Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:48:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Idle animations
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Idle animations  (Read 1188 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:21:22 AM »

In my game "Sumerian Blood" there is a strategy board with units in it, much like a chess game.

I was told the board look kind of static, since when the player don't select any unit, none of the units move. So I thought to make idle animations for the characters.
The question is, what kind of idle animations will look good?
Should I make a 4 frames idle animation, and then have randomly characters in the board make the idle animation and then go back to static?
Or should all the character always be in idle animation and never static?

Master of all trades.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 01:16:06 AM »

I think a constant idle animation on everyone would be kinda distracting and busy, maybe an occasional one would work but how about an animation for when a unit is selected? like, moving into a 'ready' stance?

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 02:09:11 AM »

An animation when a unit is selected is also good, but the purpose of this is to make the board not look so static. So I think if there is going to be an animation only when a unit is seletecd, it will still look static most of the time.

Master of all trades.
Ashkin
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 02:22:26 AM »

HOw about adding a 'shine' effect- a band of lighter colour that moves along from top left to bottom right every now and then? Also, I think your idea of a 4-frame idle that plays randomly every and then for a random unit is good. Stuff like checking how sharp their knife blade is, shuffling their feet, etc.
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »

Yeah, I think all units should idle all the time. In Heroes of Might and Magic 2, all your units would have a little idle animation that would play at random intervals. Like a dragon breathing smoke out it's nostrils randomly, or a knight shifting the weight on his feet. Zombies had flies that would constantly buzz around them, pheonixs would always be glowing, ect...

I think it would be cool if there was a little idling for each unit. Like, the strong looking dude would take a deep breath, or the birdy would stretch it's wings.

As for selecting a unit, Heroes 2 would outline the unit you have selected in yellow. That would probably be best, or even highlighting the tile the unit is standing or making it flash would be cool as well.

btw I just want to mention that this game looks cool. :D

xrabohrok
Level 0

ahahahaAHAHAHAAHA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 10:31:21 AM »

I would personally make it so that each unit, once every 20 seconds or so, shifts their weight subtly.  For things that don't make sense with weight and stuff, make them "fidget".  That way they are showing indications of life instead of being just static images.  Then, when you mouse over them, they get excited and maybe stance for a attack or something.   

Maybe make some of them blink?

*Your sprites got pretty good since I last saw them, keep it up!  Beer!

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so naturally they save a lot of time.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic