how about an interactive assistant to go with it like the Microsoft Word Paperclip?!

Meet Mochi!

Mochi can remind you what task you're presently on and also smother you with advice and suggestions until you can't breathe! Yay!

Lastly I want to reveal this cute lil car interior I made, I actually enjoyed making this very much and will hopefully get a chance to use a few of them!

And that will do it for this update! Stay tuned for more concept posts and a demo release hopefully in November! Check me out on Social Media in my sig if you'd like to keep tabs or connect!

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 04:29:29 AM »

Cool!

I dig the NPCs unique interation. Just because they're NPCs doesn't mean they need to be bland.

I don't remember if I've already said that, but I loved the brain dialogue !!

My devlog:     My twitter:
Private Party      twitter
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »

Cool!

I dig the NPCs unique interation. Just because they're NPCs doesn't mean they need to be bland.

I don't remember if I've already said that, but I loved the brain dialogue !!

Thanks! Making these was super exhausting, I still want to give them a bit more character but the most important part is that they are unique and feel unique (there are over 20 at the first major event of the game)

The brain dialogue was a HUGE win for getting across the humor for the game and wasn't actually thought up until a few weeks ago, and i'm really lucky the idea came about because the inner monologues were pretty confusing before that point!

Can't wait to finish this bad boy! Very hopeful that the demo will be out before the end of october and it was probably be over an hour in length, ALTHOUGH, i'm thinking about leaving half of it as teasers and having maybe the first 30 minutes or so be playable...

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »

Hello again Folks!

Today, is gonna be a quick update, as the final touches come onto the demo, so do our scenes become a bit cleaner, shiny, and ultimately more interesting!

Text Effects:

The game now has text effects akin to the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney series! Because this game has a substantial amount of dialogue, sounds and effects help color and convey emotions and I think this is one of my favorite parts of the game over all.

Momentum Changes:

The next change was to momentum! Before, a huge line of text slapped across the screen to reflect momentum changes. Now it quickly pops up above Tris and no longer displays after every dodge, on when you connect and deal damage or receive damage!
This is a non invasive way to keep tabs on how you're doing in battle! (Edit: Thinking of keeping the old version seeing them side by side)

Old:

New:

Intro Flavor:

The final change today is the new intro! Although you can't hear it, there's a fun record scratch, and alarmed citizen, and some screen shaking that's been added!

Here's a look at Tris's second skin!

Things have been going well and now the list on Trello is finite and becomes smaller yet!

There's a lot more to expect in the demo, but as promise, you'll just have to see that once it's released! Expect another area, news characters, and new enemies! :D Even after over 2 years from conception to wear I am now I still get excited playing through the demo and I hope you'll share in my enthusiasm!

As always you can show support by following one of my social feeds in my sig! Until next time friends!

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2017, 01:22:33 PM »

Super ultra exciting news! After 2 days of sprints, the demo is basically going to be finished in a day! I might have a local convention to prepare for, so I'll be showing it there and hopefully sending it out the publications and lets players before a general public release, but the public version should be out in less than a month!

Here are the official screenshots I'm going with for now! There is a nice chunk more in the demo than I've showed and again, that's because I want players to have a bit of story to look forward to the first time!

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2017, 11:42:05 AM »

Hi Folks! Some exciting news today! It's DONE. The official trailer for the game is done. I have a few versions, but this will be the main version I go with. It took 4 1/2 days of tweaking to finally get to this sharp minute and a half of gameplay. I hope it's at least somewhat easy to follow! Would love feedback!

Secondary big news,

it was a tough decisions but I decided to go with a Kickstarter this year starting on November 1st and hopefully closing out before people get too tapped out by the holidays! Here's hoping! I have to scramble about getting this demo through all the channels, more detailed update later! :D

Thanks for reading as always!

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2017, 04:07:48 PM »

Greetings Cynical 7 Faithful!

This is it, the time has finally come, after an exhausting push for most of this year, the demo will be made publicly available tomorrow. I really really hope people will find this as charming as I do, I went over the script so many times in order to think about making the experience awesome for the player, I hope it'll be an enjoyable adventure for those of you that try it.

With that out of the way, I'll just dump some randomness out here as one last log before it goes live tomorrow Smiley

Here are some concept sketches for the cover

and another gif!

Thank you to all the people who have complimented the game's progress as well as the shadow lurkers, this is a huge milestone for me Smiley

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2017, 02:03:49 PM »

DRUM ROLL PLEEEEEEEEASE...

THE TIME HAS FINALLY COME! After much toil and extensive polishing, i'm proud to present the first(and probably only) Cynical 7 Demo. The game has about an hour of content (but no save function so beware before starting a play through)

You'll face off against 3 bosses, and experiences a full day in the life of Tris, I won't spoil anything, if you've been following along you'll know to expect lots of humor and some fun fights ahead!

So without further ado I hope you enjoy the demo!

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2017, 02:10:31 PM »

Cool, dude!

I'm downloading it right now! (I don't know if I'll be able to play it though, I'm busy with some stuff until next week)

but I can't wait to play it!

EDIT--------------------

Who was I trying to fool?
I already played it and...

It's great! It's was even better than I expected! (I found some bugs, though)
You guys should try it!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 04:45:35 AM by Stricle » Logged

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2017, 09:52:23 AM »

Cool, dude!

I'm downloading it right now! (I don't know if I'll be able to play it though, I'm busy with some stuff until next week)

but I can't wait to play it!

EDIT--------------------

Who was I trying to fool?
I already played it and...

It's great! It's was even better than I expected! (I found some bugs, though)
You guys should try it!

Yep, there were bugs! I'm pretty sure there's one when you enter the lavender building and it triggers the tutorial? That was because we tested the combat there and I guess I never tried going back into that building again Tongue Gonna be removed next build.

Second one is the TIPS pop up can get stuck in dialogue

Did you find any others?

Gonna release a polished build hopefully this week or next, I got to demo the game at a convention yesterday and it went really awesome! Super stoked the finish this now! I'll be updating about the experience a bit later today! :D

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »

Cool!

And yes, I found the door that brought me to the tutorial fight Sad

I almost gave up, but I replayed it until the end. (avoiding that damn door XD)

Other bugs:
When you talk to the kid who is rooting for you, there is some options under the dialogues.
When Mochi is teaching you how to play, Tris can move around (was it intentional?)
I also had the impression that some bosses died without getting hit. (I'm not sure though, because I was too concentrated surviving XD)

The only bug that really bugged me was the tutorial's secret shortcut.

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2017, 10:20:58 AM »

Cool!

And yes, I found the door that brought me to the tutorial fight Sad

I almost gave up, but I replayed it until the end. (avoiding that damn door XD)

Other bugs:
When you talk to the kid who is rooting for you, there is some options under the dialogues.
When Mochi is teaching you how to play, Tris can move around (was it intentional?)
I also had the impression that some bosses died without getting hit. (I'm not sure though, because I was too concentrated surviving XD)

The only bug that really bugged me was the tutorial's secret shortcut.

The movement during the tutorial wasn't intentional but it's fine, it actually allows the player to push the buttons and get used to things before the combat happens, i'm going to trim the tutorial yet again. I was taught to write tutorials like the player had never played a game before. But I'm taking my own stance on this and simplifying it, the fact that you get to keep retrying after you die, means it's okay for the player to learn through trial and error in my opinion.

A boss will die after executing his last attack rotation if you have reduced their HP to 0, since bosses enter rage mode around 30% it is sort of like there "last stand", once the boss reaches 0 the player has actually already won the fight, watching this happen to people at the convention was really exciting. A lot of games will "punish" you for killing the enemy the same time is kills you, I think I like rounding out the win to the player in this case Smiley

Window kid does need to be fixed, there's no system for scrolling down to further choices because he's the only one that provides more than two so it'll have to be worked in!

I'm glad you replayed until the end, I hope you really liked it, yesterdays conventions and community feedback have pretty much given what I need to perfect the next version Smiley (you'll also be able to read text at your own pace)

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »

But I'm taking my own stance on this and simplifying it, the fact that you get to keep retrying after you die, means it's okay for the player to learn through trial and error in my opinion.

I second this. I died like 3 times during the tutorial and I had to re-watch the tutorial every time XP

I hope you really liked it

I really did!
I liked the pacing, the setting. The characters were also nice (I wasn't a Tris's fan at the beginning, but he quickly grew on me).
I also think the demo ended in a great moment story-wise.

(I think, there's a three with pixels 2x bigger (I didn't write this one down, so I'm not sure anymore). I'd rather have it with the same pixels size)

(you'll also be able to read text at your own pace)

Looking forward this one.

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2017, 11:52:27 AM »

Saturday was a long, huge, day for Cynical 7!

For the first time I got to see my labor of love played by random gamers who had no affiliation with me, therefore, no need to go out of there way to spare me harsh critiques.

I’m proud to say that ALL the ground work seems to be there to make this game a success.

Some found it a bit wordy, and I did end up having to use debug mode so they could get through dialogue faster (thank god that option existed) but it was a HUGE learning experience, and as someone who has never written a script before now,  people were impressed and I learned what I needed to know to  take it to the next level.

The combat was  HUGE hit, everyone loved it. A handful of people couldn’t beat the boss in the tutorial and walked away in graceful defeat.

Biggest highlights for me?

-the 9 year old kid that came back to play twice
    -everyone that played the full hour+ demo through until the end
    -people I got the speak with about games and encourage them about taking a stab at their own ideas

I don’t think I’ve been so amped about working on this game since it’s conception, it was truly amazing to share a space with fellow indie devs treading the same path as me. Until now, since I’ve been working on my own and taking full artistic and design direction of the game my brain is often exhausted and running on E.

I think I’ll start writing out the rest of the script for the game this week to give myself and Idea of how much stuff I still need to make for the game. I did things the opposite way last time and ended with a lot of extra stuff and short on the things I needed basically bottle necking myself.

In any case, I hope you’ve enjoyed the demo if you’ve gotten around to it. The latest version is now live and implements some substantial improvements!

Until then!

-Tristan

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2017, 03:13:41 PM »

Lurker here! Grin

Congrats for the event!  Great to hear that the game has been well received! Smiley

Had a quick look at the demo.

A handful of people couldn’t beat the boss in the tutorial and walked away in graceful defeat.
I couldn't even get out of the apartment after shower. XD

Not sure if I selected it or Unity resized the window but it ended up with something about 5:3 ratio.  That meant that the dialogue box and stats were visible but nothing beyond that on either side.  For that reason, in the beginning, after defeating the purse robber, I wasn't sure who the main character was talking to exactly.
Then, after taking a bath, might have skipped a dialogue too quickly but wasn't sure what to do.  I tried to look at everything, but ...   There was one door that I couldn't even approach though due to an "invisible force field".

Regarding the wordiness, I felt that the intro fight tutorial might have had more text and that significantly paused the momentum of the chase.  Also, since time is "frozen" from a focus point of view, it would've been better to freeze the character animations and animate the red arrow as it was pointing to what was being talked about.

In terms of visual stye, one thing that sticks out is the purse snatcher when it is shown with "large size" pixels.  From what I've seen, that was the only character with those "large sized" pixels.  Even the characters next the dialogue box seem more detailed than that.  But if it's meant to be a reference to 8-bit games and their use of increasing characters due to technical limitations, then it's okay.

There are many funny things, but the pizza bully gif made me LOL. Grin
"Noooo!  You can't do that to a PIZZA!!!"

Regarding the trailer:
0:33 There could be some kind *SMASH* and/or *SHOCKED* sfx for the the actual event and since the music stops, that parts feels very empty.
0:42 The dialogue choices should come up after the dialogue line is actually displayed.

That promo pic is interesting, but it's very different in terms of style.   Back in the days of 8-bit era you wouldn't expect a game with such visuals so there was no disappointment.  But nowadays it's a different story and when I see different teaser pic style from how the game actually looks, I feel a bit mislead.  For example, if you see and image like this, what kind of game would you expect?

Kickstarter link

On the other hand, I do understand that such an image is a bit more eye-catching than a pixel image.  I guess, as long as it does attract the right people, and doesn't repel people who would actually be attracted to pixel style, it might be okay.
Similarly, I wondered if the non-pixel text in the images was for the devlog or actually in game.  Looks like those are in game and my obviously subjective view is that those don't go very well with the pixel style.  Oddly though, I've seen a few examples where I didn't mind but I think I really like the game's pixel style visuals and because of that, those non-pixel fonts just don't fit.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 03:19:45 PM by io3 creations » Logged

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »

Lurker here! Grin

Not sure if I selected it or Unity resized the window but it ended up with something about 5:3 ratio.  That meant that the dialogue box and stats were visible but nothing beyond that on either side.

Hey dude! Thanks for stepping out from behind the shadows to share your thoughts! I wish you had a screenshot of what you encountered, I've never heard of that happening or seen it happen. My immediate question is: what build are you playing? I released a new one today, which cleans up a lot of dialogue based on what I saw at the convention and you can also skip and read dialogues at your own pace now so starting over isn't nearly as daunting. There's some other fun changes as well.

The changes are here and builds are here: https://trisbee.itch.io/cynical7

Then, after taking a bath, might have skipped a dialogue too quickly but wasn't sure what to do.  

As for getting stuck you should be able to press "T" to pull out your phone which tells you what your next task is! The apartment tasks are relatively simple, but yeah, you gotta read the dialogue at least until you find out how to pull up the pointers Tongue

Regarding the wordiness, I felt that the intro fight tutorial might have had more text and that significantly paused the momentum of the chase.  Also, since time is "frozen" from a focus point of view, it would've been better to freeze the character animations and animate the red arrow as it was pointing to what was being talked about.

You'll be glad to know the tutorial text is one of the things that got a major nerf. As I was telling "Stricle" above, I was embedded with the idea that tutorials need to be written for the dumb and assume anyone reading it is, but I have slightly more faith in my player's abilities and being able to retry immediately, I see no need not to reduce the hand holding a bit. I agree the arrows could be animated, it's not killing me for now, and for the love of god I really hope lack of animated tutorial arrows doesn't actually hurt someone's opinion of the game >.>

In terms of visual stye, one thing that sticks out is the purse snatcher when it is shown with "large size" pixels.  From what I've seen, that was the only character with those "large sized" pixels.  

The purse snatches pixels are larger to be honest because they're upscaled. I drew all the enemies the same size as the main character, I wanted the enemies to be relatively normal, BUT, put into practice, that left way too much dead space during combat and wasn't nearly as exciting. I'm pretty new to pixel art and this is my first stab at it, so I would have to practice working with larger sizes, I decided not to bottleneck the game because of that. Sure they don't match perfectly, but I also think they don't look bad considering the overall style of the game and the generally flat color tones. Shaded sprites might have been a lot worse off.

There are many funny things, but the pizza bully gif made me LOL. Grin
"Noooo!  You can't do that to a PIZZA!!!
"

I'm glad you like the pizza moment. EVERYONE likes, the pizza moment. Most people at the con were only able to get that far in the demo because of all the things going on, but generally, it stops being the least favorite moment once they get to the later part of the demo Smiley

Regarding the trailer:
0:33 There could be some kind *SMASH* and/or *SHOCKED* sfx for the the actual event and since the music stops, that parts feels very empty.
0:42 The dialogue choices should come up after the dialogue line is actually displayed.

For the trailer bits the trailer actually had something to fill that blank space but there is a lot going on in the trailer and it got to the point where adding extra elements took away from it hence the saying "less is more". It's probably not perfect, but I feel like it gets the idea across. I have a longer one, but the general consensus was to make your trailer about a minute to keep people's attention and leave something to be desired, I will probably use it in my campaign on the 1st~!

As for the dialogue, there are a lot of things in my game that don't follow the general conventions of RPGs but in good ways, yeah, just about every RPG would probably finish a choice dialogue before presenting the choices, but is that to say someone couldn't do it differently? Certainly not- I kind of think because the nature of there often being an absurd response to a rational response it's kind of fun to see the fun contrast of choices before knowing what it's actually going to be in reference to.

That promo pic is interesting, but it's very different in terms of style.   Back in the days of 8-bit era you wouldn't expect a game with such visuals so there was no disappointment.  

As for the cover art, I definitely don't want to deceive people, from a creator's point of view, it is really awesome to my character's take life in a form other than pixel art. Pixel art is fun, but there's nothing like seeing your character in your game become humanized, cover art comes down to aesthetics. Being realistic here, if someone were to buy my game without googling a screen shot or somehow looking at a screen shot on steam before buying it and was disappointed, it would be a fairly hard lesson learned for them Tongue

In the end while my game certainly does fit into genres believe it or not a lot of the main characters motivations are inspired by my own life and experiences. I started making this game during a rough patch of my life. I made a few games that tried to pander towards fan-service and they didn't pay off and that was hard for me because I essentially financially ruined myself in the process, so I started making this game without regard for how popular it could become. The most important thing was that it was my own, so mostly likely for strictly aesthetical things I will probably just follow through with my gut, I hope you can bear the clashing fonts in the game and the potentially oversized pixels in the future :D  

There are still a couple of more changes to make to the demo over the week so if you'd consider playing it again maybe wait until those are done for the full experience! I would have probably waited a day or 2 to release the demo publicly and just released the revised vision from the convention, but I had no idea what to expect or that it would be so awesome and enlightening, a lesson learned to be for sure!

Lastly, while I might not have agreed with on everything I'm really appreciative for your insight, glad you played the demo, and SUPER glad it left enough of a impression for you to clearly curate all your thoughts as intricately as to the very second of the points in the trailer that felt light to you.

I'd love to keep in touch when I release the next build if you are interested in sharing more of your thoughts or keeping tabs on the progress of the game! Smiley

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »

My immediate question is: what build are you playing? I released a new one today, which cleans up a lot of dialogue based on what I saw at the convention and you can also skip and read dialogues at your own pace now so starting over isn't nearly as daunting.
I downloaded it from http://tacopizzacats.com/index.php/play-the-demo/ yesterday.  I downloaded it from itch.io today and seems to be the same.

you can also skip and read dialogues at your own pace now so starting over isn't nearly as daunting.
How do you skip the dialogue?  Space speeds up the display of each line but can you skip the entire dialogue with a single button?  I didn't see it mentioned.

I wish you had a screenshot of what you encountered, I've never heard of that happening or seen it happen.
Here are a few screenshots (you can open it in a new tab to see it full size)

I think I have some idea about what happened.  I'm using a laptop with an external monitor for gamedev.  If I run the game on the laptop, then I can select from 16:9 ratios.  But, and this is the strange part, if I run the game on the external monitor then I only see 4:3 ratios.  Weird because the monitor is 16:9.  :shrug: 

It seems like that Unity's way of dealing with different resolutions seems to be that the game is always displayed full height and the sides end up being cut off.  Not sure how many 4:3 screens are out there but if you can, it'd be good to keep the action near within that that ratio.

I've been wondering about this and it might be that if the aspect ratio differs from 16:9 and you still want to keep it at 16:9, then your code would have to fit the game. 

Seems like the main character's stats are also visible (compared to 16:9 screenshots), so I'm guessing you are aligning that to the actual screen.  But the animation events still seem to be off screen if the screen is narrower than what you intended.

In terms of moving on the levels, I don't think it affected it - at least so far.

Either way, it's good to keep in mind.

The bottom screenshot shows the "invisible forcefied" at the door.  If it's meant to stop the player from approaching the door before completing all tasks, then it's bad game design.  Why?  Because visually nothing is blocking the player's path.  It's much worse then those fences that you visually can obviously jump over but you're stopped because at least you can guess that the gamedevs set up the game so you aren't meant to go that way.
Solution: since there doors in the game, display the same message when the player tries to use the door.
NOTE: I wonder if it might have something to do with the different screen resolution and maybe something got shifted?

As for getting stuck you should be able to press "T" to pull out your phone which tells you what your next task is! The apartment tasks are relatively simple, but yeah, you gotta read the dialogue at least until you find out how to pull up the pointers Tongue
This is exactly what I thought when I added an instruction into the dialogue of one of my StickMan Sam games.  Guess what happened?  A few people asking about how to open the parachute. :S

Actually, I do remember reading something about a cell phone.  But my main objective was not gameplay but providing a "first impression", I was mainly skimming text.   
Lesson:  If it's important, make sure that the player "can't miss it" - even accidentally.  One common way is to display the instruction and "force" the player to follow it and only remove it when the player has successfully completed it.  You know, press A/D to move left/right.  In your case, Mochi could ask the player to "Press [T] to check your TO DO list now." and only continue after the player has actually done it.

Regarding the wordiness, I felt that the intro fight tutorial might have had more text and that significantly paused the momentum of the chase.  Also, since time is "frozen" from a focus point of view, it would've been better to freeze the character animations and animate the red arrow as it was pointing to what was being talked about.
You'll be glad to know the tutorial text is one of the things that got a major nerf. As I was telling "Stricle" above, I was embedded with the idea that tutorials need to be written for the dumb and assume anyone reading it is, but I have slightly more faith in my player's abilities and being able to retry immediately, I see no need not to reduce the hand holding a bit. I agree the arrows could be animated, it's not killing me for now, and for the love of god I really hope lack of animated tutorial arrows doesn't actually hurt someone's opinion of the game >.>
Even now, your tutorial seemed wordy before I could get to the actual gameplay.  But, as mentioned, I was in a "skimming" mode and as you mentioned, you have to keep in mind your target audience. 

On the other hand, it isn't just how wordy a tutorial is, but how much does a person have to consume before implementing it.  In the old days there were manuals that you could study carefully but now tutorials are integrated into a game.  In general, it's better to give "bite-sized-chunks". 
-Show keys for basic movement.  Player moves and reaches a block that they need to jump over.
-Show key for jump. Player jumps over.
-etc
But this might be more relevant for casual/mobile games. Since there's plenty of reading in game, your target audience might be more fine with an "elaborate" tutorial.

Another reason to pause animations during tutorial is ... currently it seemed like you didn't disable the gameplay and I could attack the purse snatcher as the dialoge was displayed although couldn't actually defeat him ... so I'd consider it as a form of bug.

Another thing came to mind.  At the very beginning of the game, when the purse snatcher cutscene just finished, I wasn't sure if the cutscene will continue or it's my time to play.  After a while I checked if I could move.  It'd be nice to know when it is my turn to play.  You've probably seen the  [GO >] label and/or even better, display the movement controls.

Regarding the trailer:

For the trailer bits the trailer actually had something to fill that blank space but there is a lot going on in the trailer and it got to the point where adding extra elements took away from it hence the saying "less is more". It's probably not perfect, but I feel like it gets the idea across. I have a longer one, but the general consensus was to make your trailer about a minute to keep people's attention and leave something to be desired, I will probably use it in my campaign on the 1st~!
What I meant by empty was more in terms of adding sfx and not other visual content.  It's similar to watching a car chase and then suddenly ... a crash occurs without crash sound.  That would be strange.  Similarly, having a *SMASH* sfx could emphasize when the pizza bully smashes the pizza out of Tris's hand.
As for the dialogue, there are a lot of things in my game that don't follow the general conventions of RPGs but in good ways, yeah, just about every RPG would probably finish a choice dialogue before presenting the choices, but is that to say someone couldn't do it differently? Certainly not- I kind of think because the nature of there often being an absurd response to a rational response it's kind of fun to see the fun contrast of choices before knowing what it's actually going to be in reference to.
While my preference is different, it might still fit in the game as a "convention breaker".  However, this is a trailer where you want to convince people to get the game and not to confuse them.  When you displayed the choices, I started reading those from top to bottom.  First line, then the one below.  So what happened by the time I got to the dialogue line?  It disappeared and the trailer started displaying the next one.  That left me confused a bit because I didn't know if I missed something important/relevant or not. As the trailer went on with the next dialogue line, I had a feeling that it was supposed to be a joke ... but didn't get it. I went back because I wanted to check, but if there was no way to go back then it would've left me with a confused/bitter feeling.  Especially, also since you are spending about one third or the trailer on that.

In the end while my game certainly does fit into genres believe it or not a lot of the main characters motivations are inspired by my own life and experiences. I started making this game during a rough patch of my life. I made a few games that tried to pander towards fan-service and they didn't pay off and that was hard for me because I essentially financially ruined myself in the process, so I started making this game without regard for how popular it could become. The most important thing was that it was my own, so mostly likely for strictly aesthetical things I will probably just follow through with my gut, I hope you can bear the clashing fonts in the game and the potentially oversized pixels in the future :D 
At the end of the day, for better or worse, it's better to follow your own vision Smiley  and only consider other's opinions - if relevant.   I've taken plenty of leaps of faith due to my "inner calling" and so far eventually things have turned out as they were "meant to be". Grin

In terms of the clashing font style and upscaled pixels issues, I've played many other games with similar minor issues but if I was interested then those didn't prevent from enjoying the rest.  After having played many games, your's still has something visually different/uniue that I'll be interested in exploring.  Smiley

I'd love to keep in touch when I release the next build if you are interested in sharing more of your thoughts or keeping tabs on the progress of the game! Smiley
Time allowing, I do check TIGsource and I will see when you post updates.

For feedback purposes, I'm wondering if would be possible to add a few options:
-Level Select:  to jump to a specific part of the game.  This could be very useful for skipping parts that you've already played.  It probably wouldn't need to be available for those that just want to play the game.  The menu could be hidden and only shown for those that want to see it  e.g. when clicking something or certain keys are pressed. 
-Having a way for the main character to be a "superfast runner" when running could useful to speed up when walking is required.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2017, 02:52:25 PM »

Oh, regarding the demo link, you could put it in your signature.  Also, when you begin Kickstarter, add that link as well.

UPDATE:
Not sure what happened, but now I can see a few 16:9 ratio resolutions.  It might have helped that in Unity > Build Settings > Player Settings > Resolution and Presentation, I unchecked Default is Native Resolution and set 1280 x 720.  Not sure if that did the trick or not.  Hmmm, now I wonder if there's a way to actually force Unity to keep the resolution ratio that you want somehow.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:12:12 AM by io3 creations » Logged

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »

Happy Monday! Today I'll be sharing more of the game with you guys now that the demo has been out in the word for almost 2 weeks!

The Climax of the demo takes place at a party Tris is reluctant to go to. I won't spoil everything, but in the midst of his anxiety he begins to have one too many drinks and things begin going straight to hell >.>

All of the battles in the demo now have dialogue! Fun!

Now that the demo is done and out there in the world, I'm back to facing in my opinion what is the most difficult task of being an indie dev. Getting people to notice it, Cynical 7 has the uphill battle of having some pretty dated graphics and I think all the editors are shying away from it which is a fricken shame because the game is about the story and the style in my opinion fits it really well, but I believe in it so I'll just have to keep on goin' Grin

In any case I made a Thunderclap which basically rounds of people behind your cause and massively posts across social media in an attempt to make your game super visible, so if you'd like to support that I'd be super appreciate, the link is here: http://thndr.me/6bXj0l

My Kickstarter is still aimed for the 1st, I have no clue how things are going to go but I'm totally rooting for myself! ^_^

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2017, 03:43:39 AM »

I added you social reach by an incredible 23 XD

So your kickstarter comes out tomorrow ? Holy molly!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic