Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 05:45:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Preferred pixel art border style?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Preferred pixel art border style?  (Read 2951 times)
Mauris
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2011, 07:47:10 PM »

So, what one do you like most?

A.
Pros: Seems to be the fastest to draw. Also, seems to be the way Paul Robertson does he's borders, so that's good.
Cons: Sort of too cartoonish, you know? Also, sort of messy because it can be hard to tell what border is for what.

B.
Pros: Less cartoonish than A, and you can tell what belongs to what, so solved both of those problems, but...
Cons: Seems to take the longest to draw, and that can seriously hurt any one man team.

C.
Pros: Looks soft, sweet, pretty. Also faster to get out than B, but not as much as A, but still good.
Cons: Anything that uses this style, no matter what the game play, story, or even medium, is copying cave story. You know it, I know it, don't try to deny it. You see something with this style and think 'Ooh, cave story!' and not that it was a bad game, it was awesome, but you like your own works to stand on their own.  Cave Story

So, opinions?

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, that is just a clever façade.
Thardus
Level 0

Zoooom.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 10:14:18 PM »

[Edit] Actually I'd like to see a hybrid between B and C. I think it'd look best. [/Edit]

Also, I find your suggestion that C has anything to do with cave story a little... odd. I'm a huge fan of the game and that's not what I saw at all when I looked at C. An outlineless style has been used by plenty of sprites. Sonic, for example.
Theophilus
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 10:49:03 PM »

yeah, go for C. I don't see any cave story influence whatsoever.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 10:52:30 PM »

C.  Also no-outlines = cavestory?   SMB Mario

hi
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 10:55:14 PM »

HEY WHY DOES C LOOK LIKE IT'S FROM CAVESTORY?? ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE A CAVESTORY RIPOFF?
Mauris
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 03:42:41 AM »

Na it's ok, just a Zelda 2 ripoff. Totally legit.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, that is just a clever façade.
TaintedFork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 09:37:16 AM »

I also think C looks the best and it might be smoother for animation as well.

Also, I definitely didn't think of Cave Story at all when I first saw it. I actually thought of Super Mario Bros. 2, from that first, Princess Peach-like character.

EDIT: Okay that really doesn't look like Princess Peach after all... But I still thought of that when I saw it. :/
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »

c is my fave here and it looks nothing like cave story
Glic2000
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 11:49:40 AM »

Some people haven't played Cave Story. Smiley

I think I like B the best.  Whether or not C would work depends on the backgrounds you're using, I think. 
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »

C looks the best only because it gets rid of the banding that is in both A and B. If done right, I'd say B would look better.

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
Kramlack
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 02:23:03 AM »

C looks the best only because it gets rid of the banding that is in both A and B. If done right, I'd say B would look better.
RCIX
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 12:28:56 AM »

This
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 05:52:39 AM »

Yes, I think the problem here is that the example sprites aren't exactly very good representations of what is being discussed.

Basically A is indeed the fastest but also the ugliest way to do it (and even Paul Robertson uses B for his more serious/larger works as seen here). I suppose it's less problematic in larger, animated pieces, though.

B and C are both pretty good when used well. B is more problematic with smaller sprites due to the outlines taking up potential space, but it also helps define shapes in a cartoony manner. C fits those smaller-res sprites better, but it might also be harder to animate well due to required shading trickery.

tl;dr: None of these styles look like Cave Story unless you want that, so what is this I don't even  Screamy

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 01:27:49 PM »

I prefer C because looks pretty, but a great shading technique is needed and must to keep differences with the backgrounds. B isn't bad either, but only if is big enough.

But thinking again, a mix between B and C could be awesome (in some sprites with B and in others with C).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic