Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 11:55:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)games and art
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: games and art  (Read 16221 times)
Nix
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »

he'll make a new one
Theophilus
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »

he always does.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2011, 02:01:08 PM »

ah, good.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2011, 02:15:16 PM »

Contributing to society through a forum. It's like, probably not possible because everyone could have any sort of motivation for saying everything they say.

i'm pretty sure it's possible to positively contribute to society through posting on a forum, but also pretty sure that 99% of the posts which contribute positively to society are contained in the feedback and devlog subforums (perhaps also the technical and tutorial sections)

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2011, 03:13:55 PM »

Or make interesting game that goes beyond the usual gamer culture.

You bring up what seems to be a good point, but I think that if you played every single game currently made you can get all of the experiences of every game that WILL be made, if you are willing to search for that experience with the rules of the game and bend it to your own creative/entertainment whims.

For instance, my sisters and I loved this game called 4x4 EVO for PS2. It was a truck racing game with an open racing world. Meaning, there was a track but you in no way were bound to it. You could drive off the set path and make your way through towns, down gullies, up mountains, into the ocean, whatever was on the map. The map also was infinite in that when you went off the map on the right side you'd pop back in on the left side at the same Y position relative to the minimap. Sort of like asteroids only in 3D. Also the maps were designed so that this transition was seamless. It was like you were driving around the earth.

We did not race in the game.

We set up a race with a really high amount of laps and then roamed the world in split screen, usually playing tag and crashing into each other.

Another way to make my point is that most of the core experiences planned for Deshori could be had by playing Cabela's Dangerous Hunts or something like that.

A game is a game is a game with new skin.

The same actually applies to books, so in a way writing is also a waste of time.

The main reason anyone makes anything artistic nowadays is in hopes of being attributed as the creator of said thing if it becomes popular in an attempt to justify their existence as a human being and/or make money.
I'm not dissing that, just calling it what it is.

I guess I'm trying to diss your sense of "Exploring the Frontier" of gaming and "Breaking New Ground" in gaming as a goal in your life. That stuff doesn't mean shit.

Art will always be. You don't need to go Rambo on it.

Focus on more important things. Look at the earth and see what needs to happen to better it.
Stop being a child.

The world needs less manbabies and more men.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:24:48 PM by peanutbuttershoes » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »

I dunno, I didn't know that staying home was a man job Wink
I will ask you how many good game that have great social mechanics we have, I think this is an area where we can make progress beyond existing and mixing mechanics. I had toy with idea like spatial communication (distance between character), attitude (judgement of action as interaction) with temporal consistency of action as an interaction.
Almost no game I heard play with that (only experiment like sweaty palm, loosely). There is still a lot to explore within gameplay, those exemple are all about "mimicry". Gameplay is not as narrow as we may see it today. Nor is language limited because it only have 24 letters and that word are only permutation of that.

Now I'm learning programming to do all of that and I HATE programming, I'm good enough to create isolate mechanics, not yet to architect whole game.
Also history is made of men who step further, not men who hide in despair Wink

But this phrase is not about NEW, it's about beyond the very narrow gamer culture. Of course it's about "new coat of paint" too, it's not as alarming as trying to be always innovative in gameplay and it reach to theme too.

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »

Wait, are you talking about games?
Did you read my post or not?

How old are you?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:09:21 PM by peanutbuttershoes » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »

I was at the millenium fair, which prove nothing there was a time portal behind the tree

mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2011, 04:08:51 AM »

The main reason anyone makes anything artistic nowadays is in hopes of being attributed as the creator of said thing if it becomes popular in an attempt to justify their existence as a human being and/or make money.

The main reason anyone makes anything unlike majority of video games nowadays is because they have needs that current video games do not satisfy. Whether what they end up doing can be marketed, monetized or used to justify their existence is irrelevant at this point. That comes second.

The point is this: there are needs that are not satisfied. Satisfy them. That's what people mean when they say go beyond gamer culture. Whether games are bounded to be formulaic or not is irrelevant. If there are needs that are not satisfied then there are formulas that aren't discovered yet, let alone milked.

And, by the way, playing video games the unconventional way does not satisfy these needs quite well. In most cases, not at all. At best, it can hint at your unsatisfied needs. I remember playing some Batman game on PS1 merely by driving the car and walking around the city. This was before Driver and GTA games came out.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:16:29 AM by mirosurabu » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic