Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 01:33:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSurreal Science - Propel yourself with a shotgun to solve mazes!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Surreal Science - Propel yourself with a shotgun to solve mazes!  (Read 2917 times)
Snowstorm
Level 0

It's supposed to be pixel art, but whatever.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »

Thank you to everyone who supported development!

Download links:
Direct Link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/op7t25cfgh5s64q/Surreal%20Science.exe?dl=1
GameJolt - http://gamejolt.com/games/action/surreal-science/42239/

----------

Started development on 10/19/2014

Hello!

I had started an old devlog for this game but didn't take the development seriously, so I scrapped my old prototype and started a new one. Keep in mind, I'm not falling to Derek's rule of starting over.

Anyways, Shotgun-mania! is a 2D action platformer game with some puzzle elements like Portal. You play as a character in a testing facility where you use a modified shotgun to solve mazes. This shotgun propels you in any direction you want.

I spent a couple hours yesterday planning what features I would work on in a given day, and then an hour today implementing basic mechanics. My goal is to have this game completed around mid-December if not sooner.

Here is what I have so far:

Movement (controlled by the 'A' and 'D' keys):

Jumping (controlled by the spacebar):

Shooting / Propelling (controlled with the left mouse button):

The reason I'm posting here is because I want to get feedback on my work. Questions, comments, ideas? Let me know. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:14:11 PM by snowstorm » Logged

Craig
Snowstorm
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »

Love the movement.

Thought: Jumping and even left-right movement become kind of redundant.

Other thought: maybe if the gun is pointed down you can pogo on it, like in Ducktales or Shovel Knight.
Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:27:12 AM »

I did have the idea to make jumping possible by holding the gun straight down and pressing the right mouse button. I like that "pogo" idea though, I'll consider it. Thank you!

Craig
Snowstorm
Canned Turkey
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 10:33:41 AM »

How about just making the shotgun your only means of moving?
Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »

How about just making the shotgun your only means of moving?

I considered that but it would only limit the amount of puzzles I could make. At least types of puzzles.

Craig
Snowstorm
Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »

Implemented these new features this week:

Smooth camera movement:

*The camera also tilts based on what direction you're moving horizontally and how fast you're moving.

Basic cutscenes:

*At the beginning of each level, the camera focuses on the target destination for two seconds and then moves to the player.

Turrets (idle):

*These turrets will shoot at the player if it gets too close. Otherwise it has an 'idle' animation that plays.

Look, the turrets can attached to walls too!

My next goal is to have turrets attack the player, and to implement player HP.  After that, puzzle elements.

Comments, questions, suggestions/ideas? Let me know. Cheers!

Craig
Snowstorm
Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 04:05:34 PM »

I have decided to only place turrets on the ground and right-side walls because of strange programming errors. Combat between the player and turrets is finished, here's the result:

Turrets shooting at the player:

I apologize in advance because the GIF's do not display certain elements correctly.

The player can shoot and destroy the turrets:

Now onto puzzle elements. In Shotgun-mania, the player can collect keys which are used to unlock locked doors and open doors that slide up.

An example of a standard key opening a locked door:

Multiple colored keys and doors:

Keys can open side doors:

There are also buttons that can open locked doors. Eventually I'll program the buttons to open whatever door is nearest to it. For now, here's what it looks like when a button opens a locked door.

The blocks can also be shot at (and will move) but I wasn't able to record a decent GIF of it.

My next focus is to make the puzzle elements more aesthetically pleasing. Maybe I'll put in some placeholder animations.

Until next time,
Snowstorm

Craig
Snowstorm
Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »

Finished up some aesthetics before starting level design.

Red transparent overlay based on player's depleted health (the more health lost, the less transparent):

Keys unlocking doors 'animation':

Multiple buttons:

I've been fighting a bad cold, so I wanted to get this out as quickly as I could. My next update will showcase screenshots for some cool levels.

Craig
Snowstorm

Craig
Snowstorm
Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 05:42:41 PM »

I'll be showcasing some of the levels that I've created (in no particular order), and improved cube physics and cube 'grabbing'. I apologize for the large GIFs and possibly slow loading of them. Shrug

First level being showcased:

Second level being showcased:

Third level being showcased:

Fourth level being showcased:

Better cube physics + cube 'grabbing':

There isn't true cube physics because I haven't actually studied physics, plus I'm too lazy, so...

That's it for this update. I'll be back with more levels, new features, and some other secrets up my sleeve. Is that how that expression goes?

Craig
Snowstorm
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 06:11:03 PM »

If possible, add some things that are specific to the feature- i.e. areas you can't use the shotgun while in or buttons you can shoot. The physics seem good but block moving and key gathering puzzles rarely stand out. Put the emphasis on the shotgun and the interesting jumping mechanic you have. The shotgun seems to work great from what I see.

Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 11:59:15 AM »

Those are some cool ideas, thank you!

Craig
Snowstorm
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 12:09:40 PM »

The rotating cube looks pretty good for fake physics Smiley
Not sure what the point of the grabbing mechanic is if you can 'juggle' the cube with your weapon - that direction is more interesting I think.

Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 06:14:11 PM »

Not sure what the point of the grabbing mechanic is if you can 'juggle' the cube with your weapon.

During playtesting I realized that the player might need an easier way to bring the cube to different points in the level, so I implemented the grabbing mechanic.

The only programming trouble I've had is implementing collision abilities while the cube is grabbed, so I just added logic to have the cube return to its original 'x' and 'y' coordinates if the player let's go of it inside some blocks.

If they let go of it outside of the room, well... the A.I. isn't going to be very pleased.

Craig
Snowstorm
Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 06:29:27 PM »

DevLog #6

Oh boy, here's some screenshots of some more levels.

Other than that, I haven't implement any craazy new features that I'd like to show off. Mostly bug fixes. I'm almost done working on the final boss, should be done in a day or two. Don't want to give out any big details, it's a surprise! Then it's time to write the story & dialogue, then maybe some graphics.

Ah, the joys of developing with GM.

Craig
Snowstorm
Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 05:44:42 PM »

DEVLOG #7

So much has been implemented/completed/done since the last update:

• Boss battle
  • Dialogue/narration
  • Closed captions
  • Graphical overhaul
  • Reskinned levels 0 through 2

Here's a couple screenshots of the new levels:

My plan now is to complete/implement these things before beta testing begins:
(anything marked with ** is a possibility/stretch goal)

• Finish reskinning levels
  • Shaders**
  • Sounds & Music
  • Menus
  • Time Attack/Speedrunning Mode**
  • Engine Tech
If the game retains an ambient feel like Portal, I may have to give the game a different name. "Shotgun-mania!" sounds too fast-paced for this type of game. Tongue

During this time, I would love to hear any feedback or ideas for features. I'll update you all soon!

Craig
Snowstorm
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »

Shot in the dark?
Firing stRange?
Unspecified Target
Closed Fire

Tagline: A disease has been contracted in a top secret lab. Stop it from *spreading* with a well-placed *shot*...  Corny Laugh

Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 02:09:12 PM »

Tagline: A disease has been contracted in a top secret lab. Stop it from *spreading* with a well-placed *shot*...  Corny Laugh

Maybe in a mini-game mode someday  Cheesy

Craig
Snowstorm
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »

I know you are far away from the polish stage, but adding some smoke particles will really help to see the direction you're being launched in.

Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 03:19:03 PM »

I know you are far away from the polish stage, but adding some smoke particles will really help to see the direction you're being launched in.

As a matter of fact, that was on my to-do list! :D

Craig
Snowstorm
Snowstorm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »

Do you mean like this? Or did you mean directional particles?
(sorry for the low quality)

Craig
Snowstorm
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic