Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 05:03:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoINSERT WITTY FISHING GAME NAME HERE
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: INSERT WITTY FISHING GAME NAME HERE  (Read 5819 times)
kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2009, 02:16:06 PM »

My brother and I have been waiting for a new compo so we could put something together, and having the option of making something educational gave us a couple ideas that we'd enjoy developing.

We both love to fish, but over the last number of decades all sorts of fisheries have taken a huge drop. I hear stories from ol' sea dogs about how whales of all species used to abundantly populate our fishing grounds, and how you couldn't drop a line in the water without pulling out a fish. Nowadays, here in British Columbia, Canada, stocks are suffering due to a number of factors including (but not limited to) fish farming, pollution, and overfishing.

We're not tree-hugging hippies; it's just that it sounds like 'the old days' were so nice...

Overview:

Our game is a simple fishing sim that uses real-world fish stock and run size information to show how badly things have degraded, and (to the best of our ability) project what it might look like in the near future. It will start in around 1970, and proceed to 2020.

Story:
The player's character is a young fisherman in the 1970's, looking to make a career for himself. In your modest little boat, you buy a license and head for open waters. Over the course of your career, you use the money raised from fish caught to upgrade your gear, improve your vessel, and to renew licenses.

Our Goal:
The goal of the game is to give the player a simple fishing experience, while simultaneously educating the players on different fish species and how their natural populations are dwindling due to human factors.

Concept:
Made this in 10 minutes, but it was enough to inspire my brother and I to get something going.  Wink

Nothing more to say for now, really... we're working on it now. I'll be doing the art/design (at a much higher caliber than my concept!) and my brother will be programming. We are using XNA/C#.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:21:18 PM by Kibble » Logged

Scyfer33
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:18:46 PM »

Should be a pretty interesting concept to try and create. I've only dipped my feet into programming for the past six months or so, but it should be a fun challenge, hopefully will learn a ton from it as well.

Not too sure how to approach this, but hopefully I can give an update on our progress in the next day or so.

-Scyfer
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 03:29:41 PM »

Good luck! Seems pretty interesting. Beer!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Scyfer33
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 02:32:44 PM »

Alright, took a bit longer then expected, but we have added enough content in there to create a very short video to show you guys what we have going on.

The address is:

It has the basics down, fish re spawning and drawing different sizes according to their weight.  I am in the process of adding in a list of different fish types, I will throw that in the random pool as well, to create more variety down below.  Hopefully we will have some basic animations down and make the game a bit more playable in general, once we accomplish this I will publish a beta build to see if you guys can give some more accurate feedback =)

If there is anything you notice in the video that you think could improve give me a should and I'll look at it.

-Scyfer
kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 02:40:29 PM »

When drawing the first pass assets, I totally forgot to draw a fisherdude! Fisherdude shall come into existence this weekend, along with a few more fish species.

We're going to eventually tie fish sizing in with seasonal regulations, so you could catch a 4lb Chinook... but if the regulations call for a 6lb, and you keep it, Fisheries could potentially catch and fine you. Grin The fish species will be taken from real life, and their size and behavior will reflect their real-world attributes. Chinook get pretty big, and tend to stay deeper, while Coho sit nearer to the surface but generally don't get as big.

Also, it's probably worth calling out, but there will be a reeling/fighting mechanic in. We just haven't quite gotten there yet, so don't worry if the acutal fishing mechanic seems... dry. Tongue

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Witty Fishing Game Names:

Fish Just for the Halibut

maybe something with reel in it...

If you were in the adult competition:

Master Baiters

Put the Worm on the Hookers

-PENCERKOFF

v21
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 12:12:30 PM »

This idea seems brilliantly, quietly, educational. Oodles of luck!
smn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 01:15:33 PM »

Fish Yes, Not So Octopus. Noir
Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:26:22 PM »

Master Baiters
THIS!
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 11:20:13 PM »

Master Baiters
THIS!
It's... it's beautiful!
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 11:26:28 PM »

Master Baiters
THIS!
It's... it's beautiful!
Fourthed!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Acid
Level 1

A ninja is you!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 12:17:03 AM »

Search 'Master Baiters' in google and see what you get. It's SFW but hilarious that someone actually uses that name for a company/shop.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic